advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2 phone calls from Jamaica
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 15, 2018 05:30PM
Should I have taken them? Never had a call From there. Bet it would have been interesting. I blocked the number on my iPhone sadly before I thought it might be someone interesting to talk to.pirate smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2 phone calls from Jamaica
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 15, 2018 06:23PM
Spoofed numbers perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 06:24PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 15, 2018 06:44PM
Bobsled team looking for support.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 15, 2018 06:53PM
Jamaica, NY perhaps?
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 15, 2018 06:54PM
I do NOT answer calls that either 1: have NO Caller ID information or 2: has information that I do NOT recognize (which, these days, are better than 80% of incoming calls). I always report/block these numbers if the caller does NOT leave a message I have reason to believe is legitimate. I WILL return the call when the caller is obviously trying to reach a named person/company if only to let them know that they've NOT reached who they were trying to reach.

I know there ARE scams where foreign area codes are used. If you call them back, you'll incur LARGE phone bills. I expect scammers have found a way to get $$$$ from you even if all you do is to answer your phone. old fogey smiley
Posted by: max
Date: November 15, 2018 07:46PM
I talk to anyone who calls,

they usually hang up........
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 16, 2018 12:22AM
Yah, mon, you should take dem calls, there's no language more musical than the Jamaican language!
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 16, 2018 05:55AM
I worked on a national public service campaign to warn senior citizens about financial scams, particularly foreign lotteries - and the Jamaican scammers are among the most dangerous of all.

They've been known to bilk people out of thousands of dollars for "fees", "taxes" and "lawyers" - and once you try to stop paying, they go on Google Maps street view and figure out what your house looks like, they go on Facebook and figure out what your daughter's name is, etc. - and threaten physical harm.

But normally, they would fake a US number, so who knows.
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 16, 2018 07:56AM
mrbigstuff
Yah, mon, you should take dem calls, there's no language more musical than the Jamaican language!

They really want to talk to me....got another yesterday. ! Don't they know we are not going to answer? like the S.Africa "send money" emails.
Posted by: particleman
Date: November 16, 2018 03:50PM
I recently got a local call that was somehow parsed in a manner that showed up on my iPhone as if it was coming from Greece.
Posted by: dk62
Date: November 16, 2018 04:12PM
When I was in Europe I got a number of calls that showed as if originating from random countries although they were all from my family's US mobile accounts.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 16, 2018 04:33PM
If you block a number that is spoofed, could you be blocking a legitimate call from that number later?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: billb
Date: November 16, 2018 06:04PM
Don't worry
Be happy
Send a couple
Hundred to me

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018