Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Texas teen with special needs scores 50-yard touchdown
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 07, 2018 03:26PM
[www.cbsnews.com]

For four years, special needs student Kieran Johnson practiced with the Montwood High School football team and was their biggest supporter during games. But the high school senior from Texas has never played in a varsity game.

Johnson has Williams Syndrome, a developmental disorder, and received open heart surgery when he was just 2 years old, KDBC reports. Despite this, he has always had an unwavering spirit.

Last week, the football team wanted to uplift Johnson, the way he uplifts them every week. Head coach Ariel Famaligi said Johnson is the team's biggest supporter, so to show him how much the team cares, they had him suit up for senior night on Friday. The team gave Johnson an opportunity to score a touchdown – and he took it.

When he received the ball, he knew just what to do. Johnson sprinted to the end zone, his teammates trailing behind him, and scored a 50-yard touchdown. Players hoisted him in the air in victory.

The experience meant a lot to the high school senior, who loves football more than anything. "I turn on my beast mode and whatever happens, happens, and it happens for a reason," Johnson said.

"All I saw was the goal line and I went for it. Game on, man. I tried and I made it baby!" he told KDBC after the touchdown. "I'm feeling great after that one. Great touchdown, great play, great drive. Way to get it done by my boys and myself."

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas teen with special needs scores 50-yard touchdown
Posted by: hal
Date: November 07, 2018 04:05PM
IT was clearly staged - a little surprising that it's not mentioned in the video or the article, but Johnson's emotions certainly were real. Very sweet story.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 07, 2018 04:23PM
I love these stories.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 07, 2018 04:39PM
IT was clearly staged - a little surprising that it's not mentioned in the video or the article

Assuming you're correct...

Johnson's emotions certainly were real. Very sweet story.

...that's a very good reason not to mention it. Fake news has upsides.

Some people have the need to pee on anything good, and it's usually for no other reason than they're being jerks. They can't wait.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2018 05:21PM
Interesting; I was not familiar with Williams Syndrome.

“…individuals with Williams syndrome exhibit impressive social and verbal abilities. Williams patients can be highly verbal relative to their IQ.”

“Among the hallmark traits of individuals with Williams syndrome is an apparent lack of social inhibition. ... 100% of those with Williams syndrome were kind-spirited, 90% sought the company of others, 87% empathize with others' pain, 84% are caring, 83% are unselfish/forgiving, 75% never go unnoticed in a group, and 75% are happy when others do well.”
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 08, 2018 04:33AM
Sounds like a remake of the 1993 movie “Rudy”
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 08, 2018 05:04AM
I wouldn't say staged, as much as his coach getting together with the other coach and saying, hey, let this kid of ours get a touchdown, and the other team just pulling back. The play was real, but it's obvious looking at the other team, that they are just trotting along, letting him make the touchdown.

I think it was a very sweet thing for the other team to do. I also think that the game was not close, and a championship was not on the line.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2018 10:03AM
“…individuals with Williams syndrome exhibit impressive social and verbal abilities. Williams patients can be highly verbal relative to their IQ.”

That's for that.

Reading the article, the boy didn't sound like a special needs person at all.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018