advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
CURSE YOU Neil Young!
Posted by: hal
Date: December 04, 2018 03:57PM
I came to the realization that Neil Young might be my favorite musician based upon the number of songs across a vast career that I just love. In many of my old favorite groups over recent decades, I find that some of my favorite music is fading a bit over time. But Neil's music seems to get better over time.

Anyhoo... about a year ago, a song popped in my head and I realized that it was something that I haven't heard for YEARS! A very strange version of Last Trip to Tulsa - a track from his very first album that was a LONG meandering song about a psychedelic dream. The original is acoustic and folksy, but the version in my head is a loud, electric, sloppy rendition by him with Crazy Horse in 1976 from a bootleg called Live At The Roman Colosseum. Me and a friend at the record store decided to buy two records - we'd both own both of them, but one would stay at one house and one at the other and we taped the LPs.

Well, the record is gone, the friend is gone, the tape is gone, but the memory lives on. So I spent a WHOLE FRICKEN day searching the net for a copy. I never did find it, but I did find a big bootleg of all of the songs played on the 1976 tour and it had a version of this song - not the one I had, but it was ok. I was defeated, but ended the effort somewhat satisfied.

Ok... that was the preamble and I'm very sorry it was so long...

The reason I curse Neil now is that a while ago - out of the blue, I read that Neil is putting out a big new release of songs from the 1976 tour.

YAHOO!! WHAT ARE THE ODDS??!!

But I'm listening to it (and loving it) but that crazy electric version of Last Trip to Tulsa is NOT INCLUDED!

CURSE YOU NEIL YOUNG!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CURSE YOU Neil Young!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 04, 2018 04:00PM
Never count on Neil Young.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 04, 2018 04:03PM
More Barn!
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 04, 2018 04:15PM
It’s funny - not a huge fan, but he was part of an old farts’ 3-day megaconcert I saw a couple years ago, and I thought he was really good.

I did not see that coming.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 04, 2018 04:17PM
the internet was made for this sort of thing. i have found some of the first concerts I ever attended on archive. it's amazing, really.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 04, 2018 04:22PM
DeusxMac
More Barn!

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: December 04, 2018 04:30PM
pdq
It’s funny - not a huge fan, but he was part of an old farts’ 3-day megaconcert I saw a couple years ago, and I thought he was really good.

I did not see that coming.

He takes live performance very seriously - he puts everything he's got into every damn show.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 04, 2018 04:32PM
My bootleg Neil is still in boxes so I cannot guarantee it's there. I'm very slowly working my way through all boot discs of all artists and getting them in iTunes so if I remember when i get to him I'll give you a shout. Only got an acoustic version on Sugar Mountain Live At Canterbury House 1968 which is an official release. The Canterbury House shows were before his first album was released.

Paul

Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 04, 2018 04:42PM
Any chance you can find that version here?

Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Live at the Roman Colosseum 1976 (full album

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 04, 2018 04:42PM
voodoopenguin
My bootleg Neil is still in boxes so I cannot guarantee it's there. I'm very slowly working my way through all boot discs of all artists and getting them in iTunes so if I remember when i get to him I'll give you a shout. Only got an acoustic version on Sugar Mountain Live At Canterbury House 1968 which is an official release. The Canterbury House shows were before his first album was released.

Paul

I just found this on Spotify while looking for the song. I was born in Tulsa, OK, so I'm always interested in songs that reference the town.
Date: December 04, 2018 04:46PM
Todd's keyboard

[www.youtube.com]

THAT"S IT!! And it wasn't around when I made my search - DAMN!! The quality isn't bad either - THANK YOU!!!
Date: December 04, 2018 04:46PM
voodoopenguin

Paul

I'd LOVE to hear that!
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 04, 2018 04:48PM
Todd's keyboard

[www.youtube.com]

That is one of the boots in my storage, well found. Not the greatest sound quality but an excellent electric "The Last Trip To Tulsa".

Paul

Date: December 04, 2018 04:49PM
Listening to that you tube version... I just realized that the reason the song jumped into my head in the first place was hearing the uttering of the phrase, 'eating pennies' somewhere else in life and the lyrics just took over.
Todd's keyboard rocks!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 04, 2018 07:03PM
As does Neil, after a fashion.

I'm a fan, not a huge fan, but a fan nonetheless.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: timg
Date: December 04, 2018 07:05PM
I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern man don't need him around anyhow.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 04, 2018 10:49PM
DavidS
I was born in Tulsa, OK, so I'm always interested in songs that reference the town.
I assume you know this one, but it gives me an excuse to post a song by the Master of Space and Time:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Kate
Date: December 05, 2018 02:17AM
Blame Daryl Hannah . . .

Kate
Posted by: jonny
Date: December 05, 2018 11:11AM
hal
Todd's keyboard

[www.youtube.com]

THAT"S IT!! And it wasn't around when I made my search - DAMN!! The quality isn't bad either - THANK YOU!!!
This upload sounds considerably slowed down. Compare it to a concert recorded two days later : [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 11:29AM by jonny.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018