advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
California unclaimed Property, quite a Hassel
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 06, 2018 04:12PM
Father had $86 in an unclaimed property here in California. I started the process. Needed copy of Trust. No pour over will. Needed will, then finally weeks later, need copy of my brother and sisters Death Certificate, as this $86 wasn't designated as being in the trust.

My brother died over 30 years ago, and sister at least 20. I havent been in contact with my nephews or sister in law, and I would feel embarrassed to contact them about a Death Certificate, when we don't have an ongoing relationship. So I think I will drop the claim, and forget the $86

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 08:05AM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: California unclaimed Property, quite a passel
Posted by: PeterW
Date: December 06, 2018 04:23PM
You can get death certicates from the state/ county where the person died. Google “obtain death certicate” and whatever locality where each died.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 06, 2018 04:48PM
A DC costs $30 bucks here, actually $30 for the first one and $15 for copies made at the same time.

I have $146 in Boston that I gave up on getting back due to the continual requesting of more information.
I guess I should pursue this just so it's not even more of a hassle for someone else.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 06, 2018 06:15PM
I did 2 unclaimed properties in CA last year. Both were less trouble than you're having! One I managed to fill out online and that was it. The other I think I had to mail in with 1 extra piece of information (like a copy of my ID or utility bill, something easy). I think one was an Office Depot rebate or something that I probably forgot to cash or got lost in the mail and I think the other was an overpaid utility maybe?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2018 06:53PM
I found something like $80 or so from some unclaimed rebate, I got my money.

then just for fun, I entered some last names of people I know, some of them were not that common. So I enter the name of my advisor, and a list of 10 names comes up. One of the matches the name of his daughter. It is for about $150 (I think) from some Colgate rebate. Not sure what to do, I have no contact with him for about 10 years, and didn't see meet his family in 20 years.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 06, 2018 09:16PM
Hmmm...I had some sort of payment from Travelzoo to the tune of $174. Submitted the claim and we will await a check! Why it's mine, no clue. The address listed was more than 15 years old. Thanks!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2018 09:53PM
....got a lost $50 rebate check 2 years ago from my state......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 07, 2018 08:05AM
We had two, one was easy, and direct deposit, in less than a month, this one legally tied up
Re: California unclaimed Property, quite a Hassel
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 07, 2018 09:54AM
I just received a surprise check from Chase Bank for interest on an account I closed two years ago.

Somehow they just realized that they owed me this additional amount.

The check was for 8 cents!!!!!!!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2018 10:34AM
....cents and centsability......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 07, 2018 01:01PM
Janit
I just received a surprise check from Chase Bank for interest on an account I closed two years ago.

Somehow they just realized that they owed me this additional amount.

The check was for 8 cents!!!!!!!

When I paid off my mortgage with them, I intentionally overpaid by $0.01, just so they would send me a check for the overpayment. I wanted it as proof that they didn't think I owed them any money. I never cashed the check, and haven't seen any unclaimed property notices for it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018