advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Meat smokers anyone?
Posted by: wowzer
Date: November 27, 2018 11:44AM
Does anyone use a smoker? I want to smoke turkey, brisket, beef, pork, etc. I haven’t made any real decisions yet, but come down to realize that there are electric, wood, charcoal, and gas versions.

I have a yard with electric outlets that I can use the smoker...and a shed to store when not in use.

Any suggestions on which is better?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Meat smokers anyone?
Posted by: jims
Date: November 27, 2018 11:48AM
We have a gas smoker. Thought we would use it a lot, but really only use it a couple of times a year. I think if we had bought electric we would use it more. It is harder to control the temp on gas. Others may have different experiences and opinions.

jims
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 27, 2018 12:01PM
I started with an electric model, but it was too small. It worked ok I guess. I replaced it with a much larger LP model that works great for my needs. It's usually used near my brush burning pit by the swamp, with no electricity nearby.

If you're smoking whole turkeys, you want one large enough to accommodate it. I like that I can take racks out of mine to do larger items, or to hang kabob sticks with venison to make jerky.

I like fruit wood chips, but in a pinch I'll chop up some oak chips and they seem to work too.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 27, 2018 01:15PM
If you don't mind dealing with charcoal, The Weber is an excellent smoker, just google the minion method for regulating charcoal temp.

The cheaper electrics do a very good job for the occasional home smoker If you are only going to use it every few months, that is the way I would go. They are simple to use, effective for a pork butt, small turkey, or chicken. You can do ribs by cutting the slab in half. The only thing that won't work well is a whole brisket (but those can be hard with any typical home smoker.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 27, 2018 01:22PM
I gave my dad one of these for Christmas a couple of years ago, and he loves it. He made smoked turkey breasts for Thanksgiving last week, and they were amazing.

[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 27, 2018 01:28PM
....you can still get lung cancer........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 27, 2018 03:48PM
We have this one
[www.homedepot.com]

Also the cold smoker attchment ( we use this for smoking cheese)

Works like a champ - haven't done a whole turkey, but chickens, brisket, pork shoulder, salmon - all delicious.

There is a learning curve, as with any cooking process - brining, rubs, sauces, etc.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: November 27, 2018 03:48PM
Many arguments for and against all the choices, just like in the tech world, and automotive world. In addition to my Webber gas grill, I have a pellet smoker. I like the less wait time and control that a pellet smoker gives, and fits my needs nicely. Just as many say a charcoal style or stick burner is the only way to go. For me, the electric pellet is basically a convection oven that adds smoke flavor, fits my needs and style of cooking. I've done pork belly, (for bacon), burnt ends (several styles), brisket, pastrami, kielbasa, steaks, meatloaf, and more.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 27, 2018 07:37PM
I just hauled mine to the dump after a run of about 5 years. Mrs Markintosh and my son have gotten to be pretty strict pescatarians, and you can only smoke salmon so many times before you're just sick of it.

Even smoking the smallest brisket or rack of ribs was just too much for me.

We're enjoying the newly reopened space on the patio.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 28, 2018 06:20AM
Markintosh
I just hauled mine to the dump after a run of about 5 years. ...

No one (neighbor, friend) to give it to?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 28, 2018 06:58AM
.....Meat me in St. Louis.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: spacescape
Date: November 29, 2018 06:21AM
I really want a Green Egg but it's too much $$$$ and I won't smoke meat enough to justify it. So, was looking at electric and propane and tempted to get a Weber Smoker... But still, do I need it? Nope...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 29, 2018 12:54PM
Let us know what you decide, because some of us are contemplating the same thing. O:-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018