advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Humm, I Wonder--A Blue Jeans Epiphany
Posted by: jh
Date: December 05, 2018 06:38PM
This may be true about all brands of jeans or clothing for that matter.

For a while what jeans I do purchase and wear, due to my particular tastes, I have been wearing one particular brand of jeans. In this case, Wrangler brand plain ordinary jeans. It's been a while but I had one that was wearing out so I decided to replace it with a pair from Walmart. To me the new pair seemed lighter or thinner than my other pairs I still have even though for lack of better words they were the same "model".

So is this a pattern from a particular store such as Walmart--lower price so Wrangler makes them thinner since the profit margin is "thinner" or does Wrangler just make them thinner now? Is this my imagination or a common practice with apparel makers now?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Humm, I Wonder--A Blue Jeans Epiphany
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 05, 2018 06:43PM
my wife observed the same things. we have 2 boys, about 4 years apart. Some clothes from the older son are still good, so we keep them and pass along to the young kid. when she goes to get clothes out from those boxes, she says the quality was better back then (i.e. 4 years ago). T-shirts, pants, all seemed thicker and better made.

I also have some T-shirt from when I was grad student and I doubt you can find anything as durable these days. Sure they are outdated and I would not wear them out, but doe doing chores in back yard or other jobs they are perfect, and they will last forever. Plus, they remind me that I was once able to fit in those short, so I should be able to fit in them again. A good way to keep weight under control.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 05, 2018 07:34PM
jh
So is this a pattern from a particular store such as Walmart--lower price so Wrangler makes them thinner since the profit margin is "thinner" or does Wrangler just make them thinner now?

Both.

Resellers can spec the quality of the merchandise. Walmart is notorious for asking for cheaper versions of the same goods and anyone doing business with them will likely have contractual obligations to skimp on components or packaging.

At the same time, jeans companies are no longer using the same quality of materials as they did years ago. It's not the same cotton denim. They subcontract a lot to Asia where the factories are more automated and the weaving/cutting machines are precise enough to produce/use thinner fabrics, sometimes blending poly with the cotton to add a little more stretch and flex for fat Americans.

But there's another factor that you may not be considering: Even starting with a good thick/rugged denim, if you're buying stone-washed or distressed jeans, they're been worn down and softened at the factory. The process has evolved considerably since the dawn of the stonewashed era to result in a more consistent product. That'll make it feel a little thinner, too.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 05, 2018 07:35PM
By no means am I very knowledgeable about jeans, but the pair of Ralph Lauren that I have have lasted for years and is super comfortable
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 05, 2018 08:30PM
One thing that I’ve noticed with clothing that I’ve bought at Costco in the past few years is that while they look very good off the rack, they wear out much faster than I think they should.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 05, 2018 08:42PM
'They don't make 'em like they used to.'

While it sounds like I'm peddling Gramp's planned obsolesce rant, I think that's the big half of the equation. LOL

Then there's making a product cheaper so it can be sold cheaper than the competition. It doesn't surprise me that Walmart would require jeans to be made thinner so they could sell them cheaper than other guys.

Wasn't there some kind of pricing issued with Apple and Walmart because they wanted to advertise some Apple kit at less than MSRP, as a non-sale price, less than Apple's MAP?

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Costco might do the same. I'll still shop there, but it will Hell will have to be seriously cooling down before I set foot in or order from Walmart.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 05, 2018 09:36PM
I have posted on this before, here is what I saw being done with Wrangler jeans to get their price down at Walmart starting about 12-15 years ago.

They may use a slightly lighter denim, but not that I tested directly.

The main difference I found when I had a pair of Walmart Wrangler jeans blow out at the crotch is a change in how they are sewn. The inseam of Wrangler jeans bought elsewhere from places like Target is sewn as a double French seam, two rows of stitching are holding the seam together. The Walmart version uses a faux double seam. It is actually just a regular flat seam that has been folded over and two rows of stitching done through that seam. Only one row of stitching is actually holding the seam together, the other two rows are just decorative.

I have not bought jeans, or much of anything else, from Walmart in years. So I don't have firsthand knowledge that the same is being done. But I have heard from others that they have seen that in Wrangler jeans they purchased at Walmart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 09:41PM by JoeH.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 05, 2018 10:10PM
A lot of jeans now have spandex in them to make them more comfortable but they also wear out faster. [www.liveabout.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 05, 2018 11:08PM
A couple of years ago, I bought a few pairs of Wrangler Cargo Pants. By the second trip through the wash, seams were failing and fabric was wearing through. Cargo pants I bought from Duluth Trading is still in GREAT condition 2+ years later. The Duluth pants cost ~ 2.5 time more but, they're lasting 10 times as long with NO signs of wear.
Posted by: tenders
Date: December 05, 2018 11:31PM
The price of cotton is actually quite volatile and a lot of the clothing at big-box stores, regardless of the store, is designed to a price. When cotton is cheap, the clothing is a little nicer. When cotton is pricey, the clothing feels chintzy or goes away.

Costco, for example, had in the early 2000s, truly superb men's cotton dress shirts for $20. They disappeared in 2010, and are back now, but are no longer made in single-size sleeves (ie 16 neck/32 sleeve), which is a dealbreaker for me. They come in double-size sleeves (ie 16 neck/32-33 sleeve) which are never right.

This is why:
[www.macrotrends.net]
Posted by: billb
Date: December 06, 2018 03:59AM
I only have jeans as work pants. I almost never wear them "out".
Denim is available in different weights. Some actually want the lighter weights for Summer wear.
I never buy factory treated jeans such as acid wash and other fabric distressing and aging processes because, well, duh.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 06, 2018 06:42AM
[dearborndenim.us]

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 06, 2018 06:49AM
jh,

You get what you pay for when it comes to low-priced jeans. You don't get what you pay for when it comes to overpriced jeans. Want really good jeans at a fair price? You need to look at a place like Duluth Trading, Prison Blues and other less traditional vendors.

My favorite jeans overall are Duluth Trading Ballroom Jeans. Fair pricing, great quality and they hold up to my day to day wear and tear.

<[www.duluthtrading.com];

$54.50 may seem like bucks for a pair of jeans but the quality, excellent design and durability make the price fair and cost-effective. One pair of Duluth jeans will outlast three or four pairs of Wrangler and similar jeans. That's not even factoring in the superior design.

Prison Blues aren't as good Duluth jeans but they still hold up better than cheap off-the-shelf big box brands and, if you ask, they'll customize the length for you. And, you can get them "Rigid" style, where you have to wash and break them in yourself.

[www.prisonblues.net]

I've got a couple of non-rigid Prison Blues jeans that are still in mint condition more than 1.5 years after I bought them. Same goes for Duluth Ballroom jeans. Regular big box off-the-shelf jeans would've been shredded in places and replaced more than once by now.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2018 06:57AM
....yes, has been happening for years now....as mentioned, the same with t-shirts.....they have gotten thinner and not as durable.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 06, 2018 12:04PM
I've had good luck out of Rustlers form Fred's at $15.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018