Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 21, 2018 02:15PM
Shocker…

[medium.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Using Google Maps costs more than you think
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 21, 2018 03:06PM
Somebody should make a mapping system that's adequately competitive with them. That doesn't currently exist.

I have an iPhone XS and a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and I had to put Google Maps on the iPhone. Do better Apple.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 21, 2018 03:25PM
vision63
Somebody should make a mapping system that's adequately competitive with them. That doesn't currently exist.

I have an iPhone XS and a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and I had to put Google Maps on the iPhone. Do better Apple.

I've never had a problem with Apple Maps. It could be a locality thing. Also, I like AM's turn-by-turn better.
Date: December 21, 2018 03:45PM
Article Accelerator
vision63

I've never had a problem with Apple Maps. It could be a locality thing. Also, I like AM's turn-by-turn better.

For example, You cant download maps offline (as far as ive tried). You can download your current trip but not an entire area. I live around lots of mountains and canyons where you can lose your signal for stretches.

Another problem is Siri is just not that good. The Google assistant nails your navigation request more consistently. I'd like for that to improve. The iPhone's face I'd is far superior, I'd even say somewhat magical. Even in the dark.
Posted by: max
Date: December 21, 2018 03:47PM
Anybody look at Mapquest lately?....
Date: December 21, 2018 03:57PM
max

I haven't. I will now. I also like the streetview aspect of G-Maps. It helps to see an image of where I'm going. The Bing maps has something similar. Wonder if Mapquest does.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 21, 2018 04:00PM
As an example, I happened to notice that TripAdvisor has recommended restaurants now. I searched my local area for non-fast food burger places. Half of the results were places I had never heard of when using Yelp.

It reminded me of the issues a good friend had with his Bed & Breakfast place. He had to develop new searches almost every month to come up with new ad-words to pay for. He briefly got in a bidding war with another B&B but calculated it eventually wasn't worth the money.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 21, 2018 04:22PM
Filliam H. Muffman
As an example, I happened to notice that TripAdvisor has recommended restaurants now. I searched my local area for non-fast food burger places. Half of the results were places I had never heard of when using Yelp.

It reminded me of the issues a good friend had with his Bed & Breakfast place. He had to develop new searches almost every month to come up with new ad-words to pay for. He briefly got in a bidding war with another B&B but calculated it eventually wasn't worth the money.

Dang. I guess that's business today.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 21, 2018 06:04PM
If you're talking about maps for an app or website, check out Leaflet loading tiles from MapBox or directly from OpenStreetMap.

If you're talking about personal navigation, try Here. I think the street map data is noticeable more accurate in North America and Europe, though I never have actually used turn-by-turn navigation.

And there's always maps.me, which is OSM data. That's what I use offline in countries where I don't have mobile service.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 21, 2018 06:21PM
Maps.me uses downloadable maps.
[gpspathfinder.com]

Download the maps on wifi ahead of time and then shut your data off if you're trying to conserve data or have no data or slow 2G someplace.

Maplets also has downloadable maps and has some bus/subway/biking and hiking maps that are somewhat unique.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 21, 2018 07:17PM
LOL

I am a recovering marketing and advertising executive on a mission to...
Date: December 22, 2018 03:37AM
freeradical
LOL

I am a recovering marketing and advertising executive on a mission to...

I just read that guys article. Yeah, LOL
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 22, 2018 09:00AM
max

Owned by Verizon now. If Google has great potential to be evil, think of your data in the hands of a company actively trying to be evil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020