advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
opinions/options on portable bluetooth speakers...?
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 06, 2018 12:46PM
We have a couple of the $30 Anker Soundcores, they are fine for most things... but looking for something bigger and better... say around $100?

Ive seen reviews, but they all seem to be "meh" on sound, or the sound isnt much better than our $30 anker.

Anyone have personal experience with one?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: opinions/options on portable bluetooth speakers...?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 06, 2018 01:59PM
It's beyond your budget...but you'll be happy you did it.

[www.marshallheadphones.com]

Awesome sound for a portable. I leave it plugged in the living room most of the time, but for the last few weeks Ive been dragging it around the house while painting. The battery life is 20 hours plus.

It does a great job of keeping track of the bluetooth connection. Other speakers seem to forget my phone frequently. It looks great too.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 02:00PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 06, 2018 02:18PM
Thanks... if I go that much prob just do a homepod when they go $249 again.

Its not really for "whole house" listening, just one small room. The Anker is pretty good, but missing bass, and some depth.

Ive heard others mention BT connectivity... we never seem to have an issue. Speakers, headphones, trackpad, keyboards, etc all seem to work 100% of the time.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 06, 2018 02:41PM
I think the UE Boom 2 offers a pretty nice bang for the buck in that price range. Prices are all over the map, but you can often find them for ~$90-100 (or even less) new. $109 at Amazon right now.

I cannot compare to a $30 Anker or larger and more costly BT speakers, but the combination of price, size and sound quality are pretty darn good. I originally bought one for my son thinking I'd see how good it was and maybe get something nicer for myself. But for the portable uses I want it for, this is perfect. I've ordered a few more since then for myself and others.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: December 06, 2018 03:41PM
I don't know if it sounds good or not, but this one looks cool.

Amazon link

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 03:43PM by kurtzie.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 06, 2018 04:58PM
The Soundcore Flare is supposedly one of the best low-end BT speakers at $60

Monoprice also has a pair that broadcast in stereo. The left speaker connects to your phone, echo, etc then the right one connects to the left. I haven't fond much about sound quality other than the onsite reviews.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: dk62
Date: December 06, 2018 05:42PM
I like the MegaBoom.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 06, 2018 06:19PM
datbeme
I think the UE Boom 2 offers a pretty nice bang for the buck in that price range.

One feature I like about the UE Boom 2 (and some of their other products), along with some of the JBL products is that you can wirelessly link multiple speakers together to cover a larger space. Doesn't sound like something you need right now, but it's something I would consider myself for "future use" proofing.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 06, 2018 06:23PM
I like my UE MegaBoom, but the other options in the boom series are good too. You can connect multiple speakers for stereo sound.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 06, 2018 06:46PM
It's beyond your budget...but you'll be happy you did it.

I so want one of those, mainly for the aesthetics, but I'm glad that it's also a high-quality speaker. My one quibble would be that for a speaker that pricy, I'd like AirPlay as well.

99.9% of the many BT speakers I've heard are too bass heavy, with muddy mid bass and little to no mid-range and treble. They're for people who's idea of music is all about the bass.

I've got one of the Anker Soundcore 2 speakers. It's output isn't room filling, but it's frequency response is typically too skewed to bass.

I got an OontZ Angle 3 speaker by Cambridge Sound works for $20 (currently $24) and sonically it's a much better balanced speaker. While advertising 'Play it LOUD' and having 'rich bass', it too is not a rock-the-house speaker. But for people wanting something a small, portable near field BT, this is worthy of consideration (unless you're all about that bass).

I wouldn't mind looking at something in the $100 range, although I'm waiting for a $250 HomePod to show up on radar again.

The Monoprice mention is the first I've heard (npi) of for stereo BT speakers, other than audioengine. You'd think there would be at least a few manufacturers that would offer a single BT speaker that could be paired with an optional second, for discrete BT stereo.

But that Kilburn II...

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 07, 2018 08:19AM
I'm one of those people who has problems with Bluetooth. I have a Kicker boom box that sounds good (lots of bass), but it constantly loses connection, even though my Mac or iPhone is only a few feet away from it. Ditto with a pair of Bluetooth headphones I have. I've pretty much given up on Bluetooth as unreliable.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2018 08:20AM
.....might be some interference.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018