advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What kind of cat 6 do I need?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 06, 2018 08:49PM
Since they are basically going to tear off the top of my house to rebuild after the tree was removed< I figured I'd take this opportunity to run some ethernet down through my walls. The biggest advantage is that I'll have access to the ridge plate that will let me go from one side of the attic to the other. Something that was impossible before.

Anyway, I figured I'll need a couple hundred feet and I may as well run at least two lines to each drop since I'm going through the trouble. I'll probably run some to the corners of the house for some future security cameras. So I know I'm going to use Cat 6. Is there a particular brand or kind I need? Or just get the cheapest box of 500 feet? I guess Ideally, I'd get three boxes of 500 feet. So i could have three different colors. Just for my own OCD.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 06, 2018 09:02PM
Unless it is going to be run in conduit or completely enclosed and protected from fire, get plenum rated cable. The jacket will be made of material that will not release large amounts of toxic gases if it burns.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What kind of cat 6 do I need?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 06, 2018 09:04PM
I would say get the best CAT6 cable you can find. jdc will say meh, it's all WiFi anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 09:04PM by space-time.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 06, 2018 09:27PM
Plenum rated and get a good brand. I bought the cheap stuff once and regretted it. Doesn’t pull nice and the wires are thin and not flexible.

Also, no point in different color cable, you never see it. Could do different color jacks if you wanted but I don’t see the point in a house. In business if you have separate voice and data lines you use different colors. Or if you have runs that go from one location to another for a projector or something make those different colored jacks.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 09:29PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 06, 2018 09:46PM
C(-)ris
Plenum rated and get a good brand. I bought the cheap stuff once and regretted it. Doesn’t pull nice and the wires are thin and not flexible.

Also, no point in different color cable, you never see it. Could do different color jacks if you wanted but I don’t see the point in a house. In business if you have separate voice and data lines you use different colors. Or if you have runs that go from one location to another for a projector or something make those different colored jacks.

This.

It is what it is.
Posted by: clay
Date: November 06, 2018 10:13PM
I've had good luck with [www.firefold.com] for Cat6 and keystone jacks/wall plates. I think they're somewhat in your neck of the woods, perhaps. Better total pricing for me compared with monoprice, so that's the route I've gone the past couple of times I've needed it.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 07, 2018 04:55AM
Scottish Fold
Russian Blue
British Shorthair
Turkish Angora
Egyptian Mau
Havana Brown

or for crossovers

Selkirk Rex
Chartreux
Devon Rex
Manx
Cornish Rex
Sphynx
==
Date: November 07, 2018 06:15AM
C(-)ris
Plenum rated and get a good brand.

I know to avoid Samsung appliances. I know I prefer Macs to PCs. Denon makes a great receiver. But I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about bulk ethernet brands. Something like this?

Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 07, 2018 06:26AM
curious as to why cat6 over cat 5 for res or doesn't it make a difference.?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 07, 2018 07:35AM
my guess is future proof. Also the bulk of the cost is installation (either your own labor, or pay someone else), not the materials.
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 07, 2018 08:00AM
I agree with getting good quality cat 6 cable, but am unclear why anyone would recommend plenum rated cable for a residential install.

It's much more expensive, and it's purpose is so that not give off noxious fumes if installed in a plenum/air return system. How is that applicable to a residential install?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 07, 2018 08:03AM
Cat6 can support 1Gig over longer distances than Cat5e, and also provide for up to 10G in many instances. Cat6A does the same but over even longer runs.
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 07, 2018 08:39AM
If you think you need 500'. Purchase 750'.
Ehhhh... just get 1000' and be done with it.
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: November 07, 2018 08:43AM
You already have thousands of feet cable in the house that is NOT plenum rated. None of your electrical, phone or cable TV wiring would be. This goes along with all the other engineered wood, foam, fabric, plastic or glue products in the house that could potentially create fumes. I wouldn't be concerned about a few hundred feet of cat 6 cable.

Plenum rated cable is required for many commercial spaces because above the ceiling or chase spaces often double as a return air for hvac or air handling. Running Cat 6 or any type of wiring within the walls or attic space of a house is not the same type of installation and does not require plenum rating. Plenum rating adds about 2-3 times more to the cost.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 07, 2018 09:42AM
space-time
I would say get the best CAT6 cable you can find. jdc will say meh, it's all WiFi anyway.

This.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2018 11:11AM
Buzz
.... many cat breeds ....
SHELTER CAT !!!!
Always. Four or our five cats are humane society adoptions. #5 just volunteered as tribute by showing up in our front yard as a scared and sickly kitten.
Date: November 07, 2018 11:16AM
OK and the actual cable answer...
Design a 'Backbone' with at least two cables to run from one side of the attic to the other. Basic Cat 6 is good enough.

It may also be time to add a 115VAC circuit if you think you need it. NOT next to the Cat 6 cable, please. Or in a grounded EMT conduit run. Ground loops are nasty things... I once experienced a 10KV ground loop on an analog signal line buried under a high voltage transmission line. Fried the heck out of a serial port.. I had to put optoisolators in the circuit.
Date: November 07, 2018 11:23AM
I have a closet upstairs where I was thinking of installing a switch. So all the upstairs would be homeruns to that closet. Then I'd have one cable running downstairs to my Harry Potter closet that houses my interweb connection as well as my main networking equipment.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2018 11:24AM

Hey, it's the internet. I'm allowed to post this.
Date: November 07, 2018 11:30AM
bazookaman
I have a closet upstairs where I was thinking of installing a switch. So all the upstairs would be homeruns to that closet. Then I'd have one cable running downstairs to my Harry Potter closet that houses my interweb connection as well as my main networking equipment.
That should do it. I once bought a punchdown block so I could 'wire my house up right'. Eh. too much work. I ended up with a daisy chain of gigabit switches on Cat5.

I will stress the idea.. ALWAYS have a spare line run. You may never use it, but if you need it , you'll be thankful it's there.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 07, 2018 11:58AM
....siamese cat.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 07, 2018 01:19PM
mikebw
Cat6 can support 1Gig over longer distances than Cat5e, and also provide for up to 10G in many instances. Cat6A does the same but over even longer runs.

This is not entirely correct. Per ANSI/TIA 568, supported speeds across different cable types are:

- Cat 5e, Cat 6 and Cat 6A all support 1 Gbps across the entire 100 meter max permissible channel length.
- Cat 6 supports 10 Gbps only up to 55 meters channel length.
- Cat 6A supports 10 Gbps across the entire 100 meter max permissible channel length.

It is what it is.
Date: November 07, 2018 01:33PM
iamrfixit
You already have thousands of feet cable in the house that is NOT plenum rated. None of your electrical, phone or cable TV wiring would be. This goes along with all the other engineered wood, foam, fabric, plastic or glue products in the house that could potentially create fumes. I wouldn't be concerned about a few hundred feet of cat 6 cable.

Plenum rated cable is required for many commercial spaces because above the ceiling or chase spaces often double as a return air for hvac or air handling. Running Cat 6 or any type of wiring within the walls or attic space of a house is not the same type of installation and does not require plenum rating.

This is technically correct. The spaces above the ceiling referred to by iamrfixit is called the plenum, hence the term "plenum-rated" in reference to cable approved for installation in such a space. Whether to use plenum-rated cable for this application comes down to how much peace of mind it will provide OP to do so.

Note that it is technically non-NEC compliant to run cables inside walls unless they are in conduit.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 07, 2018 02:03PM
N-OS X-tasy!
mikebw

This is not entirely correct. Per ANSI/TIA 568, supported speeds across different cable types are:

- Cat 5e, Cat 6 and Cat 6A all support 1 Gbps across the entire 100 meter max permissible channel length.
- Cat 6A supports 10 Gbps across the entire 100 meter max permissible channel length.

Thanks for the clarification!

My take-away is if you ever want to go 10Gbps in your average sized home, then get Cat6. Otherwise 5e should be fine.
Date: November 07, 2018 06:32PM
You mentioned security cameras... lots of them use coax, or siamese BNC

Of course, Id just go wireless =)

Power to cameras, as opposed to batteries, would be a bigger concern for me. Of course, Ive seen wireless cameras rated at 4 months on a single battery charge... so impressive.

----

Date: November 07, 2018 07:24PM
jdc

Power to cameras, as opposed to batteries, would be a bigger concern for me. Of course, Ive seen wireless cameras rated at 4 months on a single battery charge... so impressive.

I'm thinking POE cameras.

Date: November 07, 2018 07:36PM
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!
mikebw

Thanks for the clarification!

My take-away is if you ever want to go 10Gbps in your average sized home, then get Cat6. Otherwise 5e should be fine.

That's a good summation.

It is what it is.
Date: November 07, 2018 07:38PM
jdc

Not anymore - most modern surveillance cameras are IP-based, either wired or wireless. If wired, they can be powered via Power over Ethernet (PoE).

It is what it is.
Date: November 07, 2018 09:58PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Not anymore - most modern surveillance cameras are IP-based, either wired or wireless. If wired, they can be powered via Power over Ethernet (PoE).

Good to know. Last time I looked PoE cameras were severely limited -- 180p, B/W, slow to start, etc, etc. Wasnt pretty.

All these new wireless cameras with the 4+ month battery life seem like the way to go now days. No cables of any type.

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018