advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Okay, next question: shaving
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 22, 2018 02:37PM
And I guess this will apply to men (and women) who shave with a razor rather than electric shaver. How to you keep hairs from clogging up the razor? Especially with the proliferation of multiple blade razors, hair seems to accumulate between the blades. Rinsing and shaking under running water doesn't cut it. Do you use a brush or something? I remember being impressed years ago with a cheap twin blade disposable razor (Bic, maybe?) that had a little button on the back behind the blade that would push out accumulated hair from the blade.

So, how do you deal with it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Okay, next question: shaving
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 22, 2018 02:47PM
Single blade man. The simple life.

Edit: in my younger days. I used hot water and soap. With the occasional old tooth brush.
I hear ultrasonic cleaners work well. With a coat of baby oil for rust prevention.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2018 02:51PM by Carm.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 22, 2018 02:59PM
Haven't shaved in a few months. Before that, I was a single blade user. Shaved just as well and much cheaper than these gimmicky multi blade razors.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 22, 2018 03:24PM
When shaving in the shower, I hold the (triple-blade) razor under the shower-head for a second and the stubble washes out. When shaving at the sink, I fill the sink part-way with water and swish my blade around in the water to clean it.

...It may be that you're using a thick shaving cream that's clogging the head. I've come across a few brands of shaving cream that had thick, sticky foam and left stubble stuck between the blades even after a brisk shake in the water. Not a problem since I switched to gel.

Posted by: fromish
Date: December 22, 2018 03:28PM
The best shaving advice I ever received was to rinse every two or three strokes of the razor. The fewer whiskers rinse out easily. Of course, if you have a 5 day growth from a camping trip, you might have to go the toothbrush route...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 22, 2018 03:32PM
....when you shave down there.....don't use electric razor......best to go old fashioned with scissors and comb.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: December 22, 2018 03:38PM
I remember being impressed years ago with a cheap twin blade disposable razor (Bic, maybe?) that had a little button on the back behind the blade that would push out accumulated hair from the blade.

Schick. Also, you may have a pretty heavy beard which would just cram the stubble in between the blades. I shave in the shower and I hate shaving so I shave with a downward stroke and leave it at that. Since the ladies seem to like the two day Don Johnson look (and how old is that now?) it makes shaving easy. A single blade razor needs an up stroke to get a smooth shave which gives me irritation.

But one tactical tiny company weird trick that I learned just a few years ago is to use hair conditioner as shaving "lotion". No friction and I think it might help you clean your razors better as the conditioner is very slick. When I turn the shower back on to rinse off, my blade comes clean easily.

Did I read here too about keeping your blades sharper longer by stroking them on denim (blade point down of course), ten strokes in one direction, then ten strokes in the opposite direction before every shave?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: December 22, 2018 03:41PM
Okay, it wasn't a Bic. It was a Schick. The ST2 (Slim Twin) that had the push button.

Date: December 22, 2018 03:48PM
Ha! You must have posted while I was searching, DP. Yes, it's the Schick. Actually, I don't have a heavy beard at all. I shave only twice a week. And in fact, I've just started growing a beard for the winter, so it'll be down to once a week just to clean up the upper cheeks and neck. And I've been using Shave Secret (highly recommended here) as a pre-shave lubricant. I like the shave of my Harry's blades, but I'm tempted to try a package of those Schick ST2 razors again.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 22, 2018 03:58PM
I still have a two or three year supply of blades for a Mach 3 that I got from a friend that worked at Gillette in Boston. I have 2 handles and one of them has to be pretty close to 20 years old now.

(only a portion of their products are actually made in Boston) despite some exaggerated claims made/inferred otherwise

Never had a problem with them clogging up.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: neophyte
Date: December 22, 2018 04:01PM
DP
... use hair conditioner as shaving "lotion". No friction and I think it might help you clean your razors better as the conditioner is very slick.

I use shampoo. Blades rinse clean, unlike with shaving cremes/gels/foams. If you shake off the blade after rinsing and stroke the blade backwards on a dry towel to dry the cutting edge, it will stay sharp longer.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 22, 2018 04:03PM
like others have said, rinse under running water every few strokes (the force of a shower is best), and use conditioner in place of shaving cream.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: jh
Date: December 22, 2018 04:06PM
Does not answer you question but:

Had a friend who when in the army his sarge made him dry shave one day for the obvious reason of not shaving as required. Said after he did his time he would grow a beard and never shave again--keeping the beard trimmed obviously. Still has it 35 years later.

I was not in the military but as soon I could I grew a beard over 35 years ago and have not shaved since except for the obvious beard trimming.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 22, 2018 04:24PM
Had a friend who when in the army his sarge made him dry shave

Only one day? Soft sergeant... In basic training, the whole company would have to dry shave when one troop didn't shave well enough. And surprisingly, that happened more than once!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2018 04:24PM by DP.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 22, 2018 04:27PM
jh
Had a friend who when in the army his sarge made him dry shave one day for the obvious reason of not shaving as required. Said after he did his time he would grow a beard and never shave again--keeping the beard trimmed obviously. Still has it 35 years later.

I last shaved Easter 1970.

Paul

Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 22, 2018 04:44PM
For me, it depends on the razor. I'm using Harry's now, which doesn't clog. Shaving in the shower hasn't been a problem, but at the sink, I'd run the razor under warm water every few strokes, then tap it blades-down on the side of the sink. Seems the extra mass from the water helped move the clog out.

Posted by: Drew
Date: December 22, 2018 04:58PM
Shave in the shower and use Cremo. Cremo changed my life, really!

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 22, 2018 05:28PM
Wurm,

My advice:

1. Don't allow whiskers to grow too long. Longer whiskers clog razors more easily.

2. Don't go overboard on shaving cream/gel/foam. Razors clog more easily if you use too much of it.

3. When shaving, use short strokes.

4. Rinse every stroke or two.

5. Clean the razor after shaving. If a multi-blade razor, use a towel, carefully. If a DE razor, loosen the top portion of the head a little or open the butterfly a little to allow more water to go through it. Only do this after shaving and/or if the head gets exceptionally clogged. Although it's a rarity, it can happen if you ignore instructions #1 to 4.

DE razors do not clog as easily as a multiblade model. If you're not using a DE razor, consider making the switch. You'll get a great shave and save bucks, too. If you want to get started, check out a starter kit from Maggard Razors.

[www.maggardrazors.com]

Maggard Razors produces DE razors that are _very_ similar to some of the better Edwin Jagger and Murker models and a basic kit that includes a complete razor, cream, brush, etc is very reasonable in price. You can customize the starter kit, too. I own a couple of razors and creme from Maggard. PM me if you want a recommendation for a good starter kit.

Robert
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 22, 2018 05:33PM
I used to like those Schick but last time I tried them they didn't seems as good as they used to be.

right now I use the COSTCO Gillete pack, I think it is 26 blades for $26, and I swap every 2 weeks. I shave daily, so the hair is short, and I rinse every 2-3 strokes.

keep it simple, don't stress over this.

I also tried the CREAMO (I think that's how it is spelled) and I do not see a huge advantage over NIVEA shaving foam. I will stick with NIVEA since it is easier to apply.
Date: December 22, 2018 05:41PM
....easiest to just get a brazilian........all over......

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 22, 2018 06:17PM
If you have enough room under the faucet spout, you can put in a spray/aerator nozzle. Just plug all but one or two spray holes and it will blast the hair out of the razor. In the past have seen these with a little lever to switch the flow, but I can't seem to find one at the moment.
[www.homedepot.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 22, 2018 06:34PM
.....don't forget the pits.......

Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 22, 2018 09:57PM
I used to shave with a twin blade razor. The handle is almost 30 years old. Just rinse every couple of strokes.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: December 22, 2018 10:43PM
All good suggestions, many of which I already do.

My Harry's blades do indeed clog, but maybe because I'm shaving less frequently and thus the hairs are a little longer. I rinse after every couple of strokes, specifically to help keep the blades clog-free, but I haven't tried the added tap against the sink. I'll give that a shot. I have no desire to go with a double-edge blade. Much too wide for my tastes. I like the slim head of the single or twin blade disposables. In fact, one of the few things I dislike about the Harry's blades is the size of the blade cartridge. I don't really even care about getting a super close shave. I'm just trying to avoid looking too scraggly.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 23, 2018 11:49AM
The funny thing is that I think I get a closer shave with my old twin blade (Gillette? Sensor, I think) than my nice Harry’s five-blades. Better under the nose too, I think. More prone to nick and cut tho, and my skin feels a little more “scraped” afterwards.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 23, 2018 12:27PM
The funny thing is that I think I get a closer shave with my old twin blade (Gillette? Sensor, I think) than my nice Harry’s five-blades.

I think that goes for any four or five blade razor.

The narrower two-blade blades handle contours much better.

I use Harry's and it's the best five blade I've tried. But there are three places on my face that it just doesn't get, that my Sensor does. But those blades are pricey so I use it sparingly.

Shaving everyday, my Harry's doesn't clog. Even shaving every three days, it doesn't clog. My money says thick creams or soaps are probably at fault. I only shave in the shower and a quick rinse does the trick.

I like both Harry's foam and gel, but I'm going to give Cremo a try as I'm a big fan of sandalwood scents.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 23, 2018 04:03PM
voodoopenguin
jh

I last shaved Easter 1970.

Paul

Last shaved my face in the Fall of 1978. Last time I used a shaver was in 2010, had to shave the hair on my belly around the temporary ostomy so the appliance would stick properly. Learned quickly to not use a cheap double blade razor.
Date: December 23, 2018 04:51PM
RAMd®d
[snip]
Shaving everyday, my Harry's doesn't clog. Even shaving every three days, it doesn't clog. My money says thick creams or soaps are probably at fault. I only shave in the shower and a quick rinse does the trick.

Well, as I said, I've been using Shave Secret, so thick creams or soaps aren't the issue in this case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018