advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone drive or own a hyundai kona?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: November 28, 2018 07:50AM
it might be car buying/leasing season for me and my gal.

we gave our 2016.5 mazda cx5 sport/awd to our older daughter since she needs the awd more than us as she traverses the windy, snowy roads of west virgina (phd program in morgantown!)

i like/need a vehicle that can carry "stuff" which is everything from costco type weekly food shops to my video/film production gear to a used clothes dresser my ever-loving darling "found"!

we are thinking about perhaps for the first time even leasing.

the hyundai kona came up in my search.

i have never owned a hyundia/kia. i rented a sante fe last year while in the florida keys and liked it more than i thought i would.

anyone own or ever drive a kona?

thanks in advance.

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone drive or own a hyundai kona?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 28, 2018 08:58AM
popcorn smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 28, 2018 09:13AM
Okay this family has had 4 Hyundais over the years. Would have been 5 but they dealer really

upset me.

Anyway I built the Kona a couple of ways and it seems the higher end Kona has less interior and exterior choices. That said I would wait for the second year of that model.

I would pick the fully loaded Elantra GT (hatchback) over the Kona.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2018 09:13AM by Bernie.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 28, 2018 09:24AM
I'm on my second Hyundai Elantra, a 2015 model. Build quality and standard equipment is better than the 2008 Honda Civic I owned before the Hyundai's. The Hyundai has been problem free - now has 70K miles.

My only caution is the Kona is a new model introduced this year - could have more bugs.
Date: November 28, 2018 09:55AM
bernie-

i also looked at the elentra gt hatchback but was slightly leaning to the kona because of awd.

which engine do you have in your elentra?

did you go gt or gt sport?

having the car for a while would you make the same decisions?

thanks in advance.

rob
Date: November 28, 2018 09:56AM
Forrest
I'm on my second Hyundai Elantra, a 2015 model. Build quality and standard equipment is better than the 2008 Honda Civic I owned before the Hyundai's. The Hyundai has been problem free - now has 70K miles.

My only caution is the Kona is a new model introduced this year - could have more bugs.

thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 28, 2018 10:21AM
Sounds like you might have your mind made up already. I haven't driven a Kona so I shouldn't comment on it and instead will give you unsolicited advice (everyones fav!). For your needs I'd recommend kicking the tires on a VW Golf Sportwagen or Alltrack. The sticker prices are a bit high but if you shop around you can find significant discounts. Should drive better, have a larger trunk, and a nicer interior than the Kona, downside being a smaller back seat compared to most SUVs. I'm kind of surprised you'd be looking at the Kona after owning the CX5, I was under the impression that it was a very highly rated vehicle.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 28, 2018 11:18AM
Can't comment on the Kona, but we had a 2004 Sonata that drove fine for 160,000 miles and we traded it in on a 2017 Elantra, which has also been great. The Sonata was owned, but we leased the Elantra for my son (keeps his payments low). I have to say the lease program has been impressive. You just need to watch the mileage, and keep it clean. They will insist (at least my dealer did) to include GAP insurance on a lease.

I believe Hyundai also has a referral program, looks like it will save you $100 or $200 - if you are interested, PM me and I'll see if I can refer you.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 28, 2018 11:42AM
I had an Elantra wagon many years ago. As the children grew it became a Santa Fe. The Santa Fe was to be a Vera Cruz but

I drove across the street and bought an Enclave instead.

Did I mention I drove a Sonata and later an XG350.
Loved my Hyundais. The Local Dealer went to $h!t.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2018 11:45AM by Bernie.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 28, 2018 11:55AM
Anybody here one of the 400 owners nation wide that had Hyundai/Kia mysteriously catch fire?

I am very tempted by the Niro PHEV, but it's not really a 5 person vehicle since my potential passengers are up to 6'-6" and or 260 lbs (there is a reason they keep a late 80s Volvo wagon around).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 28, 2018 12:27PM
Theres now a AWD Prius. Which my youngest says looks like origami.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 28, 2018 12:34PM
mattkime
Sounds like you might have your mind made up already. I haven't driven a Kona so I shouldn't comment on it and instead will give you unsolicited advice (everyones fav!). For your needs I'd recommend kicking the tires on a VW Golf Sportwagen or Alltrack. The sticker prices are a bit high but if you shop around you can find significant discounts. Should drive better, have a larger trunk, and a nicer interior than the Kona, downside being a smaller back seat compared to most SUVs. I'm kind of surprised you'd be looking at the Kona after owning the CX5, I was under the impression that it was a very highly rated vehicle.

i have wondered about the vws.

i have some real ethical concerns about vw's lying over epa rating. i do not view such as a a benign nod to the execs corporate overlords. they installed devices to perpetuate the scheme. i'm not sure i want to support in any manner such behavior.

i very much like the mazda cx5. i'm up and down about the need for awd. if not, then perhaps i don't need a vehicle as large as the mazda (which was not really large at all)

i am shopping so open to most ideas.

the vw thought, i'm just not sure how i feel about such obvious corruptness.

(gee, doesn't that sound very current!!!)

thanks for the sharing.

be well.

rob
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 28, 2018 01:26PM
Test drive and see how you feel. Some people really value what they have to offer, others not so much.

I'm usually pretty harsh when it comes to environmental concerns but there's something about this one that fails to hit a nerve with me. Considerably worse happens on a regular basis with zero repercussion but gets much less attention due to lack of deception.

robfilms
i have some real ethical concerns about vw's lying over epa rating. i do not view such as a a benign nod to the execs corporate overlords. they installed devices to perpetuate the scheme. i'm not sure i want to support in any manner such behavior.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 28, 2018 01:57PM
There's an EV version available now that compares very favorably to the Chevy Bolt.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 28, 2018 02:02PM
Kia and Hyundai have basically taken a page out of the Honda/Toyota/Nissan playbook from decades ago. They've really "upped their game" in terms of quality and reliability and, their fuel economy is good. ConsumerReports generally give Kias and Hyundais good marks. A good test ride might show one brand suits you better than the other brand. If the ergonomics work for you, should probably won't go wrong with either brand (the last rental car I had was a Hyundai. I had to really duck getting in/out or I'd hit my head and, I'm only 6'0" tall). Have you checked what the insurance would cost on either brand? Insurance rates can be an indicator of what insurance think they'll have to pay out for loss/repairs.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 28, 2018 03:28PM
is it too new to check the safety ratings? I always wonder about that. I would wait or at least look at the other platforms to see if there's similarities with the safety rating
Posted by: artie67
Date: November 28, 2018 04:04PM
We have a Kia Niro which is a Sub-Suv class. Two year lease with a year to go. Really no problems at all. Fit and finish are equal to my Mazda 3 hatch. Mileage over 7000 mi (documented) city mostly and one 400 mile road trip was 47 mpg. This is a gas hybrid with electric motor and battery backup. Note.. the two batteries are under the back seat, one for the starter motor (Li) and one for the assist to the gas motor. These are guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.
Complaints are touchy brakes and the dual disc clutch with 5 speed transmission which at coming to idle grabs a little. I like the 5 speed vs. the CVT that most small SUV's use. This is a common fault of both the Niro and Ioniq. Something to check out on the test drive.
The Niro/Hyundai Ioniq are clones. Some differences though.
Worth a checkout and if you have snow the Subaru Crossteck is the one to look at. It's a little underpowered and it's time for new efficient engines for all the Subaru's.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: November 28, 2018 04:25PM
Six drivers in our family.
Six Hyundais.
Sonata, Santa Fe Sport, and four Elantras.
I've looked at the Kona, but just for fun.
Twelve thumbs up here.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 28, 2018 07:25PM
mattkime
Test drive and see how you feel. Some people really value what they have to offer, others not so much.

I'm usually pretty harsh when it comes to environmental concerns but there's something about this one that fails to hit a nerve with me. Considerably worse happens on a regular basis with zero repercussion but gets much less attention due to lack of deception.

robfilms

Ding ding! There are companies that pollute more in a month with no reprocussions than the combined effects of VWs cheating.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 28, 2018 08:24PM
C(-)ris

Ding ding! There are companies that pollute more in a month with no reprocussions than the combined effects of VWs cheating.

So you are comfortable with major corporations actively C H E A T I N G the consumer?

Sorry, I don't accept that as a conscionable conclusion.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 28, 2018 08:49PM
WHiiP
C(-)ris

So you are comfortable with major corporations actively C H E A T I N G the consumer?

Sorry, I don't accept that as a conscionable conclusion.

I'd rather the government went after the big polluters where it would make a meaningful effect. The difference in allowable vs what VWs were emitting is a pretty insignificant number in the total pollution scheme.

Also, there are older cars on the road that pollute more than those VWs did. I would rather those cars be removed from the road than the VWs. The enviromental waste of scrapping all those cars is insane.

Everything about this whole thing was backwards and stupid. Lobbyists get laws passed that punish consumers and let the big polluters go free. So, no, I don't care that VW broke a stupid law.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: billb
Date: November 28, 2018 11:55PM
Hey the guy across the street killed three people.
I should be able to kill one because that's nowhere near as bad as three.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: November 30, 2018 07:22AM
billb
Hey the guy across the street killed three people.
I should be able to kill one because that's nowhere near as bad as three.

Is that you, Mr. President? We're honored to have you here, Sir!

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018