advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do you keep your stove clean?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 07, 2018 07:04PM
No Cooking or "I don't know, I'll ask the cleaning lady" is not the correct answer. How do YOU keep the stove clean? especially the burners and the cast iron grill that holds the pots? the white part I can clean pretty well.

I just took this one, it looks pretty bad at the moment, usually it is much better than this. But still I cannot get the cast iron parts clean.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do you keep your stove clean?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 07, 2018 07:08PM
These folks say baking soda, elbow grease, and magic erasers....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2018 07:08PM
I have never cleaned the cast pieces on our 28 year old stove. They are self cleaning whenever the burners run. I suppose you could drop them from a low height (one foot) onto a hard surface like your concrete garage floor until the cinders are lodged free.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 07, 2018 07:13PM
mine look the same or worse on a 10yo.
I do the best I can with Dawn and a green 3M.
Short of a strip and repaint, I think it is what it is.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 07, 2018 07:13PM
Dishwasher. Put in self cleaning oven and run cleaning cycle. Or oven cleaner.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 07, 2018 07:17PM
.....demand it.....have standards....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 07, 2018 07:31PM
I think by its nature cast iron will drive you crazy if you try to keep it too clean. Like trying to clean a dirt floor.
Date: November 07, 2018 07:40PM
Dennis S
I think by its nature cast iron will drive you crazy if you try to keep it too clean. Like trying to clean a dirt floor.

well, I think it is cast iron. it is covered with some soft of enamel or something smooth and shiny.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 07, 2018 07:50PM
Cast Iron? Usually burns itself clean
The Porcelain top? I've taken it to the car wash and used the engine degreaser, then wash and rinse thoroughly

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 07, 2018 08:28PM
Your cast iron parts look like they are powder coated with porcelain enamel. If so, a trip through the oven's self-cleaning cycle would clean them up.

We have a flat glass electric cooktop. It's now 30 years old, and the black enamel on the edges is wearing off, but the glass looks pretty good. I've even hit the glass with steel wool to get off baked on stuff, or carefully scraped with a razor blade. We've got some of the fancy glass cooktop cleaner, but I don't generally use it. Usually a 3M sponge with the plastic scrubber side, followed by the sponge side, is all that's needed.

Note: Don't use steel wool on a porcelain enamel top. It will scratch. Soft Scrub is as far as I'd go, but read directions first. And I think even Soft Scrub will eventually dull the porcelain enamel.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 07, 2018 08:35PM
We do pay someone to clean the stove. She uses various soaks and scrubs, that include vinegar, baking soda, and oxy clean, and of course a fair amount of elbow grease. The grates also occasionally end up in the dishwasher. No real shortcuts. The cast iron grates do have a subtle texture to them, and when we stroll by appliance shops, I drool over stoves with super-heavy, smooth finish grates, but they tend to be rather expensive.

We replaced our gas cooktop a couple of years ago, and waited until Sears had a "50% off appliances event", then got an add'l ~10% off, so for $440, we did pretty good for the $1069 MSRP cooktop. Best I could haggle for a cooktop with super-heavy, smooth finish grates was about $800, so even though my brain says those grates are easier to clean, it wasn't convinced it made any difference when it came to the actual cooking.

Your grates actually look smoother than ours, so they should be fairly easy to clean; though they also look like they're enameled, which means you have to be careful about chipping the finish. IOW, Speedy was (hopefully) tongue-in-cheek about the dropping on concrete; don't do that w/ enameled grates. The self-cleaning cycle in the oven, per btfc, is also a bit draconian. Naturally, about 8 months after we got our cooktop Sears discontinued that model.
==
Date: November 07, 2018 09:15PM
....don't ever cook.....takeout forever......!!!!

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 07, 2018 09:24PM
Alright...here is the answer you have been looking for: Put grates in ziplock bag overnight with ammonia

[lifehacker.com]

We also have drip pans under our grates that are similarly porcelain enameled. They are too large for ziplock, so I have put them in a small garbage bag with some ammonia and then twist tied shut and left overnight.

There will still be some light scrubbing need, but it is definitely a hundred times better than other solutions.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 07, 2018 10:00PM
fwiw, your grills dont look cast iron. Or maybe on the inside, but seem to have a coating?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 07, 2018 10:16PM
If your grates are coated cast iron - putting the grates in a ziplock bag overnight with ammonia works great.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 07, 2018 10:22PM
usually a baking soda paste or vinegar is enough
I've even used pickle juice
although one should be careful if said pickle juice at one time contained hot peppers.
whatever is handy

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 08, 2018 04:11AM
I’M SUPPOSED TO CLEAN MY STOVE????. facepalm
Date: November 08, 2018 05:41AM
jdc
fwiw, your grills dont look cast iron. Or maybe on the inside, but seem to have a coating?

as I said earlier, they do have a coating. I am not sure if it is some porcelain, enamel, or powder coating, but yes, there is a coating.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: November 08, 2018 07:59AM
The only residue on the burner grills is uncooked. Burn it clean by putting each one on top of its neighbor and cook on High until they wire brush clean. Do them all at once by broiling them in the oven.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Date: November 08, 2018 08:04AM
....not sure if this is a good answer but parents used to use the oven cleaner 'Easy off' the type with less fumes........

....end of evening spray, leave overnight, then clean next day.....the gunk would just wash off.......

Posted by: Winston
Date: November 08, 2018 09:05AM
space-time
as I said earlier, they do have a coating. I am not sure if it is some porcelain, enamel, or powder coating, but yes, there is a coating.

All three. A glass-like powder was applied to the parts, then baked at very high temperature to cause the powder to melt. Per Merriam-Webster online:

Enamel
1: a usually opaque vitreous composition applied by fusion to the surface of metal, glass, or pottery

Porcelain
1 : a hard, fine-grained, sonorous, nonporous, and usually translucent and white ceramic ware that consists essentially of kaolin, quartz, and a feldspathic rock and is fired at a high temperature

from Wikipedia
Porcelain Enamel (Vitreous enamel)
"Vitreous enamel, also called porcelain enamel, is a material made by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing, usually between 750 and 850 °C (1,380 and 1,560 °F). The powder melts, flows, and then hardens to a smooth, durable vitreous coating. The word comes from the Latin vitreum, meaning "glassy".

Enamel can be used on metal, glass, ceramics, stone, or any material that will withstand the fusing temperature. In technical terms fired enamelware is an integrated layered composite of glass and another material (or more glass). The term "enamel" is most often restricted to work on metal . . ."

I think "porcelain" is used with the term "enamel" to distinguish from other meanings of the word enamel, as it can just mean glossy (as with paint).

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2018 09:50AM
By never using it, almost.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 08, 2018 10:04AM
I have a glass cook top. Easy peazy.
Date: November 08, 2018 11:27AM
RAMd®d
By never using it, almost.

"No Cooking" is not the correct answer. It was part of the game. You cheated! devil smiley
Date: November 08, 2018 11:31AM
....would Stove Top.......Stuffin' help.....???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018