advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amplifier suggestions
Posted by: blooz
Date: November 18, 2018 09:38AM
The amplifier I bought back in '88 with other audio components finally died. So I need to get another amp/radio tuner. I will want to hook up a turntable and CD player—guess I can forget about the cassette player as i don't have any more cassettes—and, being deaf in one ear, I miss a lot of musical nuance, so I don't really need the top of the line model.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amplifier suggestions
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 18, 2018 09:48AM
Craigslist. If that didn't work for you, I'd just look on ebay. People sell audio components quite cheaply, esp if you're not looking for the latest home theater system
Posted by: Bixby
Date: November 18, 2018 09:54AM
If you're looking for new, I'd probably go with the Harmon Kardon HK 3700.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 18, 2018 09:57AM
Onkyo, Denon & HK are reliable long lasting makers in my experience.
Marantz and McIntosh as well, but usually a bit more pricey.
Sony, Pana, Pioneer & Yama I stay away from.
OMMD.

You could check here too.
[reverb.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 18, 2018 10:07AM
An amplifier pays service in large part to what its being asked to drive. So are you using speakers, and if so, what are they?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 18, 2018 10:07AM
mrbigstuff
Craigslist. If that didn't work for you, I'd just look on ebay. People sell audio components quite cheaply, esp if you're not looking for the latest home theater system

I'd also check thrift shops. I picked up a great-sounding 80's NAD integrated amp for $75 at a Salvation Army store. You can almost always find a fairly-recent receiver at Goodwill for next to nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 10:12AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 18, 2018 10:23AM
Careful with Harman-Kardon from around the year 2000. It was the first year they outsourced manufacture to China, I've been told, and that year (or thereabouts) they had reliability problems. Mine (AVR-510) has required costly repair 3 times in its first 6 years, but it's a great performer, and has been in daily use now for 18 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 10:23AM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 18, 2018 10:29AM
My 91 Technics died last year, It served both me and son in college. He cheaped out and bought a Sony. Simple Stereo amp with Phono-preamp. Could be made in the 90s as well, except it has built in bluetooth! It might last him a quarter century!

I do agree about eBay and thrift shops, though. My daily driver is a Samsung HTIB. Still sounds great at about 15 years, but the Optical drive has died. Gonna keep the 5.1 speakers and get a new amp with more inputs.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 11:15AM by Rolando.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 18, 2018 11:57AM
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 18, 2018 12:14PM
Fritz's post reminded me of 'who owns what'.
Currently...
Samsung owns Harman Kardon
Denon & Marantz are part of the same corp.
Pioneer (Home Electronics) is owned by Onkyo
Onkyo, Panasonic, Sony, & Yamaha are each independent companies.
And as noted, McIntosh if cost is no object smiley-shocked003

fwiw, I own a Yamaha A/V receiver which has been faultless (just jinxed it).

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 18, 2018 12:25PM
MrNoBody
Fritz's post reminded me of 'who owns what'.
Currently...
Samsung owns Harman Kardon...

Wow! You're right - Harman Int'l is now a subsidiary of Samsung.
JBL, Infinity, Mark Levinson, Harman Kardon...no longer American.

I've been a long-term fan of American and British audio gear, but many of the manufacturers of my equipment are either no longer in existence (Apogee, B&K, McCormack), or no longer American (HK) or British (Celestion).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 12:32PM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 18, 2018 12:27PM
"Samsung owns Harman Kardon "

much to my professional disappointment. Sam also got JBL and Studer among others when they bought HKI a couple of years ago and promptly let go of 400 engineers and designers in the pro division.
Sure do wish someone would have bought JBL Pro and the other pro lines.
So far JBL pro is in good shape. Dunno that I'd buy Studer now.

I should have said, pre-2000 HK, as well.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: blooz
Date: November 18, 2018 01:05PM
Thanks for all the responses! I do have a pair of JAMO SL80 speakers (made in Denmark, o all places) attached to this also.
As i recall I spent approx $500 for speakers, amp, cd player, cassette player and turntable back then. Got them at a small audio/TV store with a pretty good rep in Amherst, MA which is no longer in existence.Bought at salesperson's suggestions. Turned ut pretty well. I knew nothing—still don't know much—about any of this at the time.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 01:06PM by blooz.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 18, 2018 04:19PM
As far as I know, currently only Onkyo makes AV Receivers with phono inputs. Most new turntables either have a pre-amp built in or connect via USB.

If that is important, I agree with Salvation Army or Goodwill. You can probably find a decent, older receiver for around $35-50.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 18, 2018 05:16PM
The phono input on any modern receiver will only accommodate moving magnet cartridges. If you want to use a moving coil cartridge, you'll need a dedicated stand-alone phono preamp that has line level outputs for your receiver.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 19, 2018 10:56AM
freeradical
The phono input on any modern receiver will only accommodate moving magnet cartridges. If you want to use a moving coil cartridge, you'll need a dedicated stand-alone phono preamp that has line level outputs for your receiver.

That is assuming the receiver has a phono input, not all do, especially the less expensive ones. If you really need to connect a turntable make sure there is a phono input.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 21, 2018 08:16PM
For the price, this looks like a great deal.
[slickdeals.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018