advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mega Millions Jackpot - How Do You Think Your Life Would Change If You Were To Win?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 23, 2018 01:53PM
I believe the drawing is tonight, but I'm no lottery expert. confused smiley

I never play, except when my sister is visiting from downstate. She always grabs a few for me if the drawing happens during her visit.

Would winning that much dough be a blessing or a curse for you? I'm certain of one thing, good or bad, I believe your life would definitely change.

As for myself, I think it would be a negative in the long run. I've lived a fairly simple, frugal life and at 60 years of age, most of the piss and vinegar are worked out of my system. I am not a fan of traveling for a vacation, so that's out. Plus, you can only have so many possessions. I suppose I would share with most family members, but I don't like the idea of spoiling anyone.

Did I mention I live a simple life? Three squares a day, and a warm place to go to the bathroom and I'm happy. smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mega Millions Jackpot - How Do You Think Your Life Would Change If You Were To Win?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 23, 2018 01:55PM
.....for most.....unfortunately, a curse....most lottery winners don't know how to handle it and lose all of it within a few years......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Mega Millions Jackpot - How Do You Think Your Life Would Change If You Were To Win?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 23, 2018 02:03PM
Donations to charities and causes you deem worthy then??
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 23, 2018 02:03PM
You got work really hard to blow millions! I know it would make my life different!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: October 23, 2018 02:04PM
NewtonMP2100
.....for most.....unfortunately, a curse....most lottery winners don't know how to handle it and lose all of it within a few years......

Citation?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 23, 2018 02:05PM
My plan is very simple. I want a house at my favorite vacation location and I want time to focus on being healthier and playing my ukulele. There are a few cars I would purchase but none of them are exotic. My wife would like to travel more. Both of us want to basically "run away" and let people wonder what happened to us.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: October 23, 2018 02:06PM
I'd be able to buy the best furnace. See my just posted thread seeking advice (assuming I Don't win) below.

Also, I'd spend what it took to insure my name as winner remained anonymous, if possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 02:08PM by Psurfer.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 23, 2018 02:06PM
DeusxMac
NewtonMP2100

Citation?

Here... let me google that for you.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 23, 2018 02:07PM
Rolando
You got work really hard to blow millions! I know it would make my life different!

.....you can find articles and I think there was a documentary once......average is 3-5 years......

Here's why lottery winners go broke

....After winning the biggest undivided jackpot lottery in U.S. history, Mavis L. Wanczyk of Chicopee, Massachusetts, ignored much of the advice that financial experts typically give to lottery winners. She quit her job, spoke with the press and took her winnings as a lump sum. While she may be able to afford to break the rules, most winners can't.

Lottery winners are more likely to declare bankruptcy within three to five years than the average American. What's more, studies have shown that winning the lottery does not necessarily make you happier or healthier.

"Evidence shows that most people who make it to the top one percent of income earners usually don't stay at the top for very long," writes The Washington Post's Jonnelle Marte.

Economist Jay L. Zagorsky agrees with the research. He writes for U.S. News and World Report: "Studies found that instead of getting people out of financial trouble, winning the lottery got people into more trouble, since bankruptcy rates soared for lottery winners three to five years after winning."

Jack Whittaker, who won $315 million in a lottery in West Virginia in 2002, tells Time, "I wish that we had torn the ticket up." Since winning, Whittaker's daughter and granddaughter died due to drug overdoses.

Just eight months after winning, he was robbed of $545,000. "I just don't like Jack Whittaker. I don't like the hard heart I've got," he said. "I don't like what I've become."

"He's the last person I would have prototyped for going completely crazy but he did," Don McNay, a financial consultant to lottery winners and the author of "Life Lessons from the Lottery," tells Time about Whittaker. "No question it was because he won the lottery."

McNay says many winners struggle with suicide, depression and divorce. "It's the curse of the lottery because it made their lives worse instead of improving them," he says.

Another major struggle that winners often face is saying "no" to friends and family who hope to join in on the good fortune.

Charles Conrad, senior financial planner at Szarka Financial, told Teresa Dixon Murray, "Once family and friends learn of the windfall, they have expectations of what they should be entitled to." He explained, "It can be very difficult to say 'no.'"

Of course, some lottery winners survive the tumult and go on to thrive. Missouri lottery winner Sandra Hayes has managed to keep her head above water even after splitting a $224 million Powerball jackpot with 12 coworkers.

"I had to endure the greed and the need that people have, trying to get you to release your money to them. That caused a lot of emotional pain," she told The Associated Press. "These are people who you've loved deep down, and they're turning into vampires trying to suck the life out of me."

The former social worker has avoided financial misfortune by maintaining her frugal lifestyle even though she no longer lives paycheck to paycheck. "I know a lot of people who won the lottery and are broke today," she said. "If you're not disciplined, you will go broke. I don't care how much money you have."

when I say 'most'....just generalizing.....I don't know the exact statistical numbers...........?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 02:08PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Steve G.
I would devote myself full time to posting here...with song lyrics...whatever comes to my mind...with lots of dots........
Then I would buy a golf club and declare myself king.
Date: October 23, 2018 02:12PM
Psurfer
Also, I'd spend what it took to insure my name as winner remained anonymous, if possible.

"Some states require lottery winners to be publicly identified, while in others, they can remain anonymous if they claim the prize through an anonymous trust or a limited liability company. However, signing the back of the lottery ticket with your real name may bind you to claiming the prize under that name, thus releasing your identity to the public even if that’s not what you want."

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 23, 2018 02:12PM
Half a million after taxes is all I want -- mortgage payoff, bill payoff, set up the kids' college funds.

A full million would almost be glutinous*. Wouldn't say no to it.

Still, I think this sums it up nicely:

* should be gluttonous; I let autocorrect fix and didn't pay attention

BTW, it's spelled y'all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 04:54PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: October 23, 2018 02:18PM
I would hire some good tax lawyers and a financial advisor to set aside the vast majority in a trust out of my hands that would guarantee me a more than adequate income for life with the remaining funds being dispersed to family and a number of worthy causes after I'm gone.

Athens, OH
Date: October 23, 2018 02:21PM
Zoidberg
Half a million after taxes is all I want -- mortgage payoff, bill payoff, set up the kids' college funds.

A full million would almost be glutinous. Wouldn't say no to it.

Still, I think this sums it up nicely:

Glutinous.... as in sticky rice and nice sourdough bread?
I know, I know, you mean gluttonous... damn funny, though!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: October 23, 2018 02:28PM
Despite all the doom and gloom/fear-mongering from the propaganda mags, there are very happy lottery winners.

#1 - get a vasectomy
#2- hire a good trustworthy financial advisor or two and take their advice !!

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: October 23, 2018 02:32PM
Paul F.
DeusxMac
NewtonMP2100

Citation?

No question that some (many?) lottery winners go broke, but not seeing anything authoritatively documented that shows "MOST" do. Just things like:
"A comparison of Florida Lottery winners who randomly received $50,000 to $150,000 to small winners indicates that such transfers only postpone bankruptcy rather than prevent it..."

Meaning these bigger winners were going bankrupt anyway; lottery win or not.
Date: October 23, 2018 02:33PM
Steve G.
I would devote myself full time to posting here...with song lyrics...whatever comes to my mind...with lots of dots.........

goodone
Date: October 23, 2018 02:35PM
DeusxMac
Paul F.
DeusxMac
NewtonMP2100

Citation?

No question that some (many?) lottery winners go broke, but not seeing anything authoritatively documented that shows "MOST" do. Just things like:
"A comparison of Florida Lottery winners who randomly received $50,000 to $150,000 to small winners indicates that such transfers only postpone bankruptcy rather than prevent it..."

See? Reading your own research isn't hard... maybe next time, I won't have to post a link for you!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 23, 2018 02:41PM
I'd pay off as much of my student loan as I could. Since it is about as much as the national debt, I have no delusions about paying them off entirely.
Date: October 23, 2018 02:41PM
Paul F.
DeusxMac
Paul F.
DeusxMac
NewtonMP2100

Citation?

See? Reading your own research isn't hard... maybe next time, I won't have to post a link for you!

Sheesh! Could do without the snark.

If someone posts a statement like "most lottery winners...lose it all in a few years" then they should be prepared and able to back it up with references. It's not the reader's responsibility to do so.
Date: October 23, 2018 02:46PM
....that's what a child would say.....'most' is used in conversation 'generally'.......otherwise, I would have said 85% go bankrupt........just be an adult google
'most lottery winners go bankrupt' and look for yourself......or call your mom to do it for you.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 02:46PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 23, 2018 02:59PM
I would remodel the house and get a new Toyota and some Levis that fit well. I would go to some other town to be "Rich Guy."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 23, 2018 03:05PM
archipirata
I would hire some good tax lawyers and a financial advisor to set aside the vast majority in a trust out of my hands that would guarantee me a more than adequate income for life with the remaining funds being dispersed to family and a number of worthy causes after I'm gone.

This is basically what I was going to say. I think I’d also include giving a college or museum enough money to have a building named after me. Because why not.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 23, 2018 03:15PM
The ticket gets signed by the LLC I form to set up trusts. The majority goes into accounts to generate income to keep up with inflation, any overage goes to charities (kind of a mini Buffet).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 23, 2018 03:21PM
Buy another house. Fix it up as needed. Move only what we want into it. Trash the junk leftover at current house. Sell current house.
Buy Tesla Model S.
Walk into the offices of our public school district and ask how money could be spent to fix the budget shortfalls. Evaluate and help out financially where it makes sense. This is the best use of my money and we already do some of this but I'm sure the extra zeroes will help more.

Hire financial adviser for the rest.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 23, 2018 03:23PM
billb
#1 - get a vasectomy

You don't have to win the lottery to do that man! smiley-excited001

I didn't read all the responses so mine are probably more of the same, but-

• No good deed goes unpunished, so no matter how charitable I was I would expect to alienate some acquaintances who expected more.

• It would be a struggle to decide how much to save for my next generation. I feel that children born into money are not always equipped to deal with it, and can wind up worse for it than if they were given nothing at all.
Date: October 23, 2018 03:24PM
NewtonMP2100
....that's what a child would say.....'most' is used in conversation 'generally'.......otherwise, I would have said 85% go bankrupt........just be an adult google
'most lottery winners go bankrupt' and look for yourself......or call your mom to do it for you.......

An articulate adult would know, and could easily express, the dIfference between “most” and “many”.
Posted by: jardster
Date: October 23, 2018 03:34PM
Hookers and booze!

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 23, 2018 03:42PM
  • Trust Funds for Grandchildren
  • Foundation to Honor My Parents
  • Establish a Scholarship Fund for Military Veterans
  • Then go fishing as I hate golf big grin smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 23, 2018 03:43PM
Lew Zealand
Buy another house. Fix it up as needed. Move only what we want into it. Trash the junk leftover at current house. Sell current house.
Buy Tesla Model S.
Walk into the offices of our public school district and ask how money could be spent to fix the budget shortfalls. Evaluate and help out financially where it makes sense. This is the best use of my money and we already do some of this but I'm sure the extra zeroes will help more.

Hire financial adviser for the rest.

I like your thinking, LZ.

Myself, first and foremost would be finding a place to live in a "natural" non-urban environment. Preferably near a lake and in a "woodsy" area. Then I would look for a vehicle with a capacity to carry "things."
I have so many unfulfilled business ideas that I would love to explore and inventions that I would love to develop. In the past, most of my ideas have been fruitful, so having the wherewithal to pursue new ones would give me the inspiration to go on living.

Unfortunately, right now I am feeling so miserable that it would take a miracle like winning the lottery to want to go on, I'm sorry to say.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 23, 2018 04:05PM
That much money? The bulk payout would be around $800 million less taxes of around 40%. So we have ~$500 million to play with

I would set aside $50 million for my wife and I.
$10 million for my son, but not where he could access it all at once. Then some one time gifts (with legal statements saying so) of $1 million to other family members, so a total of $10 million there. Longtime friends and coworkers would get a healthy one-time gift as well (say $250k each)

All of that would still just be in the neighborhood of $100 million, so I still have $400 million. That goes into trusts for some carefully chosen charities.

(oh, and everyone on MRF gets the Mac of their choice on me)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 23, 2018 05:16PM
I don't think that my life would be materially changed, but the town I live in likely would be.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 23, 2018 06:04PM
jardster
Hookers and booze!

Why did it take so many posts for that idea to appear? old fogey smiley

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 23, 2018 07:19PM
lost in space
jardster
Hookers and booze!

Why did it take so many posts for that idea to appear? old fogey smiley

That’s not an idea — it’s a philosophy.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: October 23, 2018 08:01PM
At the level it’s at now, I’d go for the thirty year payout; roughly $30 million a year after taxes if my TooQuick napkin math is right.

Spend a year or so educating myself and building my legal, financial and health infrastructure. Then roughly a year continuing to think about and deciding who this new megawealthy me is and will be.

Then it would be time to get to work.

Pet projects would be a coalition to establish and maintain nationwide midnight/after school sports programs. A parallel program based on arts and STEM. A deep dive study of leadership and public service. Finding and seeding worthwhile leadership figures across the political spectrum.

Rec time would consist of everything from jazz, video games, cooking, woodworking, movies, find what musical instrument have at least some small affinity for, to achieving whatever state of peak physical fitness I’m capable of. Oh, and finally wringing the hell out of a not insignificant knack for languages I seem to have.
Posted by: max
Date: October 23, 2018 08:03PM
I do know how to use the money, educational family trust....

Paul F.
DeusxMac
Paul F.
DeusxMac
NewtonMP2100

Citation?

True dat.....

NewtonMP2100

True dat......
Posted by: vicrock
Date: October 23, 2018 08:26PM
#1 Never fly coach again.

Other than that - probably not a lot different than now - maybe hire someone to clean the house and do the yardwork
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 23, 2018 09:32PM
I RARELY buy Lottery tickets but earlier this evening, I bought ONE. Now that my house is sold, I'm able to travel wherever I want via RV so, I'm actually in good shape. If I were the big winner, I'd have to give a lot of thought as to what (if anything) I'd want to change. After working 50+ years, I know I am VERY fortunate that retired life is GOOD just the way it is! old fogey smiley

One thing I DEFINITELY would do, is have a STRICT policy of ANYONE who called asking/begging/soliciting money would be instantly and permanently BANNED from getting anything from me or my estate.
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 24, 2018 11:35AM
Clearly much more hookers & booze.

But also a nice getaway place, new car for Mrs. JPK, excessively funded college tuition accounts for the kids, some meaningful donations to the charities I support and probably set up some scholarship for some kids in need.

JPK
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 24, 2018 03:45PM
The drawing was held, but I haven't had a chance to check my tickets.
I did find the CA Lottery app which allows you to scan your tickets at home to see if you won anything.
I think that someone had matched the winning numbers, but that still leaves the possibility for a smaller pay off.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018