advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Triggered my bank’s algorithm for debit card fraud prevention
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 08, 2018 02:47AM
I should have recognized it would happen.

1) make online purchase from home (a little over $100)
2) join a drop at Massdrop ($1 “test” charge)
3) buy snack at hospital cafeteria out of town (brother-in-law may have had heart attack but is doing OK) and the $4 purchase is declined

Separately, no problem. Together, eh I can see how that could be a bad pattern.

They text me to ask if I made the purchase. I answer YES but get another text saying I still need to call to remove the card block. Had this happen once before but recall the circumstances. B of A debit card I use all the time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Triggered my bank’s algorithm for debit card fraud prevention
Date: November 08, 2018 03:12AM
Actually I’m told it was myocardial infarction (heart attack) and he had several classic symptoms today. For several hours today his mom (former nurse) begged him to go to the ER when he described how he felt and he finally did after she threatened to drive 45 minutes in the dark, something she would never do these days, to reach him. Haven’t seen the EKG yet so I don’t know STEMI from NSTEMI.

And thus endeth my Internet Knowledge on the subject.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 08, 2018 04:55AM
I'm glad he took his mother's advice!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 08, 2018 07:48AM
I bought gas at a station about 4 miles away from where I normally buy last weekend. That was enough to trigger mine. I used BOA's app to turn it back on.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2018 07:51AM
....Trigger was Roy Rogers horse.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 08, 2018 08:16AM
p8712
I bought gas at a station about 4 miles away from where I normally buy last weekend. That was enough to trigger mine. I used BOA's app to turn it back on.

I have their app but didn’t know that was an option. The phone call was quick but I’ll poke around in the app next time.
Posted by: dk62
Date: November 08, 2018 12:41PM
Keep in mind they are protecting themselves and not you. This is a real PITA if you are traveling internationally a lot - I canceled a few cards that declined my purchases when traveling. I have no intention of letting the bank know every time I leave the country.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: November 08, 2018 03:31PM
dk62
Keep in mind they are protecting themselves and not you. This is a real PITA if you are traveling internationally a lot - I canceled a few cards that declined my purchases when traveling. I have no intention of letting the bank know every time I leave the country.

Yeah, both Visa and Mastercard are now a real PITA to use outside the US, like traveling thru Canada. They always want to lecture me that I'm not longer in the US - like it didn't pay attention in grade school geography class. My comeback comment to them is, "that probably explains the border guards when I crossed into Canada."

My favorite card for travel outside the US is Amex though. Never have to tell them I'm going and they've never declined my use on travel. Once did a business trip to Europe and racked up over $10K worth of charges without a problem. Got home and got a call from them the next weekend that a $7 iTunes purchase didn't look right to them, and it wasn't mine. The next day they had a new card at my front door. They also caught that someone tried to use my card for a pizza party in India when my use of the card showed I was still at home in the US. They're really good at finding and handling card fraud without being intrusive and annoying like Visa and MC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018