advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Calling photographers - is it worth it to get a new monitor calibrator?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 08, 2018 12:31PM
I have an old i1 monitor calibrator. Maybe 10 years old, maybe more? I'm wondering if its time to get a new one. Monitors have changed a lot since I bought that thing.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Calling photographers - is it worth it to get a new monitor calibrator?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 08, 2018 01:33PM
I guess that would depend on how/where your photos are used?

As in, are you a professional photographer that sells your images? Well, then you should prob have it calibrated.

Or are you just taking them for personal use, to put on blog, make a few prints and share with family? then, meh.

You can always use built in calibration to get close.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 08, 2018 03:35PM
A trick we used to use many moons ago was to first get a color chart, then simply adjust the monitor to match it as closely as possible. Then get a print that you would want to emulate, and get the same exact image as a high res scan - do they match? if not adjust again.

Not the fastest method but cheaper than a high quality calibration unit or a new monitor.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 08, 2018 03:41PM
To be clear - I know I want to calibrate my monitor. Its a question of whether I'd notice a difference between a brand new calibrator and a 10+ year old calibrator.

Posted by: jdc
Date: November 08, 2018 05:02PM
Ahhh, I wouldnt think a 10 year old calibrator would still work. I thought you meant you havent used one in years. (hmmm Ive got a spyder something in a drawer... wonder if it will?)

In this day of easy returns, Id say try one. But I bet the difference is minimal...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: November 08, 2018 06:06PM
There are dyes in the filters that calibrators use to sort colors, dyes change / shift /fade

Monitors have changed

Calibration software and hardware has gotten better.

Ten years equals an old calibration system, IMO.

What kind of screen did you have back then MK? now?

I mean, like said before in this thread, you could try it..might be close enough..depends on what you're doing.

I calibrate meticulously for printing and my room environs etc..web too but mostly printing..it saves a lot of money and time...it does depend on what you're doing with your images..for some things close enough is fine because, hell, if it's web stuff..people are on all kinds of different devices with different and wrong color settings..contrasts ramped, brightness messed with..you try to hit a reference mark and then shoot it out there and forget about it, cause, house to house..it's different.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 08, 2018 10:13PM
I have a fairly current i1. I would say to go ahead and get a new one. B&H sometimes has some deals on them, not a ton of $ off, but something.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018