advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Suppose A Proposal To 'Eliminate The Time Change' Were On The Ballot Tuesday - Pass Or Fail?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 04, 2018 11:35AM
Poll
Would It Pass Or Fail?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
49 votes were received.
Pass 31

63%
Fail 10

20%
I don't know 0

0%
I don't care 4

8%
Shut UP, Rick-o!! 0

0%
I'm M A V I C 4

8%

Well?

I vote ELIMINATE!!!!

As I always post here every year, PICK ONE OR THE OTHER AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!! cursing smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suppose A Proposal To 'Eliminate The Time Change' Were On The Ballot Tuesday - Pass Or Fail?
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 04, 2018 11:39AM
Rick-o
Well?

I vote ELIMINATE!!!!

As I always post here every year, PICK ONE OR THE OTHER AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!! cursing smiley

I agree.
All the cats in the world agree.
Let’s make this happen.
Hope and No Time Change. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Suppose A Proposal To 'Eliminate The Time Change' Were On The Ballot Tuesday - Pass Or Fail?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 04, 2018 11:54AM
Permanent normal as God intended standard time, or DST, also known as Satan's time?

There is a ballot like this in California...
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: November 04, 2018 11:59AM
rgG
Rick-o
Well?

I vote ELIMINATE!!!!

I agree.
All the cats in the world agree.
Let’s make this happen.
Hope and No Time Change. grinning smiley

Yes, I do!ROTFL
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 04, 2018 12:09PM
I want permanent Daylight Saving(s) Time.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 04, 2018 12:39PM
I too would vote to end Daylight Savings Time. The need for it has LONG passed. Let's KISS! boink smiley
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 04, 2018 12:54PM
RAMd®d

That'd be fine for me, too.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 04, 2018 01:10PM
Maybe we should propose a compromise for the standoff between those wanting DST all year round and those wanting Standard time all year round and have DST for 7 months and Standard time for 5.
Sound like a plan ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mstudio
Date: November 04, 2018 01:15PM
The sun is still out here...ask me again in 4 or 5 hours.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 04, 2018 01:36PM
I'd go full Daleks on that sucker if given the opportunity.
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 04, 2018 01:55PM
freeradical
Permanent normal as God intended standard time, or DST, also known as Satan's time?

But it means nothing if the Feds don't approve it.

Chances of that?

So it's just a protest vote for now.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 04, 2018 02:30PM
I like it the way it is now. DST forever.
Date: November 04, 2018 02:32PM
bfd
freeradical

Chances of that?

Nah, states have the ability to opt out. Arizona and Hawaii don't observe daylight time at all.
Posted by: Pat
Date: November 04, 2018 02:34PM
Will Collier
bfd
freeradical

Chances of that?

Nah, states have the ability to opt out. Arizona and Hawaii don't observe daylight time at all.

The ballot proposal is for permanent DST.
If it passes, the federal government would have to approve it
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 04, 2018 03:02PM
RAMd®d
agree smiley

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 04, 2018 03:23PM
As Gos as my witness, I laugh every time I see I'm M A V I C on a poll.

Oh, yeah, and the turkey thing, too.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 04, 2018 04:18PM
sekker
RAMd®d

That'd be fine for me, too.

Me, too.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 04, 2018 04:41PM
Pat
Will Collier
bfd
freeradical

Chances of that?

Yup, I'll be voting for permanent DST, but it won't mean anything if we don't get Federal approval. We could vote for permanent standard time without needing Federal approval, but permanent standard time wouldn't be great here.
Posted by: DP
Date: November 04, 2018 06:41PM
Stay with DST. It would effectively make me on Central Time but I like the light evenings. Some say it would be too dark then in the morning but it's dark now for the kids at bus stops. Which may be another discussion about the talk to start school later so the kids aren't asleep for the first two hours!

Things should be changed anyway. There are parts of the Central Time Zone that are as far East as I am (SE lower MI).

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: November 04, 2018 06:47PM
Pat
Will Collier
bfd
freeradical

Chances of that?

Ah, okay. Florida wants to do the same thing (which is nuts for the Central Time Panhandle, but nobody asked me....).
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 04, 2018 08:27PM
Pick one - I don't care which one and stick with it. There was an interesting article I came across recently showing the effect of permanent one or the other - [mentalfloss.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 08:30PM by vicrock.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 04, 2018 11:03PM
I'd vote for it, but the question of "would it pass"? Im in Texas, so if the campaign was "return to God's time!" it might!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: November 05, 2018 08:00AM
Are you asking whether we'd vote Yay or Nay, or whether we think it would pass country-wide?

I will say that while I think I'd be fine with doing away with it, it *is* nice having longer days in the summer, and as someone who goes out exercising (rollerblading) in the early (6 am) morning, having it get light a little earlier now, is pretty nice.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 05, 2018 08:26AM
The question is, if this can't or won't happen nationally, are the yeah voters OK with elimination or freezes being made on the local level? That's a disaster—especially near time zone borders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 08:27AM by datbeme.
Date: November 05, 2018 09:20AM
datbeme
The question is, if this can't or won't happen nationally, are the yeah voters OK with elimination or freezes being made on the local level? That's a disaster—especially near time zone borders.

Yeah, if you look at the time zone map, the zones are absolutely drawn with political concerns in mind. The point is to keep cities that are close to each other in the same zone, even if it means the line zigzags all over the place, or if a small section of a state is in a different zone than the bulk of a state. This is why I doubt the feds will approve permanent DST.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 05, 2018 02:26PM
Let's just get rid of timezones all together while we are at it! It would be so much simpler if it was 3:26pm everywhere in the world at the same actual time. Who cares if that is the dark of night or full sun of daytime? smiling smiley
Posted by: Schpark
Date: November 05, 2018 03:49PM
Let's just split the difference

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: November 05, 2018 03:50PM
mikebw
Let's just get rid of timezones all together while we are at it! It would be so much simpler if it was 3:26pm everywhere in the world at the same actual time. Who cares if that is the dark of night or full sun of daytime? smiling smiley

The Chinese (PRC) model.
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 08, 2018 05:02PM
RAMd®d
THIS! And maybe make it two hours. I love coming home from work while it's still light. I don't do anything productive in the early morning anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018