advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why do people line up to board planes?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 11, 2018 07:15PM
I can't figure this out. What makes you want to hurry up and be the first person on the flying sardine can? I wait as long as I possibly can to get onboard. Seats are assigned, no one is going anywhere faster, if you have an isle seat you have to keep moving out of the way of everyone.

Why don't they board back of the plane to front of the plane? Am I crazy?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why do people line up to board planes?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 11, 2018 07:18PM
......the issue is the carry-on bag.......they want to get it before space runs out and you have to put your carry-on far away from where you sit........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 11, 2018 07:20PM
NewtonMP2100
......the issue is the carry-on bag.......they want to get it before space runs out and you have to put your carry-on far away from where you sit........

Other than this, I can't see any other reason.
Posted by: bik
Date: December 11, 2018 07:23PM
C(-)ris

IDK... I don't fly a lot, but the flights I have been on, it seems like they usually call for chunks of rows going back-to-front.

Maybe that's just bigger planes (when I do fly, it's usually overseas).
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 11, 2018 07:26PM
NewtonMP2100

Absolutely this!
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 11, 2018 07:30PM
Stowing carry-on is my primary flight anxiety. I've paid extra to get early seating in coach. The massive stacks of trunks people drag on as "carry-on" then hog up all the overhead space is ridiculous.
Posted by: timg
Date: December 11, 2018 07:31PM
NewtonMP2100

This has become a paramount concern these days. So many people are carrying their luggage on board now that nearly every airline is charging for checked bags.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 11, 2018 07:33PM
Yeah, and the inconsiderate idiots who stow their carry-on in the overhead at the front of the plane even though their seat in in the rear of the plane.

Because it's all about me
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 11, 2018 07:42PM
what Newt said. especially if you are carrying on a guitar.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 11, 2018 07:42PM
I am so glad I don't fly with a guitar anymore.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 11, 2018 07:44PM
graylocks

Is that allowed?

I'd think it would be far too large.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 11, 2018 07:50PM
Same question as to why all the people stand up when the plane stops.

WTH is that. Stand up and wait? ugh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 11, 2018 08:05PM
freeradical
graylocks

Is that allowed?

for most airplane compartments a guitar in a hard shell case does easily fit in the overhead. the FAA worked out an agreement with the musicians union a few years ago saying airlines had to allow this. considerate musicians board early while the bins are still empty and go to the rear of the plane. when deplaning i always get off last so as to not knock someone in the head when getting the guitar down. i haven’t had to check a guitar in years though i mostly travel southwest which even before the agreement never hassled musicians.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: billb
Date: December 11, 2018 08:13PM
herd mentality
although different airlines have different boarding procedures
with some I'm surprised they haven't had more troubles with people crashing the gates and totally ignoring protocols

Southwest's free for all non-assigned seats is tempered somewhat by boarding groups.

Standing up as soon as the fasten seat belt sign goes out makes sense if you are tired of sitting. Some people don't sit on their fat ass all day and hours on a flight wedged into a tiny seat is practically cruel and unusual. Of course people stand up as soon as they can. Followers practice Monkey see monkey do.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 06:16AM by mrp-admin.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 11, 2018 08:13PM
They also do not board Back-to-Front for balance reasons. Remember planes do not have any support at the rear.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: billb
Date: December 11, 2018 08:26PM
graylocks
freeradical
graylocks

Is that allowed?

for most airplane compartments a guitar in a hard shell case does easily fit in the overhead. the FAA worked out an agreement with the musicians union a few years ago saying airlines had to allow this. considerate musicians board early while the bins are still empty and go to the rear of the plane. when deplaning i always get off last so as to not knock someone in the head when getting the guitar down. i haven’t had to check a guitar in years though i mostly travel southwest which even before the agreement never hassled musicians.

ACtually guitars on a plane follows rules implemented in 2012 by the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
Every airline has to follow the rules in that act which are not exactly implicit. Some flight decks have a closet they can use for musical instruments that would compromises spacing in overheads and these closet(s) can be used for other items like carry-ons from regular passengers and and handicapped passengers that might struggle with the overhead bins.
The Law implemented in 2012 puts the determination of use on a flight by flight basis, in other words on a case by case basis by the flight crew.
I wish they'd toss more people who give flight crews a hard time off the plane. Not that every flight crew person is an angel.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 11, 2018 08:40PM
I used to fly with all my camera gear. Check it? Not a chance. Carry on is the only option. Board late and get forced to gate check? Not a chance. I've know people who have had their gear stolen that way. Airlines do not cover gate checked luggage.

Having to gate check increases the chance of lost luggage, a missed connection or otherwise delay you.

Often there's no where to sit in the boarding area, so sitting on a plane is preferred.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 11, 2018 08:41PM
I always take the DB Cooper seat whenever it's available.

I wonder what people kvetch about when they fly in...

omg, that toilet paper is only Two Ply!!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 11, 2018 08:41PM
jdc

Perhaps because they've been sitting for a long time and want to stand?

I sometimes do it to get closer to my carry on. A friend wasn't paying attention and someone stole his carry on.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Drew
Date: December 11, 2018 08:53PM
Entertainment. Feels good to get my carryon stored above my seat, then get settled in and enjoy the show of everyone else jostling for space. Especially the ones trying to punch their way oversized bag into that tiny overhead space.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 11, 2018 08:58PM
C(-)ris
I can't figure this out. What makes you want to hurry up and be the first person on the flying sardine can? I wait as long as I possibly can to get onboard. Seats are assigned, no one is going anywhere faster, if you have an isle seat you have to keep moving out of the way of everyone.

I agree with every word you wrote. I try to be the last person to board and I am happy to check my carryon for free on the boarding ramp.

A few years ago we flew a budget airline in Australia which loaded the back of the plane first. It was super smooth and super quick. And, no, the 175k pound plane was not bothered by the 20k pounds of flesh boarding to the rear.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: CW2V
Date: December 11, 2018 09:12PM

CW2V
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 11, 2018 09:39PM
Ombligo
They also do not board Back-to-Front for balance reasons. Remember planes do not have any support at the rear.

but when people exit the plane, the front exits first, then the back. when about half the passengers left the plane, the remaining half is mostly in the back.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 11, 2018 10:22PM
My wife's disabled so we get to preboard. Recently they called for preboarding and immediately after we started down the jetway they began boarding the first class/platinum passengers, and some of them literally squeezed past my wife's wheelchair to beat her onto the plane. Cause yeah you'll get to Hawaii faster that way.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 11, 2018 10:28PM
jdc

I don't care about the boarding as much as the deplaning. I think they should make people depart in order, say the first five rows can leave, then the next five rows, and so on. I travel light and always end up stuck on the plane while everyone wrestles down their overstuffed luggage at the same time, filling the aisle with a ton of bags and imprisoning everyone behind them.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 11, 2018 10:40PM
$tevie
jdc

I don't care about the boarding as much as the deplaning. I think they should make people depart in order, say the first five rows can leave, then the next five rows, and so on. I travel light and always end up stuck on the plane while everyone wrestles down their overstuffed luggage at the same time, filling the aisle with a ton of bags and imprisoning everyone behind them.

And to make matters worse, one is usually breathing in the jet fuel fumes while the door is open.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 11, 2018 11:23PM
Mike Johnson
My wife's disabled so we get to preboard. Recently they called for preboarding and immediately after we started down the jetway they began boarding the first class/platinum passengers, and some of them literally squeezed past my wife's wheelchair to beat her onto the plane. Cause yeah you'll get to Hawaii faster that way.

Well, yeah, first class does get to Hawaii faster... everybody knows that :-).
I'm the family gimp here, and have also been passed more than a few times on the way to the plane. Seem like SOP. On the outbound leg, I'll take a wheelchair from the curb to the gate area, but use my walker to get to the plane, and gate check it there. Depends on how arduous the trip is as to what happens on the way home. Last month, coming home from the Big Island's outdoor boarding at Kona, the preboarding included being pushed up the meandering boarding ramp in a wheelchair to the plane, in front of the full load of passengers awaiting their trip back to mainland. Most embarrassing preboarding moment ever.

FYI, flight attendant wife agrees #1 reason for cattle call boarding is carry on stowage, but next is peeing and replenishing pee (water/drinks).

==
==

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 06:17AM by mrp-admin.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 11, 2018 11:25PM
Carryon during a business trip. I do not want to check my bag in that circumstance, and sometimes it can put a connecting flight in jeopardy if they pink tag my bag.

If I have already checked my bag, I have been known to get a first class upgrade and wait to be one of the last to board.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 12, 2018 12:52AM
I would prefer to get on the plane last but overhead storage is always an issue. People try to bring way to large of baggage onto airplanes.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 12, 2018 01:06AM
Does Southwest use reserved seating now?

They didn't years back, when I flew with them.

And it always ticked me off the way a lot of people crammed carry-ons that should never have been passed.

I put those people who put their 'carry-ons' in the front bins and head to their middle or rear seats (because they don't want to carry their bags a few feet) in the same category as those who've been alleged to place blocks in the seats in front of them so that passenger can't recline.

I say 'alleged' because I've never heard a first-person witness account.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Drew
Date: December 12, 2018 01:17AM
In Japan, we have so-called LCCs (low-cost carriers). No frills airlines without much seating space, but cheap to fly. They strictly control carryon size and number, and spell out the dimensions clearly when buying a ticket. Of course, they charge extra for luggage, but again it's clearly spelled out. Boarding is always from the rear, with FAs right there to help, and also make sure that passengers use the storage above or below their own seat. It all makes for a very orderly, quick, and largely stress-free boarding experience.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 12, 2018 05:35AM
I think there's a psychological aspect to it, as well as overhead space. When you sit in your seat, you're in your seat and you can relax. You now "own" that seat. If you fly regularly you've probably seen people not get on a plane that was overbooked. Not many people want to be in that circumstance. I know they can take your seat away for somebody else even after you're in it, but I've never seen that happen. I have seen people who seem to have a reserved seat not be able to get on a plane.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 12, 2018 06:30AM
Definitely the carryon space is the reason I've seen. Sometimes I lag behind and gate check my bag if I'm flying alone or with a coworker. But with the family, we try to get on as soon as possible so we can get our bags overhead quickly and safely and close to us.

As far as the boarding goes, I believe mythbusters did a show on the best way to board a plane. IIRC it wasn't what you'd think.

Posted by: tenders
Date: December 12, 2018 07:18AM
A lot of research has been done on optimal plane boarding procedures and it turns out in real life, random boarding is as (in-)efficient as anything else. I don’t remember what it is but there is a real-life problem with lining everyone up in the terminal in boarding order so the plane loads from back to front. It may be that arrivals from connecting flights don’t always allow everyone to be in the queue properly and their showing up late ends up delaying the process, just like a random approach. There are also similar problems with loading outside-in - the window seats first, then the middle seats, then the aisle seats. It’s a great idea if you can stage everything first but that’s not actually possible.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 12, 2018 08:05AM
Disabled, wheelchair, elderly, families with babies/toddlers strollers should all board last. Let's call them Group B

Let the able bodied people get in their seats first. When Group B gets on afterwards the already seated passengers are more able to get up and shift to get out of the way to let them on afterwards. It's not as easy vice-versa.
Date: December 12, 2018 08:37AM
3d
Disabled, wheelchair, elderly, families with babies/toddlers strollers should all board last. Let's call them Group B

Let the able bodied people get in their seats first. When Group B gets on afterwards the already seated passengers are more able to get up and shift to get out of the way to let them on afterwards. It's not as easy vice-versa.

they may be more able but not necessarily more willing and many will do so with attitude and annoyed looks that are hurtful and insulting to endure. if you don’t think this is true then you haven’t worked much in retail customer service.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 12, 2018 09:36AM
tenders
A lot of research has been done on optimal plane boarding procedures and it turns out in real life, random boarding is as (in-)efficient as anything else. I don’t remember what it is but there is a real-life problem with lining everyone up in the terminal in boarding order so the plane loads from back to front. It may be that arrivals from connecting flights don’t always allow everyone to be in the queue properly and their showing up late ends up delaying the process, just like a random approach. There are also similar problems with loading outside-in - the window seats first, then the middle seats, then the aisle seats. It’s a great idea if you can stage everything first but that’s not actually possible.

I can believe that, as it seems to be the corollary to studies I have seen relative to traffic merging. I find those sorts of analyses very fascinating.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 12, 2018 10:26AM
Michael
I think there's a psychological aspect to it, as well as overhead space. When you sit in your seat, you're in your seat and you can relax. You now "own" that seat. If you fly regularly you've probably seen people not get on a plane that was overbooked. Not many people want to be in that circumstance. I know they can take your seat away for somebody else even after you're in it, but I've never seen that happen. I have seen people who seem to have a reserved seat not be able to get on a plane.

I agree with this.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 12, 2018 12:04PM
space-time
NewtonMP2100

Other than this, I can't see any other reason.

Just had to put a carry on under the seat, so I could only move my feet about 2 inches from LAX to Newark, almost 5 hours. A real pain in the "leg".

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 12, 2018 01:08PM
Well, now you lost us all. emoticon-animal-022

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: dk62
Date: December 12, 2018 01:16PM
It is all about carry on luggage. I detest lines and am usually happy to leisurely board at the very end of my group or after every one else. However, in those rare cases when I fly domestically (and thus likely in coach), I make sure to board early as I cannot imagine having my luggage under the seat in front of me when the leg room in coach is ridiculous as is.
Date: December 12, 2018 04:32PM
tenders

There are a few ways they could speed up the boarding process; random would work very well. None of that matters because the airlines most specifically do not want a quick, efficient process. They want it to hurt, so they can sign people up for credit cards so they can get priority. The plan was so successful many airlines have had to implement a very very VIP program because too many people were getting priority boarding.
Date: December 12, 2018 04:45PM
3d

My wife is disabled. We’d be fine with boarding last. When I fly without her, I’m often one of the last people to board. I hate sitting on the plane during the boarding process. It’s the worst part of the entire trip.

That said, there’d have to be some allowance for our carryon. More and more often, the last people on a plane are forced to gate check their luggage. Being disabled shouldn’t mean you can’t take a carryon. And often, we really don’t want to check a bag, not because of fees, but because when you’re the last one off the plane and you’re in a wheelchair and you have to get to baggage claim, you inevitably end up at the back of the line at the taxi stand or rental car counter. Pretty typically by the time we get to baggage claim the carousel is empty save for our bags. Everybody from our flight is in line at Hertz.

From the airline/gate perspective, disabled passengers requiring employee assistance need to go on first because otherwise you’ve got some employee cooling their heels waiting for the passengers to be settled. I think too that if everybody was seated before they brought on the babies and disabled passengers it’d feel like everybody’s waiting on them, that they’re responsible if the planes takes off late. And maybe they would be. Preboarding, they’re usually still busy cleaning and prepping the cabin. Boarding the disabled passengers and small children last would add ten minutes to the turnaround time.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: December 13, 2018 07:48AM
RAMd®d
Does Southwest use reserved seating now?

They didn't years back, when I flew with them.

And it always ticked me off the way a lot of people crammed carry-ons that should never have been passed.

I put those people who put their 'carry-ons' in the front bins and head to their middle or rear seats (because they don't want to carry their bags a few feet) in the same category as those who've been alleged to place blocks in the seats in front of them so that passenger can't recline.

I say 'alleged' because I've never heard a first-person witness account.

Southwest doesn't reserve seats, but they do reserve boarding order. You can actually pay to get on early--$15 the last time I flew SW--or you can checkin as soon as online checkin opens (24 hrs before flight). If you pay or have status, you board in the A1-15 or A16-30 range. If you nail the 24hrs-in-advance checkin time, you will be no worst than B1-30. Generally if you're flying alone or with one or two persons, B1-30 is adequate. The first person in your party can reserve a row of seats if need be--I have never seen anyone hassled for this. Or if you really want to be first, pay the $15 and again reserve adjacent seats for the remainder of your party.

Frankly I find the SW airline boarding process the most pleasant of all the airlines and a vast improvement over my experience from years ago. Delta tries to funnel people into zones (premium, Sky, 1, 2, etc.), but it doesn't really work.

And yes, getting on early is about overhead storage space reasonably close to where you are seated. Also when the plan lands, I want to get up and stretch my legs as soon as possible. Yes, I'd rather stand for 10min in the aisle rather than extend my hour-long sit (it's no more than an hour because I frequently stand and walk around when flying; seating too long is not good for circulation) for even one additional member
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 13, 2018 09:22AM
I agree people want to get their bags in order, but it also seems to me, at least with open seating like with Southwest, that people really want to grab a window or aisle seat so as not to be stuck in the middle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 366
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018