advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
just got ghosted?!.....we knew it was coming but Apple officially discontinues.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 16, 2018 11:23AM
.....Airport products: (Express, Extreme, Time Capsule) no longer available on-line or in-store......

....they had originally said they would continue to sell what inventory was left but now.....removed....

Discontinued AirPort Extreme and 2TB Time Capsule Finally Disappear From Apple Online Store

.....Apple back in April ended development on its AirPort line of products, which includes the $99 AirPort Express, the $199 AirPort Extreme, and the $299 AirPort Time Capsule.

At the time the accessories were discontinued, Apple said that it would continue selling existing stock until available supply was exhausted. It appears that point has been reached for both the AirPort Extreme and the 2TB AirPort Time Capsule, which have been removed from the Apple online store.

There are no longer any AirPort products available for purchase from the online store or Apple retail locations, with the exception of some refurbished AirPort devices that may continue to be available on the refurbished site.

Apple had not updated its AirPort products since 2012 (Express) and 2013 (Extreme and Time Capsule), and rumors in 2016, which ultimately turned out to be correct, suggested Apple had stopped development on the product with AirPort engineers reassigned to other devices.

In lieu of its own line of AirPort products, Apple is now offering third-party routers like the Linksys Velop mesh Wi-Fi system.

Apple's AirPort base stations provided some unique benefits that are not available through third-party options like built-in Time Machine backup support in the Time Capsule and AirPlay functionality for the AirPort Express.

Though the AirPort devices have been discontinued, Apple plans to provide service and parts for the current generation models for the next five years.

this Airport.....has now been closed......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: just got ghosted?!.....we knew it was coming but Apple officially discontinues.....
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 16, 2018 12:26PM
I still love mine at home. Too bad, Apple - you got too big that a small niche product wasn't good enough for your bottom line.
Re: just got ghosted?!.....we knew it was coming but Apple officially discontinues.....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 16, 2018 12:57PM
sekker
I still love mine at home. Too bad, Apple - you got too big that a small niche product wasn't good enough for your bottom line.

agree smiley

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 16, 2018 01:02PM
The Airport is now Closed.... My last ABS was uncovered and recycled two weeks ago, as it happens. Progress marches on. Adapt or go under.
Posted by: decay
Date: November 16, 2018 01:05PM
What do we like for home mesh networking these days?

1875 plaster & lath walls...

---
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 16, 2018 01:09PM
You are already starting with mesh walls . . . devil smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 16, 2018 04:32PM
decay

I have had no issues with plaster over wood lath walls. However, I have worked in buildings with plaster over wire mesh or expanded metal lath, setting up wireless in those was a major pain.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 16, 2018 06:59PM
decay

Depends: How radio-transparent are your ceilings?

Ordinarily, I really like and frequently recommend Orbi, but they're big and are made to sit on furniture or plug into wall-outlets where plaster walls will probably end up blocking much of the signal.

If your ceilings pass RF pretty cleanly, you might want a lot of little satellites instead of a few big ones. You'd have them staggered to repeat the signal up-down-up-down, etc. With a max of 3 satellites on an Orbi system, you probably couldn't cover a big house that way.

Might try Eero which has no limit on the number of small satellites you can use, or else mix the big powerful satellites in an Orbi with powerline Ethernet adapters to get past those walls.

Posted by: MacArtist
Date: November 16, 2018 08:34PM
Before I was kind of annoyed at Apple and the way they have ignored everything but iPhones and iPads. Now I am getting pissed. Everything that made them money before the iPhone is treated like the red headed stepchild.

I really liked the Airport products. Nicely integrated into the OS. If I am at the house, I am accessing my wireless network for portable devices, not burning up my cell data plan.

In the past, Apple was better at giving its customers the entire solution. Now Apple tells me it doesn’t care what I want to buy or how I want to use their products...they know best.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 16, 2018 08:41PM
Much better options out there than Apple. Look at Ubiquity for replacements. Otherwise, enterprise grade gear is getting cheap enough you could justify using it at home. For $1000 you can get a Firewall, POE switch and a couple APs.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 16, 2018 11:26PM
Aw shucks. I wanted to get a Time Capsule or two, which were in the Apple Refurb store, but now are gone.

To echo decay's question: What's the next best thing to a Time Capsule?
Or, rather, what (nice looking) single device offers a WiFi router with Time Machine backup?

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 17, 2018 09:02AM
Winston
Aw shucks. I wanted to get a Time Capsule or two, which were in the Apple Refurb store, but now are gone.

Or, rather, what (nice looking) single device offers a WiFi router with Time Machine backup?

- Winston

Apple AirPort Extreme. Just plug in a hard drive to the Airport.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 17, 2018 10:24AM
C(-)ris
Much better options out there than Apple. Look at Ubiquity for replacements. Otherwise, enterprise grade gear is getting cheap enough you could justify using it at home. For $1000 you can get a Firewall, POE switch and a couple APs.

$1000 is a LOT OF CASH for home network.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 18, 2018 09:25PM
space-time
C(-)ris

Not really. When you can spend $300 each on a thermostat or $3000 on a stove. Heck, an iPhone is $1k these days. The hub of your home costing $1000 isn’t unreasonable. Especially considering the security implecations.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 19, 2018 04:13AM
C(-)ris
space-time
C(-)ris

Not really. When you can spend $300 each on a thermostat or $3000 on a stove. Heck, an iPhone is $1k these days. The hub of your home costing $1000 isn’t unreasonable. Especially considering the security implecations.

Yes, it IS a lot of money for a home Wi-Fi network.

The only way I would even consider even heading in the general direction of that number is by purchasing a home wireless mesh system -- in which case I wouldn't need a PoE switch.

Just because you CAN spend that much doesn't mean you SHOULD.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 19, 2018 09:53PM
Speedy
Winston

- Winston

Apple AirPort Extreme. Just plug in a hard drive to the Airport.

Except that AirPort Extremes were also discontinued.

We have a last generation Extreme, and we also have a last generation Time Capsule, which can do the same thing. (And the TC has an 8 TB Western Digital drive attached.) But that's still not as elegant a solution as a Time Capsule. There is a lot to be said for "simple" solutions.

In part wanted an extra Time Capsule for a son who's in college. He can't use it while in a dorm, but will be able to once he has his own apartment.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 20, 2018 07:07AM
....people will probably be selling them on craigslist/Ebay soon........as they become more and more out dated.....the plus is you will get them cheap......minus is slightly used......

....there are still retailers selling them but at full price.....perhaps one will lower prices to get rid of inventory........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 289
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018