advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help Me Identify iPhone 6s? Apple Store Misadventures
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 04, 2018 08:39PM
Bought my mom an iPhone 6s refurb via Apple Store a year ago. The battery started going kaput within 6 months; she finally made it to the local Genius Bar the other day. She's a few weeks out of the one-year warranty. They charged her $30 for the batt replacement (I thought this would be included as a recall item?) ...then they replaced battery, and returned to tell her that they replaced the battery, and turned on the phone, and that the phone didn't work. Wut?

They replaced it with another 6s (I'm assuming it's a refurb) but this one works only on Verizon/Sprint (MODEL A1688 - CDMA only) vs universal (CDMA/GSM). They did not refund the $30 batt fee...I still think this is odd since apparently they did something to her phone that bricked it while repairing it. Also, the batt was defective to start with...still scratching my head on all this.

Something else odd - the AS employee who helped her with the repair/replace asked her where she got the phone. My mom told her "I ordered it through apple refurb store" -- the girl said she had no way of finding that out. I found this incredulous as we ordered the phone via my mom's apple ID, they had the serial right there in front of them on that iPhone, and everything.

So I'm trying to confirm if the refurb I bought for her a year ago was universal. IIRC, it was both CDMA/GSM; my thinking was it wouldn't matter if she wanted to switch carriers. They kept her old phone.

I'm trying to definitively determine if her old phone was both CDMA-GSM or not. All I could pull off the email order was FKQN2LL/A, and the phone serial number. As for the FKQ number - I haven't had much luck googling and I'm wondering why - is this a special kind of Apple refurb?

Looking up the serial number, it looks to me like the phone I originally bought her in 2017 was indeed universal - both GSM & CDMA. But I confirmed via only one site I found where you can look up phone model by serial# - and to me, that's not quite enough.

Wondering if anyone has any other tips for confirming phone model so I can take the phone back into Apple (if I can confirm 100% that she had a universal one) and get the proper replacement.

She's elderly and doesn't know the first thing about iPhone models; gotta say it ticks me off that they gave her a CDMA-only phone if her old one was both CDMA-GSM; and I'm still trying to parse the battery fee. Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help Me Identify iPhone 6s? Apple Store Misadventures
Posted by: billb
Date: November 04, 2018 09:07PM
A1688 isn't CDMA ONLY, it's GSM +CDMA - the only band it's missing is AT&T's band 30 that AT&T uses in sone congested areas.
It's a global phone also sold and used in Europe.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 04, 2018 09:15PM
I think they gave her the more desirable/better phone. Unless she happens to need that ATT band.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 04, 2018 09:15PM
A1688 is global phone. [www.techwalls.com]
iPhone models go by Model number NOT by serial number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 09:16PM by Carm.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 04, 2018 09:53PM
This is great news, thanks, you guys. One less hassle!
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: November 04, 2018 10:52PM
I'll take the battery part - it's a cost reduction for 2018. A kind of mea culpa for the throttling implemented without the owners knowledge. Not a recall. I believe on Jan 1, that battery replacement will rise to $49
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 04, 2018 11:13PM
As for the $30 fee for the battery, it was out of warranty (standard reduced fee) I’d take that fee for a newer refurb. I would be mad if they killed her phone and gave her a lesser phone as you had thought. They have been getting stricter about their generosity if you have no coverage (my phone with dropped cell coverage)

I had my wife go in for a battery swap and screen issue, one of the geniuses said the volume “button was bad” still within AppleCare warranty. Paid the fee ($99, for a refurb). Took care of battery issue, screen pixels issue, and “bad button”

Friend just had the Audio IC chip issue on her iPhone 7 Plus. Dropped too many times or bent. No clue, didn’t ask. Told her to contact her phone insurance through carrier (no AppleCare) they said $225 fee. (She broke her screen last year and had it replaced, no fee from her insurance last to time) Told her to try Apple support, she said she would try this weekend. I read on MacRumors that Apple stopped covering said issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018