advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is iPhone 6 with 3rd party battery still eligible for $29 replacement?
Posted by: fauch
Date: December 16, 2018 02:08PM
Awhile back I replaced my iPhone 6 battery at a third party store. They claimed that the battery was an official Apple replacement but I'm not sure because the battery health feature doesn't work and there's no way it's still at 100%.

Anyway when they crack it open they will see the original battery was replaced. Is it still eligible for the $29 replacement which ends on 12/31? I haven't seen any info on this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 02:34PM by fauch.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is iPhone 6 with 3rd party battery still eligible for $29 replacement
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: December 16, 2018 02:35PM
third party batteries are considered a potential safety hazard. depending on what the battery looks like (i.e. non-traditional apple markings) - it may or may not get serviced. it's going to be a crapshoot.
Re: Is iPhone 6 with 3rd party battery still eligible for $29 replacement?
Posted by: MarkD
Date: December 16, 2018 02:41PM
I replaced early this year with non-apple repair place because of the long wait for the battery. Took it down for the 29 replacement. I told him what the situation was and the genius said there was a possibility that it was an apple battery. He opened it enough to see it was not covered, so apple did nothing because of the hazards, but the 3d Party place ended up doing a replacement for me for free. (Experimac in Houston)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 16, 2018 10:11PM
Just replaced the (original) battery in our iP6, which stopped upticking the cycle count well over a year ago... it was stuck on 428 back then, and I figure it's cycled at least 100+ times since it stopped incrementing. Genius runs Apple's diagnostics and says cycle count is 432 and battery has 96% health, and is in "great shape". Reality is probably 550+ cycle count and <67% health... battery doesn't last long with any sort of usage, and clearly isn't anywhere near 96% healthy. Good luck getting yours replaced... I'm thinking this battery stuff is like SCSI voodoo.
==
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 16, 2018 10:37PM
I had a battery replaced in my 4s back when I still had it, but it was still draining so I thought perhaps I should bite the bullet and take it to the Apple store. I was told by the folks in the Philly Apple Store that once a third party had cracked an iPhone open they would no longer work on it. I said, hypothetically, not even if I offered you a thousand dollars, and they said nope, as soon as a third party has opened it they wash their hands of it.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 17, 2018 06:31AM
....it is like Apple thinks it has cooties now and won't touch it....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 17, 2018 07:46PM
I'm not quite sure how AAPL would know if someone else had opened a phone.

Do the batteries have serial numbers on them?

Even if they do, the AAPL techs will not know this until they crack the case.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 18, 2018 11:20AM
They had it in the back for a while "running diagnostics". I have no idea what that involved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018