advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
10 U.S. Airports Pilots Don’t Like Flying Into
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 21, 2018 12:07PM
As a companion to the thread below about cancelations, LGA makes the list again. It looks like pilots don't like legacy airports embedded in cities (SAN, DCA) or located below mountains. Who knew? I, for one, think the JNU take off is like a thrill ride.

Honeywell Aerospace did a survey of pilots about the airports they most disliked.

The top ten most difficult airports per Honeywell’s ranking are:

1. Aspen-Pitkin County Airport (Aspen, CO)
2. Laughlin/Bullhead International Airport (Bullhead City, AZ)
3. Bert Mooney Airport (Butte, MT)
4. Yellowstone Regional Airport (Cody, WY)
5. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (Washington D.C.)
6. Juneau International Airport (Juneau, AK)
7. LaGuardia Airport (Queens, NY)
8. Mammoth Yosemite Airport (Mammoth Lakes, CA)
9. San Diego International Airport (San Diego, CA)
10. Telluride Regional Airport (Telluride, CO)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 10 U.S. Airports Pilots Don’t Like Flying Into
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 21, 2018 12:16PM
....Pilot....Inspektor.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 21, 2018 12:20PM
I've been told that flying in/out of Juneau is terrifying for all involved. Taking off requires climbing over a significant mountain range almost immediately. Landing requires plummeting just passed the same mountain range.

[www.youtube.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 21, 2018 12:38PM
The twists and turns required for landing at National can be disconcerting for those of us who don't like being in a tube in the air. The others I'm not really familiar with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 12:38PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: maco
Date: December 21, 2018 12:52PM
WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU LAND AT TELLURIDE - King Air 90 - KTEX RWY 27
[youtu.be]
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 21, 2018 12:53PM
Dropping into Lindbergh Field at SAN is like landing in a shoebox. Most commercial pilots hate it because of the approach - and takeoff isn't much better because of all the noise abatement nonsense they have to follow - cutting thrust when they might need it most. Great place for an airport - minutes from downtown and most other places - but it's not ever getting any better. The opportunity to get Miramar from the gubmint and turn it into a true regional airport fizzled away. No one wants it at the border anymore, either. (which might be the only other logical relocation point)

So hang on when you come in to San Diego - and watch a pitch or two at Petco or see who's dining at Mr A's while you're landing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 12:54PM by bfd.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 21, 2018 01:55PM
mrbigstuff
The twists and turns required for landing at National can be disconcerting for those of us who don't like being in a tube in the air. The others I'm not really familiar with.

Agree, all that 'Restricted Airspace' is like a corn field maze.
ORF (Norfolk) is sort of like that for private aircraft but not the airlines as they have set approaches coming in mostly over the Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Just can't fly near Langley AFB, Norfolk NS, or Oceana NAS without preauth.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: tenders
Date: December 21, 2018 02:28PM
I enjoy reading the license plates on the cars on the top level of that parking garage while landing in San Diego.
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: December 21, 2018 02:34PM
It's all true about San Diego. Did you know the pilots union has lobbied many times to keep buildings along the flight path from getting roof-mounted solar panels. They're really worried about loosing those few feet between their wheels and the roofs.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 21, 2018 03:04PM
maco
[youtu.be]

Didnt look that bad?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 21, 2018 03:28PM
jdc
maco
[youtu.be]

Didnt look that bad?

Try it from the other direction ?
[www.youtube.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 21, 2018 03:42PM
The things about flying in/out of mountain airports is you have very few options to put her down if things go wrong and during bad weather the margins for flying 'out of tolerance' is a lot less. When things are good though, nothing beats the fun, challenge, views!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 21, 2018 07:12PM
bfd
Dropping into Lindbergh Field at SAN is like landing in a shoebox. Most commercial pilots hate it because of the approach - and takeoff isn't much better because of all the noise abatement nonsense they have to follow - cutting thrust when they might need it most. Great place for an airport - minutes from downtown and most other places - but it's not ever getting any better. The opportunity to get Miramar from the gubmint and turn it into a true regional airport fizzled away. No one wants it at the border anymore, either. (which might be the only other logical relocation point)

So hang on when you come in to San Diego - and watch a pitch or two at Petco or see who's dining at Mr A's while you're landing.

I can remember my ninth-grade Cali History & Geography teacher mentioning this in class forty years ago.

It is what it is.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 21, 2018 07:44PM
I've wondered how bad SAN is compared to other places. I haven't been to a ton of airports, but that one always struck me as difficult.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 21, 2018 08:29PM
I found Binghamton, NY to be very vertiginous...

And apparently taking off / landing in Tel Aviv is a wahooo!!! event because of rapid descent / ascent to reduce exposure to possible MANPAD attacks.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 22, 2018 04:42PM
Not a US airport, but I routinely fly into Toncontin International in Honduras - generally considered to be the second or third worse in the world.

One runway - 6,631 feet long (typical length is at least 8,000 ft)
There is a sharp drop at the end into a busy roadway
No radar, all approaches are visual
The approach is through a mountain pass and requires aircraft to descend in a circular pattern around the city (which sits in a valley).
Any inclement weather insures the airport will suspend operations
Pilots flying into Toncontin must receive recertification every six months.

In the 1980's, I was on an Eastern flight that aborted several times, they flew to San Pedro Sula instead - Those pilots got off the plane and a Honduran crew from Tan completed the flight.

But I've also been told by a friend who is a retired pilot, that you are safer flying into a dangerous airport because the crew is fully alert and expecting problems. Things are more relaxed going into "safer" airports - if some goes bad they may not be as ready to respond.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: December 24, 2018 12:06PM
I was kind of surprised that Bullhead AZ (IFP) was on the list. They built a new runway there years ago for “hoped for” increased airline use. I use to land smaller airplanes of all sizes there from the smallest C-152 on up to my twin Baron. The new runway was huge... the old runway not so much, it was mainly small planes, LOL.... that old runway has been closed for years once the new runway was built.

Surrounding terrain, in my opinion, would not be an issue for big airliners. So, I wonder what the issue would be, winds?? Runway is 8500’ long, about 2500’ longer than that of SNA Orange County John Wayne airport.

IFP - International Fun Place, Bullhead AZ Airport
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

IFP - International Fun Place... not sure if that is official or not. Or, if us pilots just coined that phrase to help remember the three letter identifier. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 12:46PM by SKYLANE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018