advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$300 OFF iPhone XR (if you trade in an older iPhone 7 Plus directly to Apple)
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2018 08:01AM
More Bad News From Apple As iPhone XR Price Slashed

[www.forbes.com]

Writing for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman notes on an increase in carrier subsidies, an increase in bundled extras, and now an almost unheard of $300 discount to customers willing to trade in an older iPhone directly to Apple:

As Gurman notes on Twitter, Apple is advertising the iPhone XR on its website for a price of $449, but with a sneaky asterisk - the $300 discount is only available if you trade in an iPhone 7 Plus.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $300 OFF iPhone XR (if you trade in an older iPhone 7 Plus directly to Apple)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 06, 2018 08:04AM
In the market for an Xs and I'd like to see a real price cut.

Re: $300 OFF iPhone XR (if you trade in an older iPhone 7 Plus directly to Apple)
Posted by: tronnei
Date: December 06, 2018 08:44AM
$200 trade-in for my 6S. Not bad; I might do a little better on Swappa, but less hassle + sure thing on a trade in.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: December 06, 2018 10:19AM
I don’t understand this “prices slashed” thing. Trade-ins have been a thing for a while. It’s not like they’re selling them for $450 to anyone. What am I missing?
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 06, 2018 10:29AM
tronnei
$200 trade-in for my 6S. Not bad; I might do a little better on Swappa, but less hassle + sure thing on a trade in.

Maybe. But I bought an unlocked mint 6s 2 weeks ago for $160. I just now got it back from Apple with a new battery, so I'm in at $198 for a mint 6s with a new battery. The $200 trade looks like a deal to me.
Date: December 06, 2018 10:43AM
BernDog
I don’t understand this “prices slashed” thing. Trade-ins have been a thing for a while. It’s not like they’re selling them for $450 to anyone. What am I missing?

I was just quoting what I saw on Forbes. I am not sure what the trade-in value of a 7 Plus was before.

I would love to see Apple sell a $400-ish modern iPhone. SE was a great iPhone at a great price-point. That is what they need to do if the want to maintain market share. But they focus instead on high profit items. There has to be a middle ground.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 06, 2018 11:37AM
space-time
BernDog

I was just quoting what I saw on Forbes. I am not sure what the trade-in value of a 7 Plus was before.

I would love to see Apple sell a $400-ish modern iPhone. SE was a great iPhone at a great price-point. That is what they need to do if the want to maintain market share. But they focus instead on high profit items. There has to be a middle ground.

Supposedly the SE only accounted for 5% of sales in the U.S. (almost 10% in the UK)
Still being made and sold in India where market conditions warrant

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 06, 2018 12:24PM
Apple oversteered.

They also want as many iPhones in as many hands to maximize service revenue.

Both trends encourage Apple to give some hefty discounts this season.

I’m not in the hunt for a new iPhone for anyone in my extended family, which is exactly Apple’s problem now.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 06, 2018 01:33PM
This is kind of like buying a Tesla for $80,000 and then Elon sends you a postcard 2 years later saying he'll give you $30,000 when you trade it in towards the new model.
Date: December 06, 2018 02:59PM
datbeme
This is kind of like buying a Tesla for $80,000 and then Elon sends you a postcard 2 years later saying he'll give you $30,000 when you trade it in towards the new model.

The numbers are 100x higher, but the ratio is correct!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018