advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
fun "buying" on eBay!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 06, 2018 09:06PM
The listing is Buy It Now, or Make an Offer (not an auction).

BIN price = $55

So I don't intend to necessarily lowball, but hey let's not just give him everything automatically, right? $40, auto-rejected.

No problem, $45 might do it. Nope, auto-rejected.

OK he's asking $55 to buy-it-now but since he's accepting offers, surely $50 ought get it done.

Not so much.

So he's expecting somewhere between $50.01 and $54.99 but that's gonna be somewhere between a penny and $4.99 that cost us both an agreement. I'm done.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: fun "buying" on eBay!
Posted by: clay
Date: December 06, 2018 09:12PM
yeah, that's been a long standing complaint of mine -- if you don't want to accept less than asking, why even put the option there? But I've used that feature plenty of times with great success when buying.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 06, 2018 09:25PM
Personally, I like to make an offer, let them counter then wait a day. Then a new counter comes and I didn't even have to do anything. Sellers feel a bite and then can't handle the silence.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 06, 2018 09:28PM
Yea, eBay should implement a requirement that if you accept offers, your max auto-rejection has to be 90% of the BIN or lower. I think they already have restrictions on the BIN price vs starting bid or reserve vs BIN price.

I think for fun/frustration I got to $1 less than the BIN and still got auto-rejected.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 06, 2018 10:05PM
M A V I C
Personally, I like to make an offer, let them counter then wait a day. Then a new counter comes and I didn't even have to do anything. Sellers feel a bite and then can't handle the silence.

I just made an offer on something else that has this counter-offer setup, but I didn't realize the seller might or could make a second counter offer before seeing what I say. Either way, yeah, I'll sleep on this second item tonight.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 06, 2018 11:41PM
so offer $56, find out if it's just you

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 07, 2018 12:21AM
Gareth

I think for fun/frustration I got to $1 less than the BIN and still got auto-rejected.
Damn. I got rejected twice on a new opened boxed item. Guy wouldn’t budge. I’m like look dude, your item doesn’t have a warranty anymore so it’s like new opened no warranty. He was trying to sell within $5 of new. (It was a hub bearing fwiw). I’m like here is my last offer, you can accept or good luck. It was new and opened, it’s been working great in rear wheel on my 9 year old Saturn. After he realized it lost some value because he couldn’t return it, he gave it up.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 07, 2018 04:04AM
I have always figured that those folks are willing to accept something lower but not 10% lower. So, I usually offer 9.5% lower, rounded to some reasonable level, and usually it's accepted.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: December 07, 2018 05:51AM
Most of the time when I make an offer I'm told they only accept offers if you're buying multiples. Sheesh.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 07, 2018 08:27AM
I have only bought a few things that way and my offers have always been accepted. I usually offer around 90% of their asking price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018