advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
edge of tomorrow?!.....Microsoft bringing it's Edge web browser to the Mac......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2018 11:53AM
.....in case you want to avoid it....

Microsoft Edge Web Browser Coming to the Mac Over 15 Years After Internet Explorer for Mac

.....Microsoft today announced that it expects to bring its Edge web browser to the Mac, possibly as early as next year.

"Microsoft Edge will now be delivered and updated for all supported versions of Windows and on a more frequent cadence. We also expect this work to enable us to bring Microsoft Edge to other platforms like macOS," said Microsoft.

The news was revealed as part of Microsoft's larger announcement that Edge will be rebuilt based on the open source Chromium rendering engine, the same engine used by Google Chrome on Mac. Microsoft said it expects to have a preview build of the Chromium-based Edge browser ready in early 2019 for users to try.

However, it's unclear if the preview will initially be limited to Windows or extend to the Mac simultaneously.

Edge succeeded Internet Explorer as Microsoft's default web browser on Windows in 2015, with a mobile version later released for iOS and Android. It will be Microsoft's first web browser on Mac since Internet Explorer for Mac received its last feature update over 15 years ago, in June 2003.

browse...............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: edge of tomorrow?!.....Microsoft bringing it's Edge web browser to the Mac......
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 06, 2018 12:30PM
Perhaps a better headline would be, they are actually axing EDGE, and are going to be bringing an EDGE "branded" version of the Chromium engine used in Chrome, to Mac OS and Windows.

I'll just stick with Chrome thanks.
Re: edge of tomorrow?!.....Microsoft bringing it's Edge web browser to the Mac......
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 06, 2018 12:39PM
This is good. Google needs some competition on the Mac platform
Posted by: rz
Date: December 06, 2018 12:53PM
Um, yeah. No.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 06, 2018 01:03PM
sekker
This is good. Google needs some competition on the Mac platform

Except it's not really competition because they are both going to be based on the same engine, which actually means less diversity which can be harmful in the long term as content could potentially be developed with limited compatibility.

From ArsTechnica - [arstechnica.com]

Ars
Abandonment of Edge may also have consequences for the development of Web standards. The process currently used by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C; the industry body that oversees development of HTML, CSS, and some related standards) requires the demonstration of interoperable independent implementations of any new feature before that feature can be standardized. This ensures that the features are not too tied to the implementation specifics of any one browser. With Apple often indifferent to features that Microsoft and Google have prioritized, this leaves only Mozilla as a consistent supplier of independent implementations, further increasing the burden on the open source organization.

A switch to Blink also raises the specter of a return to Internet Explorer 6's heyday, when Web pages were designed not for Web standards, but specifically for the quirks and oddities of Microsoft then-dominant browser. The desktop will be owned by Blink, with the mobile space split between Apple's WebKit and Android's Blink.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 06, 2018 02:21PM
Great, just what macOS needs, more CRAP banghead smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 06, 2018 02:42PM
Finally I’ll be able to import my old bookmarks from IE5!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 06, 2018 04:10PM
Once in a while I open Edge by mistake on my work PC.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 06, 2018 05:29PM
mikebw
Perhaps a better headline would be, they are actually axing EDGE, and are going to be bringing an EDGE "branded" version of the Chromium engine used in Chrome, to Mac OS and Windows.

I'll just stick with Chrome thanks.

I'll stick with Safari. I feel much less used and abused that way.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 06, 2018 10:31PM
Oooooh, browser wars again! RollingEyesSmiley5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018