advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Transfer everything from old phone
Posted by: pinion
Date: November 10, 2018 09:45AM
I have an old iphone 4s I want to wipe but first I want to copy all the messages and texts off it and whatever other data I can. What is a good Mac app to do that with? So far I've only tried PhoneView but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Transfer everything from old phone
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 10, 2018 11:15AM
I used iScavenge a few years ago.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: jims
Date: November 10, 2018 11:17AM
imazing works well.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 10, 2018 11:33AM
Can u backup to iCloud? I don’t remember the specs, if the 4 or whatever iOS it runs can, but an option.

Do you have a new phone? Again, the 4 might be an issue, but with our new phones you just set them next to each other and data was transferred from one to the other. Super easy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 10, 2018 11:37AM
Can u backup to iCloud?

Can messages/texts be backed up to iCloud?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 10, 2018 02:13PM
If to a newer iPhone, use iTunes to backup your phone, then connect the new phone when it asks, during setup, if you want to transfer your old stuff to your new phone. Works in 10.9.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 10, 2018 04:38PM
RAMd®d
Can u backup to iCloud?

Can messages/texts be backed up to iCloud?

Everything gets backed up, yeah.

Skip iTunes... that will only make more trouble. That involves, OS, iOS and iTunes -- you might need 2 different versions of each of them to get it to work. Especially with a 4. Or if your mac is older. Or newer.

When we got our new XRs, you start it, it asks if you want to transfer from another phone, you say "yes" -- hold the new phone camera up to the old ones screen... and viola -- the old starts transfering to the new. Its the easiest thing ever. Takes no time... and once done its a clone of your old on the new.

Just no idea if it will work with the iOS running on a 4. Think it needs 11, which the 4 wont run?

Heres a video showing 3 ways. #2 is from iCloud backup. Also super simple, and the way you might need to go because of the 4 iOS

[www.youtube.com]

----

Posted by: Carm
Date: November 11, 2018 12:00AM
iCloud backup/restore is great.... when it works. I had a friend ask me to backup her iPhone, 98GB data 7 Plus to computer because iCloud didn’t work for her. I tried to get it to go iCloud route, it just wouldn’t work. She has the 200GB plan. Reset her iPhone XS Max but no go. So iTunes/ Mac OS to the rescue.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 11, 2018 11:19AM
Carm
iCloud backup/restore is great.... when it works. I had a friend ask me to backup her iPhone, 98GB data 7 Plus to computer because iCloud didn’t work for her. I tried to get it to go iCloud route, it just wouldn’t work. She has the 200GB plan. Reset her iPhone XS Max but no go. So iTunes/ Mac OS to the rescue.

did you do the back up to your computer and did you need her password to do so? i ask because i’m dealing with my late brother’s idevices. i’d like to preserve thecontacts and text messages on his ipad mini in case down the line as i wrap up his estate i have need to get in touch with one of his friends.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: November 11, 2018 11:24AM
fwiw, the iCloud restore can take a really, really, really long time. Wife prob only had 15 GB on her phone, but took 30 minutes -- and the phone was mostly useless while it was restoring.

----

Posted by: Carm
Date: November 11, 2018 05:08PM
Graylocks, didn’t need her password to backup the phone, just needed space. Also needed the phone to be unlocked and updated along with an update of some sort to get the Mac to read it . Only needed password to restore the phone. Used a MacBook Air. I found iCloud to be very good for contacts. Also my email reader automatically backs/syncs up my contacts
Date: November 12, 2018 05:11PM
Thanks everyone! I'm not trying to go to another phone. I just want to save off everything because I'm a data hoarder. Also I lost a friend a few years back and if there's any conversations with him I'd like to make sure I have them saved off. So I'm basically just trying to get whatever data I can off it before I wipe it and maybe sell it or let a kid use it.

I'm going to try out iScavenge and imazing.

p.s. sorry for my slow response back. Thanks for the help!

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: November 12, 2018 05:58PM
iScavange seems to have done exactly what I wanted. I was able to save contacts, notes, messages, photos, movies, and files to folders on my mac. It used the backup of the phone I had taken and I didn't even need the phone plugged in.

iMazing is taking forever to download. Like it says it still has 44 minutes left so I guess I'm going to give up on that one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018