The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody here not do Christmas?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 23, 2018 05:50PM
Poll
Have you given up on Christmas?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
44 votes were received.
Yes 12

27%
No 28

64%
Thinking about it 4

9%

For us, getting ready for Christmas gets more onerous every year. We don't have any strong religious attachment to the occasion, and with our kids grown the magic of Christmas is fading. Maybe some grandkids would help in that department, but we don't foresee that happening soon. I could see us not doing it in a few years, just having some sort of get together with family and friends, no arduous travels, no gifts, no tree. Who here has cut the cord?

Uhh, Merry Christmas, BTW.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody here not do Christmas?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 23, 2018 05:57PM
I'm still recovering from Thanksgiving when Xmas comes around.

Not gonna throw another feast or drive/fly 500 miles to camp out on a fold-out couch for a long weekend with the extended family when I just did that a month ago.

The long-standing Jewish tradition of Chinese takeout for Xmas should be choice #3 on the poll. It's the "happy medium" between giving up and keeping on with it. A nice warm family thing without the work.

Spread the cheer: No cooking, no cleaning, no debates more complicated than "who ordered the beef with broccoli?"

JEWISH CHRISTMAS FOR EVERYBODY, PAPER PLATES FOR ONE AND ALL!!

Posted by: rgG
Date: December 23, 2018 06:10PM
Oh that I could.
Stressmas. Bah Humbug.
The good thing about my birthday is it is the last day of Xmas and the whole damn holiday season is over for another year.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 23, 2018 06:48PM
It’s been a workday/week+ for me since 2006. And even if I were not working, I wouldn’t want to travel. Since my parents died, I haven’t had any reason to subject myself to the joys of holiday travel.

I do represent Sandy Claws to two dogs and a couple of kitties. Easy to shop for them. But being off the Gift-Giving Train to Crazyville is wonderful.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 23, 2018 07:12PM
Sarcany

The long-standing Jewish tradition of Chinese takeout for Xmas

No Jewish people I have ever known (nor myself) have gone out for 'Chinese food and a movie' on Christmas. Sounds like some weird ignorant joke from the 1920's or 1930's. Akin to Black folk sitting around spitting watermelon seeds on Frederick Douglass' birthday.

(I hope you have a good holiday.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 07:14PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 23, 2018 07:20PM
Funny how so many of us automatically associate Christmas with stress. It doesn’t have to be stressful if you ignore or downplay the great mechanical monster of consumerism it’s become.

My grandmother would tell us how happy she was to get a single orange for Christmas when she was a little girl in the late 1800’s. I recount this not to make anyone feel guilty, but to show how relative expectations are.

“Eenie meenie chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak.“ Bullwinkle

“Pessimism is a luxury of good times. In difficult times, it is a self-fulfilling, self-inflicted death sentence.” – Evelin Lindner (German psychologist, physician)

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Date: December 23, 2018 07:23PM
Steve G.
Sarcany

No Jewish people I have ever known (nor myself) have gone out for 'Chinese food and a movie' on Christmas. Sounds like some weird ignorant joke from the 1920's or 1930's. Akin to Black folk sitting around spitting watermelon seeds on Frederick Douglass' birthday.

I guess you never saw the SNL claymation short Christmastime for the Jews? grinning smiley
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 07:26PM by rgG.
Posted by: Frank
Date: December 23, 2018 07:37PM
We don't have family on Kauai and don't travel to the mainland when its cold. I did put up our fake tree and Laura really enjoyed decorating it. With her alzheimer's the decorated tree and packages beneath it are strong reminders and bring up lots of pleasant memories. Getting together with friends and exchanging small gifts at this time of year is a fun tradition but sending out cards and gifts to family is one tradition we don't participate in anymore.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 23, 2018 07:41PM
I didn't think Jews did take out Chinese, but I definitely know friends and some family (ethnically Jewish, but not religious) who go out to dinner on Christmas, usually Chinese, but whatever is open. (We do Korean dinner on Christmas evening, and we do celebrate the holiday without the religion.)

Posted by: DP
Date: December 23, 2018 08:08PM
Funny how so many of us automatically associate Christmas with stress. It doesn’t have to be stressful if you ignore or downplay the great mechanical monster of consumerism it’s become.

This. Although in my humble opinion Christians should make Easter the big celebration that Christmas is.

Nevertheless, I agree with Ammo. The true spirit of Christmas is not about the gifts you give or get. Isn't Christmas about love? We should celebrate that all year long then, right?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: December 23, 2018 08:14PM
rgG

I guess you never saw the SNL claymation short Christmastime for the Jews? grinning smiley
[m.youtube.com]
Exaggerated Jewish humor made by Jews for the amusement of Jewish people.
It's a satire on the Christian ethnic efforts to exclude others thereby making their own holiday 'more special'. (You might ask yourself why American Christians don't have the same self-serving tales about Muslims, Hindus and others on Christmas.)
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 23, 2018 08:16PM
2 words:

Serenity Now
smileys with beer

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 23, 2018 08:23PM
DP
in my humble opinion Christians should make Easter the big celebration that Christmas is.

But then we would associate Jews as the killers of the Son of God. Not Israelis, just Jews.

We just finished our Christmas shopping. Two PlayDoh things for the grandnephew and grandniece.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 23, 2018 08:30PM
No answer fits me. I said NO cuz my wife loves the holiday. Everything about it, the school plays, displays, Christmas lights, etc. We have "Bright Nights" one of the largest displays of its kind. Wifey wants to go every year, I look at it as, drive and hour, wait in line, look at the same light displays as last year. I try to have fun by counting how many bulbs are out. She loves having the whole family together, well daughter is 3 hours away to the north, son is 9 hours to the south. Hard to get them together.
Like I said in my post last week, I'll be happier mid Jan. when the tree is gone and the house is back to normal.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 23, 2018 08:41PM
Speedy
DP
in my humble opinion Christians should make Easter the big celebration that Christmas is.

But then we would associate Jews as the killers of the Son of God. Not Israelis, just Jews.

...Which is a relic of antisemitism rather than history -- biblical or otherwise.

As the Catholic church admitted (a few centuries late, as usual).

So far as the guilt of Jews in the death of our Saviour is concerned, the rejection of the Messiah by His own, is according to Scripture, a mystery—a mystery given us for our instruction, not for our self-exaltation. ... We cannot sit in judgement on the onetime leaders of Israel—God alone is their judge. Much less can we burden later generations of Jews with any burden of guilt for the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus, for the death of the Saviour of the world, except that universal guilt in which we all have a part. ... In clear and unmistakable language, we must deny, therefore, that the Jews are guilty of our Saviour's death. We must condemn especially those who seek to justify, as Christian deeds, discrimination, hatred and even persecution of Jews. ... I ask myself, Venerable Brothers, whether we should not humbly acknowledge before the whole world that, toward their Jewish brethren, Christians have all too often not shown themselves as true Christians, as faithful followers of Christ. How many [Jews] have suffered in our own time? How many died because Christians were indifferent and kept silent? ... If in recent years, not many Christian voices were raised against those injustices, at least let ours now be heard in humility.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 23, 2018 08:53PM
I am dragged along with family every year. I really have never cared in the least about Christmas - my mother said even as a child I wasn't interested.

But it isn't just Christmas, I am disinterested in all holidays equally.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 23, 2018 09:34PM
Not really. My son will get a stocking; that’s about the extent of it this year. Oh, snd I listen to Christmas music in the car.

I would not celebrate Christmas if it were just me. I’m not a Christian and I don’t care for the secular/commercial version of it.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 23, 2018 09:40PM
Christmas is cool. So is giving and getting gifts. So is listening and singing Christmas songs. Just enjoy.

Anytime people are being festive, preparing and enjoying feasts, we shall conclude that it's a good thing if it's in the spirit of togetherness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 09:43PM by vision63.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 23, 2018 10:53PM
We have a tree (just brought in and lights put on), and presents and dinner with any family around, just secular. Number Two Son Nathan is a Messianic Jewish Rabbi, so they observe both Hannukah and Christmas, so they'll be over. Last year they had the kids put on a little Nativity pageant.

Daughter Sarah and family will be up from Virginia (where we spent Thanksgiving) later in the week, for a few days while their boys are out of school. They will have had Christmas Day with her in-laws.

Number One Son Andy lives in Peru, is visiting wife's father in Chile, so they won't be here this year.

So it goes; the years vary.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: December 23, 2018 11:01PM
DP, thanks for posting the famous Earthrise photo from Apollo 8 in your signature:

This is of course the 50th anniversary of the first flight around the moon, in 1968.

I wrote about Apollo 8 on my blog back in 2014, "Merry Christmas—from The Moon!"
[walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

and again in a report on Robert Zimmerman's book on Apollo 8, "Follow Up: Genesis",
[walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

Yesterday on the annual Hillbilly at Harvard Christmas Extravaganza I played a 5-minute short feature about Apollo 8 and the reading of Genesis on Christmas Eve by Astronauts Lovell, Borman, and Anders:

[www.youtube.com]

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 23, 2018 11:09PM
my wife loves the holiday. Everything about it, the school plays, displays, Christmas lights, etc. We have "Bright Nights" one of the largest displays of its kind. Wifey wants to go every year... She loves having the whole family together

You wife sounds like a keeper!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Drew
Date: December 24, 2018 01:10AM
This year has been kind of "bah humbug" for me, probably because the kids are adults now, but don't yet have kids of their own. It seems like many Christmas things has just been annoying to me.

But then today I put on a Santa suit, and my wife and I surprised some little kids at their homes (of course with full knowledge of their parents). What a great experience to see the joy in their eyes. Almost as fun, seeing other kids' faces in the neighborhood who happened to see me as I walked from my car to the friends' house! We live in Japan, so it's not every day that you see a Santa walking around.

So, a Merry Christmas after all.
Posted by: mspace
Date: December 24, 2018 07:40AM
Unless there's a gig, no.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 24, 2018 08:08AM
DP, thanks for posting the famous Earthrise photo from Apollo 8 in your signature
This is of course the 50th anniversary of the first flight around the moon, in 1968.

YW. And of course that is why I posted it...

...Which is a relic of antisemitism rather than history -- biblical or otherwise.

As I recall, although I'd have to look up the verses, Scripture says that the Jews responsible were weak-minded men manipulated by Satan. So, ultimately it was the Devil who murdered Jesus. Also, the Romans left it up to the locals so that they were complicit in the deed. But we aren't anti-Romanists. Why is that? Just shows the stupidity of antisemitism.

But this is why I believe Easter should be celebrated like Christmas. Jesus needed to die so that the Resurrection could take place. So, in effect, Satan was manipulated to kill Jesus. And the Resurrection is the basis for Christianity, proving the power of God...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: December 24, 2018 08:32AM
Steve G.
Sarcany

My family is Catholic, so Christmas is a thing here. In spite of that, we have a tradition of getting Chinese take-out on Christmas Eve. We just really like Chinese food, don’t get it all the time (gets expensive) so it’s kind of a treat, and nobody has to pile preparing a special meal Christmas Eve on top of all the preparations for Christmas Day.

It doesn’t have to be a Jewish thing. Chinese is good.
Date: December 24, 2018 09:02AM
BernDog
It doesn’t have to be a Jewish thing. Chinese is good.

It's not a 'Jewish Thing'. It's Tuesday.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 24, 2018 09:05AM
We do full-on Christmas but on the low-key side of the spectrum. We attend Christmas Eve services and undertake the Christmas day pilgrimage to the extended family dinner back home, a 2-hour drive. That is just mainly the meal and a day of catching up, no pomp or circumstance and very limited gifting. We limit our immediate family gift-exchanging to modest amounts compared to what the norm seems to be, keeping to a budget and working from lists provided by the giftees.
Date: December 24, 2018 09:36AM
Let's take a look at the core fictions:

1) Jewish people are suddenly incapable of cooking their usual dinner at home because of a Christian holiday. Do you actually believe this?

2) Desperate (for some reason) to tag along with Christmas, Jewish people are driven out on the streets to celebrate an inverted version of the holiday. And so flatter Christians into thinking that Jews celebrate Christmas, though a perverse edition of it. (Nonetheless, they MUST want to observe Christmas, right?)

3) This incorporates and preserves the Christian view of Jewish people as subversively 'not a part of us'. The big payoff for this is historically at Easter when drunken peasants burn homes and murder Jews.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 09:42AM by Steve G..
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 24, 2018 10:12AM
take out Chinese or any Chinese for that matter, feh!
But as far as xmas din, I could NOT miss the duck or goose.
I resign myself to piggin' out from TG to Xmas.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 24, 2018 10:45AM
Steve G.
Sarcany

As a Jew from NYC (grew up in Queens, living on Long Island), I have both gone out for, and brought in Chinese food on Christmas Day many times. I've also gone to the movies most Christmas Days, and the theaters are packed. Many kippot (yarmulkes) are to be seen at the movies.

I believe that the genesis (get it?) of this tradition was that just about the only places open on Christmas (and Easter, for that matter) used to be Chinese restaurants and movie theaters, at least in my experience. Times have changed, and a lot more is open now.

(As an aside, I lived in Los Angeles in the mid 80s - early 90s. When my wife and I bought a house in the San Fernando Valley (in LA), we were driving down Ventura Boulevard one Sunday, and everything was closed. We looked at each other, wondering what was going on, and if we had made a mistake in our housing choice, until we realized it was Easter Sunday.)

I guess Jewish delis may have been open when I was younger, but I don't remember that being the case. I surmise that all the Jewish deli owners gave their workers off, and were at Chinese restaurants and movies, too.

By the way, I prefer seedless watermelon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 10:46AM by Cary.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 24, 2018 11:11AM
....what Cary said above.....at one point only Chinese places would be open on holidays.....a lot of people would go to Chinatown on Christmas day for food and shopping........now it is much more common for 'regular' places to open on the day of holidays......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 24, 2018 11:15AM
Steve G.
Let's take a look at the core fictions:

1) Jewish people are suddenly incapable of cooking their usual dinner at home because of a Christian holiday. Do you actually believe this?

2) Desperate (for some reason) to tag along with Christmas, Jewish people are driven out on the streets to celebrate an inverted version of the holiday. And so flatter Christians into thinking that Jews celebrate Christmas, though a perverse edition of it. (Nonetheless, they MUST want to observe Christmas, right?)

3) This incorporates and preserves the Christian view of Jewish people as subversively 'not a part of us'. The big payoff for this is historically at Easter when drunken peasants burn homes and murder Jews.

When we first got married I floated the idea of not having a Xmas tree. My Jewish husband was having no part of it. He insisted we put up a tree, as his mom and dad, who are both Jewish, had always had a small tree, for what reason I don’t know. For some reason, they never celebrated Hannukah. Passover was always the BIG holiday with his family. To each his own. Our family view is we will celebrate any holiday that involves good food and or presents.

Posted by: davester
Date: December 24, 2018 11:39AM
I think there's a whole spectrum of "doing christmas". My religious relatives go the whole nine yards with shopping, church services, mangers, frankincense and all the christian mythology. I'm an atheist so that all seems like silliness to me. I instead celebrate the non-christian parts of the season, most importantly the passing of the winter solstice and the heading of the planet back to the sunny side of the sun (at least for the northern hemisphere). We celebrate that every year with a big solstice party (including a solstice quiz night). We also celebrate with pre-christian pagan traditions such as a "christmas" tree and mistletoe. As far as the mega-commercialized christmas nightmare, forget it! We do some low key gift-giving, but none of this high-pressure must-get-an-extravagant-consumer-item craziness.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 11:39AM by davester.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 24, 2018 12:33PM
Coincidentally, this pic was on my Facebook feed with this caption:

"1960s

A New York City Christmas tradition originating from the 1890s, Jewish New Yorkers are seen eating Chinese food at Bernstein's on Essex (135 Essex) cooked according to kosher food preparation rules.

Restaurants open on Christmas Day in Chinatown being in close proximity to LES likely started the tradition with Chinese cuisine not mixing meat with dairy. A movie got bundled together with Chinese food as part of Christmas tradition in later decades.

Photo from Bettmann Archives."

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: December 24, 2018 12:37PM
Kosher Chinese (or anything else) is hard to find around here. There's a kosher Chinese restaurant in Brookline (MA), but that's the only one I've heard of.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
for Drew & other Japanese Santas
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: December 24, 2018 02:00PM
Drew, your Santa appearance reminded me of this little story recently featured in the British Museum "Curator's Corner" series. Not being well acquainted with Japanese manga, I was surprised to learn that there are quite a few stories featuring Jesus and Buddha, as well as many other subjects. I found this oddly enjoyable!
[youtu.be]
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 24, 2018 02:14PM
RAMd®d
my wife loves the holiday. Everything about it, the school plays, displays, Christmas lights, etc. We have "Bright Nights" one of the largest displays of its kind. Wifey wants to go every year... She loves having the whole family together

You wife sounds like a keeper!

Yes I agree

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 24, 2018 03:22PM
Steve,

Back in the 70s and early '80s, on Christmas Eve, my family ate Chinese food at Ho Wing in Little Neck, NY, and then saw a movie at the local theater. Christmas Day, we'd go to my best friend's house for Christmas dinner. We didn't do Chinese food and a movie every year but definitely enough times that I remember it distinctly. Many other Jewish families enjoyed Chinese food on Christmas, too. Feel free to continue calling it a fiction. It's okay to be wrong. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2018 09:31AM by Robert M.
Date: December 24, 2018 03:52PM
CJsNvrUrly
Coincidentally, this pic was on my Facebook feed with this caption:

"1960s

A New York City Christmas tradition originating from the 1890s, Jewish New Yorkers are seen eating Chinese food at Bernstein's on Essex (135 Essex) cooked according to kosher food preparation rules.

Restaurants open on Christmas Day in Chinatown being in close proximity to LES likely started the tradition with Chinese cuisine not mixing meat with dairy. A movie got bundled together with Chinese food as part of Christmas tradition in later decades.

Photo from Bettmann Archives."

That picture reminds me of Singer's Deli in Liberty, NY, in the Catskills. It was a kosher-style Jewish deli/Chinese restaurant that had the best wonton soup I've ever had, and was known for the corned beef, as well as their roast pork on garlic bread sandwiches.I

Thanks for sharing it!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 24, 2018 03:54PM
Great thread!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 24, 2018 04:33PM
Cary

That picture reminds me of Singer's Deli in Liberty, NY, in the Catskills. It was a kosher-style Jewish deli/Chinese restaurant that had the best wonton soup I've ever had, and was known for the corned beef, as well as their roast pork on garlic bread sandwiches.I

Thanks for sharing it!

Roast pork? "Kosher-style" clearly doesn't mean 'kosher'.

/Mr Lynn
Date: December 24, 2018 04:40PM
Most definitely not kosher!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 25, 2018 01:06AM
My brother and I have nowhere to be this Christmas, by choice btw, so his employer is taking us to a Chinese buffet. I am calling it our "A Christmas Story" Christmas, because there's no movie involved.

Date: December 25, 2018 06:52AM
Merry Christmas, $tevie! smileys with beer

I appreciate seeing Pogo, Albert, and Beauregard in your signature.

"The very air was blued."

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 25, 2018 12:10PM
mrlynn
Merry Christmas, $tevie! smileys with beer

I appreciate seeing Pogo, Albert, and Beauregard in your signature.

"The very air was blued."

/Mr Lynn
Thank you, Mr Lynn, and a very Merry Christmas to you!

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 25, 2018 09:18PM
We haven't given up on Christmas. Christmas will never be what it was like before losing our youngest son but we keep plugging along. This year my wife and I decided on no gift giving because there's no material things we really need. Had some friends and a family member over for Christmas lunch and went to my brothers for Christmas dinner.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018