The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
3D TV: 8-Years Ago The Forum Got It Right
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 19, 2018 11:35PM
Poll
Did you ever own a 3D Television?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
51 votes were received.
Hell No! 41

80%
Yes, I am a tech junkie and I need help. 3

6%
I won it in a Raffle/Promotion/Door Prize and couldn't unload it. 1

2%
Yes but I can explain. 6

12%

3D television poll Posted by: freeradical Date: July 12, 2010

73% voted "No, 3D television is just a gimmick."

Recent article on Lifewire confirms your votes...
3D TV Dies - Is it Really The End?

So now it's time to fess up:

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2018 11:36PM by MrNoBody.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 3D TV: 8-Years Ago The Forum Got It Right
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 20, 2018 12:07AM
The problem with this poll is that there were years when you couldn't buy a good TV without 3D. It was built-in whether you wanted it or not and only the low end cheap TV's were 2D-only.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 20, 2018 12:13AM
My Sony blu Ray player 2014 boasted 3D playback. Just replaced with Samsung.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 20, 2018 06:46AM
3D is to my TV as the touchbar is to my MBP. I couldn't get the one w/o the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 06:47AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 20, 2018 07:03AM
....what about the fourth dimension....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 20, 2018 07:49AM
Gareth
The problem with this poll is that there were years when you couldn't buy a good TV without 3D. It was built-in whether you wanted it or not and only the low end cheap TV's were 2D-only.

So you voted Yes but I can explain ?
I don't see this 'problem' because:
2012, bought a not so cheap HD Panasonic
2014, bought a not so cheap HD Vizio (last Vizio product I would ever buy)
and I remember looking @ some Sony HD Tvs that definitely were not cheap!
iirc, 3D sets were still available thru 2016.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 20, 2018 07:59AM
I have a dump plasma 2009 model and a movie (Polar Express BluRay) that comes with DVD, BluRay and a 3D disk (can’t recall if it is DVD or BR) and 4 pairs of colored glasses (one lens red, one blue). I know this is not what we discuss here BTW. Not even sure why I post. Anyway, kiss start watching the 3D version and after about 10-15 min they remove the glasses and watch without glasses, that double image... I am not sure how they don’t get a migraine. When I catch them I say put the glasses back or swap the disk to the 2D version.

Do these real 3D TV also have glasses, and what happens if you watch without the glasses?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 20, 2018 09:13AM
I'll bite. Though I wanted nothing to do with it, like Gareth said, the good TVs in 2010-2015 had it whether you wanted it or not. It was annoying to see all the marketing hype that went into it—especially when it was obvious people didn't care.

But this is where I'm guilty:

The fantastic plasma I purchased in 2014 came with 3D like-it-or-not, and it came bundled with 5 pairs of glasses. My Oppo BD player and AV Receiver were compatible as well. Thought I might as well try it if I could find some content. The 3D blu-ray of Polar Express was about $15 at Amazon, and we didn't own the movie, so I figured why not. If nothing else, the novelty would be worth it for one family movie night and we'd have the regular blu-ray version for our collection.

So what happened? We all enjoyed the experience. I'd never want to spend extra on equipment or content, but it was better than I expected—at least for that kind of animated movie. It was tough to do A/B comparisons when you have to switch tracks on the disc, but the "regular" 1080p version seemed—ahem—"flatter" in comparison. The glasses are a pain, but I'd be willing to seek out 3D occasionally if it were easy to come by.

BUT...

I rarely buy physical discs, and there was no 3D content to rent or stream anywhere. I don't know, maybe I didn't look hard enough, but it wasn't important enough for me to seek it out. The small selection of 3D discs that I did find were movies I didn't care to watch, and they were usually in special "deluxe" combo versions that were double the price of the standard BD. No thanks. No way. Nail in the coffin.

It would be fun to do another Polar Express family movie night, though. But only if those 4 year-old batteries are still good.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 20, 2018 09:28AM
A friend was all hyped for it -- upgraded to it when there was a local special re/TV with 3D enabled DVD player bundled -- and tried to get me on the bandwagon. I think they got bored with it after the first few months. When I asked about it the other day, he said he couldn't recall the last time they used the 3D option; he'd completely forgotten he had it.

Make it a good day today.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 20, 2018 09:53AM
datbeme
I'll bite. Though I wanted nothing to do with it, like Gareth said, the good TVs in 2010-2015 had it whether you wanted it or not. It was annoying to see all the marketing hype that went into it—especially when it was obvious people didn't care.

But this is where I'm guilty:

The fantastic plasma I purchased in 2014 came with 3D like-it-or-not,

This, except I got the plasma in 2013. I think we've watched 3D on it three or four times since then, tops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 12:06PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 20, 2018 10:35AM
Gareth,

Exactly. Wanted the higher quality sets? You had to buy the models with 3D, even if you never intended to use the feature. That's why I have a 3D model in my living room. Used the 3D feature a handful of times just for giggles but that's about it. And, even now, the picture quality is still phenomenal. So good that I have no interest whatsoever in replacing the TV despite the advent of the newer higher resolution models.

Robert
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 20, 2018 11:48AM
too bad they don't make Plasmas anymore. I heard Pioneer was the best, then Panasonic, Samsung, LG in no particular order (I think these were the only 4 makers of Plasma TVs). I should have bought a second, larger unit.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 20, 2018 12:07PM
space-time
too bad they don't make Plasmas anymore. I heard Pioneer was the best, then Panasonic, Samsung, LG in no particular order (I think these were the only 4 makers of Plasma TVs). I should have bought a second, larger unit.

Yep. I still wish I'd spent a couple hundred bucks more and gotten a 65" Panasonic instead of a 55" when they were being clearanced.

Still great sets. My 2005-vintage 50" Panny (you do not want to know how much it cost) is still going strong.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 20, 2018 12:13PM
I happened not to be in the market for a new TV when the best 2D image quality was found mostly on 3D-capable sets. Went from a 2007 low end LCD to a 2016 mid grade LCD, skipped the 3D stuff in the middle thanks to a long lasting (and still working) 47" 2007 Westy.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 20, 2018 12:24PM
I thought the reason 3D died was that nearly all OEMs chose the cheaper, passive approach (i.e. 1950s-style 3D) versus active-shutter 3D.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 20, 2018 12:27PM
I had (still have) a plasma that I used for it. I did purposely seek out the Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital versions when they were available (especially things like Disney releases) and have enjoyed them over the years.

3D will still be around, but you'll have to do with projectors now. Perhaps it will make a comeback on whatever variation of TVs will be in the future.

DirecTV did include a couple of 3D stations during that run (only for about a year or to before they pulled the plug), mostly sports (i.e. ESPN, etc.), and it was entertaining to view, then, that is for sure; however, now with cheap and easy VR capabilities, many companies and studios are leaning towards that for 'front row' seats to games and concerts.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 20, 2018 12:30PM
I'm waiting for the holodeck before I jump into 3d technology.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 20, 2018 01:07PM
I have the last plasma Best Buy sold - a terrific Samsung 1080P. I’ll keep it until it dies.

Main TV in our Great Room - the appleTV screensaver shots are amazing. I cannot imagine seeing that much more even on a 4K HDR OLED.

3D was obviously a gimmick. Best use will be with AR/VR.
Posted by: dk62
Date: December 20, 2018 01:10PM
I enjoy watching 3D movies and nature shows, and buy them whenever I can (even if it means ordering from abroad). I also specifically bought a projector for this purpose once they stopped making 3D TVs. I do not feel I need help, so voted in the "can explain" category rolleyes smiley
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: December 20, 2018 03:17PM
My projector is 3D and I really like watching the movies...when I can get them. It's hard to even find 3D movies at the rental joints anymore.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 20, 2018 06:36PM
I got a crazy good deal on a 42" LG 3D TV/BluRay player package years ago. It included 4 pairs of 3-D glasses but NO HDMI cable. The movie "Hugo" had a snow fall scene where I thought I could reach out at touch the snowflakes! 3-D was a fad and, there was not a lot of 3-D content. I enjoyed it while I had it (I gave it to a family member when I sold my house). Of course, it played "regular" BluRay and DVD programs too.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 20, 2018 08:59PM
I think 3D could have made it if they used it to broadcast sports. That's a real audience with lots of fool money to spend. Also, they could have put demo sets into sports bars. I believe that would have increased their chances enormously.

I was at a Madison Square Garden Rangers event and saw a demo of a hockey game from a ringside seat using VR. Nifty. (They'll probably blow that one, too.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 308
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018