advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Odd shipping behavior from Costco.com
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 06, 2018 10:56AM
On Tuesday I placed an order with Costco.com for two boxes of LED light bulbs (same product, quantity two).

Late on Wed I got the notice that it shipped via UPS, but there are two tracking numbers, they split the order into two shipments. I've seen Amazon do the opposite, combine separate orders into one shipment.

Tracking on both show that UPS received and scanned them in Ceritos CA (near LA) on Wed, one at 6:52 PM the other at 6:56 PM.

The 6:52 PM shipment is showing delivery on 12/8, and it hasn't left Cerritos.

The 6:56 PM shipment is showing delivery on 12/7, and it has already traveled through Los Angeles.

So it just seems odd that Costco would ship two boxes of light bulbs (6 bulbs per box) in separate shipments, and even stranger that UPS would separate them even more to deliver on different days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Odd shipping behavior from Costco.com
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2018 11:04AM
.....are they coming from different warehouses/locations.......???

...it might be that one only had 1 box left so had to order 2nd from different location.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 11:15AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 06, 2018 11:05AM
pre-packaged

in a sea of boxes your two are destined to not travel together

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2018 11:10AM
first world problems smiling smiley
Date: December 06, 2018 11:14AM
there is no incentive to "save" on shipping when the shipping cost is built into the price.

The faster they get these things out the door the faster they receive their calculated profit

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 06, 2018 11:19AM
NewtonMP2100

...it might be that one only had 1 box left so and to order 2nd from different location.....

No, and UPS scanned them 4 minutes apart at the same depot, seems like they received them from Costco at the same time.

billb
pre-packaged

I do hope that they put them into a shipping box, the boxes that the bulbs come in are really not designed for shipping, unless maybe when stacked in a pallet.
Date: December 06, 2018 11:22AM
GGD
NewtonMP2100

...it might be that one only had 1 box left so and to order 2nd from different location.....

No, and UPS scanned them 4 minutes apart at the same depot, seems like they received them from Costco at the same time.

billb
pre-packaged

I do hope that they put them into a shipping box, the boxes that the bulbs come in are really not designed for shipping, unless maybe when stacked in a pallet.

Pre-packaged shipping boxes, ready to go - only need a grunt (maybe a robot, maybe someone who does not speak anglais) to affix a label and toss the pre packaged, pre-weighed package into a sea of packages.. Your precious box of lightbulbs were put in the shipping box days maybe weeks before your fingers graced your keyboard.

[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 11:23AM by billb.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 06, 2018 11:38AM
Your box is over there under the other boxes...

Date: December 06, 2018 11:43AM
billb
Pre-packaged shipping boxes, ready to go - only need a grunt (maybe a robot, maybe someone who does not speak anglais) to affix a label and toss the pre packaged, pre-weighed package into a sea of packages.. Your precious box of lightbulbs were put in the shipping box days maybe weeks before your fingers graced your keyboard.

Yes, that makes sense, although the way Costco operates I'd suspect that they have the manufacturer package them that way when it's a Costco.com item instead of a retail warehouse item.

Still somehow UPS sorted them differently and one made it onto a truck and the other stayed behind, when they went into the sorter 4 minutes apart. It was also the first one scanned that missed the truck to LA, the later one made it.

It's not a huge deal, UPS says the second will be delivered on Saturday 12/8, I had always thought that UPS didn't deliver on weekends.
Date: December 06, 2018 11:51AM
.....some guys brag about having 2 large packages....

Date: December 06, 2018 11:59AM
GGD
billb

Yes, that makes sense, although the way Costco operates I'd suspect that they have the manufacturer package them that way when it's a Costco.com item instead of a retail warehouse item.

Still somehow UPS sorted them differently and one made it onto a truck and the other stayed behind, when they went into the sorter 4 minutes apart. It was also the first one scanned that missed the truck to LA, the later one made it.

It's not a huge deal, UPS says the second will be delivered on Saturday 12/8, I had always thought that UPS didn't deliver on weekends.

It's also possible your first package was the last one in a bulk pack and the 4 minute difference is the time it took for someone or something to swap the empty bulk pack with a new full one. In between your two 17 other packages of other things were processed.
There's too many differtent kinds of automated and semi-automated systems to try to guess why an order would get split it up. Someone could have tossed one of your packages at a heart-throb across the room and it ended up in a different truck. :-)

[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 06, 2018 12:01PM
.....people love 'ships.......they force 2 people together and then never let anyone else into that coupling.......

Date: December 07, 2018 04:24PM
Both boxes were delivered today (12/7), the tracking for the one box that had said 12/8 changed to 12/7, but they took very different routes, I think one might have gone by air the other by truck. Both met up at my local depot and were on the same delivery truck.

These were pre-boxed by the manufacturer, Costco just slapped a UPS label on each box, and a packing list pouch on one of them.

Even though the website shows a picture of a carton with 6 bulbs in it, each box contained three 2-pack cardboard-blister packs of bulbs, and this shipping box had the manufacturer's info on a side sticker.

And UPS had the two tracking numbers linked, and their tracking page showed it as a two-part shipment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018