advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New iPhone XR in the house
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 17, 2018 01:58PM
After buying gifts for everyone else, this is my “Merry Christmas to me” gift. I ordered a black 128GB XR. The phone is sooo responsive! Nice screen! Just couldn’t justify the extra cost of the XS with more storage than 64GB.

My old iPhone 7+ served me very well for the last 2 years. Still in great shape! Initially, I thought about trading it in but I am going to give it to my youngest daughter as an upgrade from her iPhone SE. She will love it.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New iPhone XR in the house
Posted by: spacescape
Date: December 17, 2018 02:21PM
What's the advantage of the XS over the XR??? Looks like the XR does have a bigger screen.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 17, 2018 02:26PM
Nice. iPhone SE for sale!

I think the white and red look the best, with a clear case. Black is just... another smart phone...

Got my wife a Coral and my oldest a white BOGO a month or so ago. Oldest was using a 16 GB 6 and it was just a slug, prob cause it was alway full...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 17, 2018 02:32PM
spacescape
What's the advantage of the XS over the XR??? Looks like the XR does have a bigger screen.

Xs and XsMax are OLED super retina screens

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: robfilms
Date: December 17, 2018 02:42PM
xs has the dual cameras while the xr has the single lens.

i must admit that i am lusting after the xs portrait mode.

ymmv

thumbs up.

rob
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 17, 2018 03:10PM
XS has 4x4 MIMO antennae, XR has only 2x2, resulting in poorer (but not bad) data transfer speeds.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 17, 2018 03:12PM
Looks like the XR does have a bigger screen.

Nice, but not as nice as the XS

The XS has an OLED screen, 2436x1125, at 458ppi
The XR has an LCD screen, 1792x828, at 326 ppi

Also, the XS has a higher contrast ratio, 3D Touch, and can be had with more storage.

It's all a matter of preferences.

For me, the OLED screen and 3D Touch would be the draw, as would the (very slightly) smaller size of the XS.

But for the time being, I'm put off by the size and price.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 17, 2018 05:32PM
We got ours last week. A red XR 256GB for me and a gold XS Max 512GB for the wife. I like mine, but she isn't so sure about the FaceID thing. She prefers to just touch a button to open it up.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: December 17, 2018 06:55PM
Congrats there MacArtist on your new phone. I think the XR is the value in the lineup.

Bryan
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 17, 2018 07:21PM
DavidS
We got ours last week. A red XR 256GB for me and a gold XS Max 512GB for the wife. I like mine, but she isn't so sure about the FaceID thing. She prefers to just touch a button to open it up.

The FaceID is great for me! In the winter my finger tips tend to end be dry which leads to messing up the touch ID. Or if my fingers are wet it doesn't work. Face ID always works. Although it doesn't recognize me when I wear glasses.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 17, 2018 08:42PM
iPhone Leader.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: December 17, 2018 09:15PM
billb
spacescape

Is that like Wile E. Coyote - Soooooper Genius?
Posted by: billb
Date: December 17, 2018 11:25PM
Spiff
billb
spacescape

Is that like Wile E. Coyote - Soooooper Genius?

[www.apple.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 17, 2018 11:56PM
i L E A D E R !
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 18, 2018 01:40AM
DavidS

Huh? Face ID is both easier, faster, and much more reliable.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 18, 2018 02:43PM
Article Accelerator
DavidS

But is it? It's all in how you use the phone. I have to enter my passcode on my XS Max probably 10x more than I ever did with my iPhone 7 Plus. I tend to leave my phone on my desk next to me. If I need to unlock it to check a text or email, with Touch ID all I did was press a finger, but with Face ID, that angle doesn't work, so now I have to pick up the phone. Same thing in the car. Angle is all wrong from my phone mount which means I either have to move my head and look at the phone, or enter a passcode. With Touch ID, I can unlock without looking at the phone.

I had this conversation with a friend recently. He loves Face ID, it works better for him than Touch ID. I hate Face ID because it works worse for me than Touch ID.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 18, 2018 03:17PM
Gareth
Article Accelerator
DavidS

But is it? It's all in how you use the phone. I have to enter my passcode on my XS Max probably 10x more than I ever did with my iPhone 7 Plus. I tend to leave my phone on my desk next to me. If I need to unlock it to check a text or email, with Touch ID all I did was press a finger, but with Face ID, that angle doesn't work, so now I have to pick up the phone. Same thing in the car. Angle is all wrong from my phone mount which means I either have to move my head and look at the phone, or enter a passcode. With Touch ID, I can unlock without looking at the phone.

This is her exact issue with it. She keeps it on her nightstand and looks over at it when she gets a message. She does not want to have to lift it up and use Face ID. She'd rather just put her finger on it. I wonder if there are apps that can duplicate the functionality of TouchID on the screen.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 18, 2018 04:30PM
Good point about 'remote' unlocking, fellas.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 18, 2018 11:48PM
FaceID was massively improved in ios12
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018