advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Signed up for Marriott's "WebWatcher" service due to data breach - but . . .
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 06, 2018 12:09PM
Marriott has posted info on its data breach here:
[info.starwoodhotels.com]
which redirects to Kroll, here:
[answers.kroll.com]

On the right, halfway down the page, you can click on your country to sign up for Kroll's monitoring service, called "WebWatcher"

The signup requires that you set up an account, and give them your contact info and birthdate. You can also give them a bunch of other sensitive info like social security number, passport number, bank account, credit cards, etc. for them to monitor.

The password you choose has to have an uppercase letter and a number, and can have special characters.
But it won't let you use a long password.

I first tried a password with 19 characters. Then 18, then 17. It finally let me use one with 14 characters.
Longer passwords are supposed to be more secure.

And this from a security monitoring service that wants to to give them all your sensitive info. Why don't they allow long passwords?

Hmm.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Signed up for Marriott's "WebWatcher" service due to data breach - but . . .
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2018 12:10PM
....well, son of a breech.............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Signed up for Marriott's "WebWatcher" service due to data breach - but . . .
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 06, 2018 01:19PM
Winston,

Had you received an email from Marriott saying you were affected, or did you just decide to sign up for the monitoring service on your own?

I haven't received any kind of email (yet).

Thanks

Posted by: Winston
Date: December 06, 2018 07:49PM
I had not received an email from Marriott. Another company sent me a marketing "newsletter" email which had info on the Marriott breach. They ranked Marriott 2 out of 10 for their handling of the data loss.

Marriott has been very slow in dealing with this, which was one of the reasons for the low rating. Marriott is likely to pay very large fines to the EU and a number of states for not informing people sooner. On top of that are the inevitable class action lawsuits. They also dinged Marriott for having a redirect to Kroll, a company many people haven't heard of, and for using an email domain to send messages related to the breach that looks like a phishing domain: @email-marriott.com

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 06, 2018 08:17PM
Thanks for that info
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018