advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
north carolina furniture
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: January 14, 2007 11:56AM
My mom went to NC for furniture. She was looking far an antique reproduction dresser that was about $4200 in NJ. She found it there in a showroom and they wanted $2800. She chiseled them down to $1800 and she had it delivered.

1) Is this a typical pricing difference that I can expect to pay when I buy furniture there?
2) She claims that she was told that most furniture is so longer made there but imported from various places around the world; china, malayasia, etc. Is that true?
3) Any advice on how to shop NC as there are many furniture houses and I dont want to spend a month there shopping.

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: north carolina furniture
Posted by: dmann
Date: January 14, 2007 12:03PM
I haven't been there but a good friend bought a whole houseful of furniture there. She shopped locally (Chicago), knew what she wanted and local prices. Even with the shipping charges, she saved thousands of dollars.

Tons of info on this site: [ths.gardenweb.com]. Do a search for "North Carolina" but be warned- threads fall off quickly and there are no archives. If you find something useful, copy and save it!

DM
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 14, 2007 12:15PM
My sister-in-law lives in Winston-Salem and we bought a bedroom suite in the High Point area. We also bought our dining room set from a store there but I knew what I wanted (looked at Haverty's in Atlanta first), called them (never went to their warehouse), and they ordered it and shipped it to us. I saved about $1000 from the local prices.

The deals are very good. Most stores are warehouses that pay very little overhead. Most of the furniture is now made overseas, as you said, but the best prices are still in the High Point-Thomasville area. You can get tourist guides at local hotels and gas stations that list the larger retailers. I imagine that High Point has a visitor's website that has lists also. Downtown High Point has a couple of "furniture malls" that have multiple stores, but these seemed to be priced a bit higher (likely due to the overhead).

Most places will ship anywhere in the USA or if you have a Uhaul, you can take it with you. I think that if they ship it to you out of state, you don't pay local sales tax, only shipping fees.

Transit Damage Furniture in Lexington is a good place to look, if you are going there. They are on Old US 52, off Business 85. They have a large variety of furniture, mostly overstocks and returns. When we have been there, I have seen very few damaged goods.

Have a good idea of what you are looking for beforehand. It can be very overwhelming. Browse at local dealers and write down item numbers and prices, if you are able. It can be fun shopping this way but also exhausting. Wear comfortable shoes. Good luck!
Posted by: Maddog
Date: January 14, 2007 12:25PM
We bought most of our household furniture after a trip to High Point. I believe the way to do things is to hire an interior decorator who is tied into the area as far as being able to access the warehouse selections of many of the different makers. You can indeed get some very reasonable deals, especially on items that are just taking up space in the warehouse. They will often deal to clear these items out. I highly recommend that you bring your own truck (uhaul, etc.) and plan on finding the exact item you want, buy it right there and load it on the truck. If you choose to order an item that then has to be made and then delievered, you will run quite a bit of risk as far as actually ever getting your item. It will also take much much longer than you anticipate. I have talked to people who have ordered items and paid for them, but then the company went out of business and they were out of luck.
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: January 14, 2007 12:35PM
thanks everyone - already a lot to think about
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 14, 2007 02:39PM
Lexington, where I grew up sorta, and Thomasville are pretty much the furniture hubs of NC.
Almost everything that was being made there is currently being made in China. An old
friend of mine and his family run a large dry-kiln for hardwoods says everything they dry
goes to China. Some of it is even being rough cut while enroute to China. My sister had
a very good job in a shipping and receiving office at a major furniture plant run by
Lexington Home Brands and lost her job after 18 years just a few months ago. The
quality of the furniture from China is not as good as the American stuff. Bob Timberlake
recently had the majority of his line returned to Lexington for manufacture. Some of the
stuff from China was so bad at first that they had to uncrate all of it and do repairs before
shipping it to the dealers. My sister use to buy overruns and old stock for like 80-90% off,
she got some killer deals.

Nice Stuff
[www.bobtimberlake.com]

Living Proof: Workers at Linwood Furniture show Davidson quality's worth fighting for:
[www.journalnow.com]

BTW: The original Transit Damage is on S. Main in Lexington, it's huge but not all is
damaged, I think they have other stores in addition to this one.

Grateful11
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 14, 2007 08:59PM
We did the High Point and Hickory thing a few years back. There are very good deals on the high end stuff. But if your the average household, you need tohunt. We found what we want at a Thomasville store that had closeouts.

There is a huge furniture mall in High Point for the high end, no need tospend weeks.

One warning - hotel rates are high.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018