advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
open the pod bay doors, HAL?!....Happy 17th birthday to the original iPod......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 24, 2018 07:33AM
......the good ol' days....

Happy 17th Birthday to Apple's Original iPod

....17 years ago today, then Apple CEO Steve Jobs stood on stage at the Apple Town Hall in Cupertino, California and showed off the very first iPod, a palm-sized device that held an entire music library and helped bring Apple back to profitability.

As Jobs introduced the first iPod, he called it a quantum leap forward in technology and outlined its three major breakthrough features: ultra-portability, Apple's legendary ease of use, and auto-sync with iTunes.

iPod is an MP3 music player, has CD quality music, and it plays all of the popular formats of open music. The biggest thing about iPod is that it holds a thousand songs. Now this is a quantum leap because for most people, it's their entire music library. This is huge.

How many times have you gone on the road with a CD player and said 'Oh God, I didn't bring the CD I wanted to listen to.' To have your whole music library with you at all times is a quantum leap in listening to music. The coolest thing about iPod is that your whole music library fits right in your pocket. Never before possible.

The first-generation iPod was advertised as the device that put "1,000 songs in your pocket," with the music stored on its 5GB 1.8-inch hard drive. Priced starting at $399, the first iPod lasted for 10 hours before needing to be recharged.

Apple's original iPod featured a black and white LCD and Apple's first click wheel, a simple, intuitive mechanical scrolling interface designed to let users quickly scroll through long lists of music.

The click wheel, which became an iconic feature of Apple's iPod lineup, included easy access buttons for playing, pausing, rewinding, and fast forwarding through music content.

Following the launch of the first iPod, new versions followed on a yearly basis.

Other notable updates included the iPod Photo in 2004, which had the first color display; the smaller iPod mini, which also came in 2004; the smaller and more portable iPod nano, introduced in 2005; the tiny iPod shuffle, even smaller than the nano, which came in 2005; the third-generation iPod nano "fatty" with a wider, squatter body, introduced in 2007; and the first iPod touch, also released in 2007.

Today, the iPod has been largely replaced with the iPhone, which was first introduced in 2007. Today's iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR feature music storage and Apple Music, along with messaging and calling capabilities, a full App Store, and so much more.

Apple retired the iPod nano and the iPod shuffle in July of 2017, and has slimmed down the iPod lineup to a single iPod -- the iPod touch. Apple has not updated the iPod touch since 2015, and it's likely that at some point, the entire iPod lineup may be put to rest for good.

It's not clear when that might happen, and for now, the iPod touch remains available for sale. It can be purchased from Apple for $199 for 32GB of storage or $299 for 128GB of storage.

Unfortunately, there have been no rumors of an update, so Apple's future plans for the iPod remain up in the air.

time really does fly...........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: open the pod bay doors, HAL?!....Happy 17th birthday to the original iPod......
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 24, 2018 08:18AM
I never understood Apple's decision to discontinue the Nano and Shuffle while keeping the Touch. I saw the Shuffle being purchased quite regularly, and at times even in mass quantities by small businesses to use as employee perks. For $50-$80 you would get a tiny music library device that could go about anywhere and not attract negative attention. The Touch lose out to used iPhones for less money.
Re: open the pod bay doors, HAL?!....Happy 17th birthday to the original iPod......
Posted by: mstudio
Date: October 24, 2018 08:34AM
Sam3
I never understood Apple's decision to discontinue the Nano and Shuffle while keeping the Touch. I saw the Shuffle being purchased quite regularly, and at times even in mass quantities by small businesses to use as employee perks. For $50-$80 you would get a tiny music library device that could go about anywhere and not attract negative attention. The Touch lose out to used iPhones for less money.

I thought the same. I own a few Nanos and use them regularly, I have a Touch that I never use because of my iPhone.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 24, 2018 09:35AM
the Nano

Big punch from a small package-

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 24, 2018 11:27AM
All my nanos were driven/listened into the ground. Is it more convenient to have one device with my music on it (iPhone)? Yes, but still the Nano was more ergonomic. Actually I still have 2x 5th gen Nanos but the batteries are toast.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 24, 2018 01:20PM
Sam3

That change occurred right about the time Apple decided it is a better purveyor of what you want than you are.

It is what it is.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 24, 2018 04:31PM
By the way, I just learned a little while ago that HAL was used as the name for the computer as a dig at IBM. The letters H, A, and L are the letters that immediately precede I, B, and M.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 24, 2018 09:26PM
In a lot a of ways, the Watch is replacing the iPod. I say they should make a basic watch and name its the iPod...

I keep a Nano 4G in my car, with 400 of my favorite songs, direct USB connection.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 25, 2018 08:13AM
DP
By the way, I just learned a little while ago that HAL was used as the name for the computer as a dig at IBM. The letters H, A, and L are the letters that immediately precede I, B, and M.

Arthur C. Clarke denied that vociferously, he said many times (including in the pages of "2010") that it was just a coincidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 08:13AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 25, 2018 09:43AM
I still have my 6th Gen Nano, an 80G Classic, the very first iPod (5GB), a Touch Wheel version, and the one with the four capacitive buttons on the front. I have one more, though I can't recall what flavor it is.

Everybody thought it was black, from looking at the ads in Macworld and elsewhere.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018