advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how do I download a license for 1Password 6?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2018 08:15PM
I have purchases 1Password many years ago, I think several versions, probably 3 and 4 or 5 for windows and Mac. When I asked which license I have, I got an email with all licenses information. for iPassword 6 there is no code, there is a link to a license file and a note: Your 1Password 6 license entitles you to use 1Password 4 and 5 as well which use the same license file as 1Password 6.

The link takes me here:

[support.1password.com]

which says:

Legacy license files are no longer available for download. If you previously downloaded your license file, you can search your Mac for it and apply it to 1Password.

If you purchased a standalone license for 1Password for Mac between January 1, 2013, and March 26, 2018, your license came in the form of a license file. Your license file remains valid for 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 for Mac.

I never used 1Password 6, I always knew I had a license, but I was stuck with 1Password 4. So now we have a new Mac (Mojave) and we cannot use 1Password 6 because we don't have that license file.

I looked in my gmail, no email from them has any attachments. I don't think I ever got a license file.

I am not very pleased.

CCC/Bombich rocks. Agile/Dave Teare not so much.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how do I download a license for 1Password 6?
Date: December 06, 2018 09:04PM
and back to my old computer, running 10.9.5, with 1Password 4, which has been running fine for many years, I look up the license info and I see this:

Posted by: Bixby
Date: December 06, 2018 09:38PM
I'd just email them, like they ask you to on that page.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 06, 2018 10:21PM
Bixby

Historically, their support has been exceptionally good, except when asked why they're taking such pains to hide the links to buy a perpetual license.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 06, 2018 10:54PM
Sarcany
Bixby

Historically, their support has been exceptionally good, except when asked why they're taking such pains to hide the links to buy a perpetual license.

Why do you need to ask that question? They are doing that to make more money.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: December 07, 2018 12:24AM
They got back to me, with an email pointing out how to recover the license file from the other computer (I never used 1P6, so I have no license file), or a $20 credit toward 1P7 membership. No mention of a stand-alone license for 1P7. They really want you to sign up for SAAS.

eventually towards the end they attached a license file (not for sale and some code).

While they did solve my prob (I think), I still do not appreciate their business model.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 07, 2018 06:35AM
rjmacs
Sarcany
Bixby

They offer a perpetual license, but don't link to it and the option is hidden behind obscure text in the latest version of the app. If it was all about the money, why offer the perpetual license at all?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2018 07:46AM
....you have to get a license to thrill........first.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 07, 2018 08:18AM
Sarcany
rjmacs
Sarcany
Bixby

They offer a perpetual license, but don't link to it and the option is hidden behind obscure text in the latest version of the app. If it was all about the money, why offer the perpetual license at all?

For people like you (and me, and a bunch of other deal hogs like us), who will still buy but only after hunting around endlessly for a deal.

This isn't rocket science. Retailers put the most profitable items up front, on the end caps, and at the registers. You want bulk food? In the back near the restrooms and the custodian's closet.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 08:19AM by rjmacs.
Date: December 07, 2018 10:25AM
rjmacs nailed it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018