advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
CPAP breaks - worse possible timing, of course
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 24, 2018 04:58AM
My CPAP mask broke this morning at 3am. The retainer for the nasal cushion of my Responics Dreamware won't stay in place. repairing means getting a plastic part to stick to silicone - that makes glueing it back together difficult as most glues will not work on silicone. The only thing Lowes shows is either Loctite or Gorilla Glue Silicone adhesive. That is usually used to glue glass together, I'm not sure if it will bond silicone to silicone, or if there will be fumes best not blown directly up me nose.

Being Christmas Eve and all means the earliest a replacement will get here is Friday.

So no restful sleep this week.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CPAP breaks - worse possible timing, of course
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: December 24, 2018 06:33AM
My CPAP forum actually helps each other out big time in these situations... Getting a new mask, or parts, isn't out of the question. I know I'd lend or give you whatever I have (I think I only have a M cushion for Dreamwear) but I know you aren't near New England. Your local DME might be open, too. Craigslist is even worth a try.

Or, any chance of a physical repair like winding coated wire around two parts? Good luck!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 24, 2018 07:30AM
Won’t help you this week, but my dad switched from CPAP to a bridge-like thing he puts in his mouth at night. Sounds odd but does exactly what it should: unrestricted passageway for air and no his mouth isn’t open all night. Ask your doc?

Nothing to break, no mask/tube/air thing. “It just works.”
Posted by: billb
Date: December 24, 2018 07:38AM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 24, 2018 07:57AM
For some including me, mouth guard type solutions don't do enough. I also have central apnea. I know there are people who do well with them, but it's nice that the new machines essentially do a mini sleep study each night.

I always have a large stash of spare masks and parts-even a spare machine.
Date: December 24, 2018 08:21AM
Recipefordisaster -- the medium cushion is exactly what I need, wish I was closer than east Tennessee. I do have spares (including a machine) all in my closet - in Florida - 700 miles away. Like I said perfect timing. Nearest one on Craigslist is south of Knoxville, about 60 miles.

I think I'll try the Loctite silicon adhesive (it's food grade, so that is reassuring). Nothing ventured, and all that.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
Posted by: BernDog
Date: December 24, 2018 08:22AM
No help on the adhesive front, but between your predicament and Recipe’s comment, you’ve inspired me to get some spare parts to have around. Always kind of thought I should, but now I will.
Date: December 24, 2018 08:24AM
Once in a while you'll find that your nose needs a change, or it doesn't work, so it's nice to have a different mask to go to altogether. Two of us using CPAP means I have many backup masks of several different styles. I'd lend someone any of my goodies.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 24, 2018 10:42AM
Needed and thread. Maybe a little fabric to keep the threads from pulling through the rubber.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: December 24, 2018 11:21AM
Be careful what you use for repair as you may be breathing it ... I am sure you thought that part through.

I am on my third CPAP device, I keep the previous one in case of problems like this. I have kept a previous mask set that uses my same cushions as well. So, even that thought doesn’t help now, thinking about spares ahead helps.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 24, 2018 11:49AM
I too have a backup machine. I tend to “over extend the life” of my mask and nose piece. So I have two extra of each. Headgear, nose piece and hose.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 24, 2018 12:01PM
You should be able to get a small tube of 100% silicone adhesive, preferably Aquarium safe. I’m sure my local Lowe’s carries at least one variety of it; most caulk brands offer it. It’ll say Aqurium Safe right on the package.

It may call itself sealant or caulk or something other than adhesive but it’s all the same. It’s what glues together panes of glass to make an aquarium. Being made of silicone it should adhere to silicone.

A little dab of sugru would work too.
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 24, 2018 12:23PM
My main CPAP, a ResMed A10, started wheezing a few weeks ago. I think it's the motor, which is an assembly sealed in clear plastic, so can't be repaired or cleaned out. Everything looks OK inside the housing, but the machine sounds like it has a bit of paper stuck in a blade, with the wheezing sound varying as I breathe. Not conducive to sleep.

Switched to my backup, a ResMed S9. It's actually a quieter machine, but a little less convenient for travel, and doesn't report via cellular.

My doctor's office told me the insurance companies expect you to get 5 years out of a machine. I think I used my first one for 14 years. The A10 is only a couple of years old. Will have to see if I can get a motor for it. The doctor's office said insurance doesn't cover repairs . . .

One time on a trip I forgot the cord for my first machine. Luckily it had an internal power supply, and used the same kind of cord commonly found on computers, monitors, fax machines, TVs, etc., so it was easy to get a replacement.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 12:25PM by Winston.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 24, 2018 12:24PM
I know this doesn’t help you for tonight but I have received supplies very quickly thru [www.respshop.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 24, 2018 12:24PM
Mike Johnson
You should be able to get a small tube of 100% silicone adhesive, preferably Aquarium safe. I’m sure my local Lowe’s carries at least one variety of it; most caulk brands offer it. It’ll say Aqurium Safe right on the package.

It may call itself sealant or caulk or something other than adhesive but it’s all the same. It’s what glues together panes of glass to make an aquarium. Being made of silicone it should adhere to silicone.

why Aquarium safe? What makes this suitable for human breathing?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 24, 2018 02:19PM
space-time
Mike Johnson

Eventually we'll all be swimmin' with da fishes anyway, so it kinda makes cents... ya no, kinda like a head start... since the CPAP attaches to da head.
==
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 24, 2018 02:44PM
space-time
Mike Johnson

Well, it's what silicone breathing masks are made of, and nasal cannulae, as well as silicone tubing used for supplying air/oxygen. It's what you bite one with a snorkel.

Many silicone sealants have benzene or antimicrobial or antifungal additives. The aquarium safe stuff is just silica, distillates, and acetic acid. In other words, silica, something not unlike baby oil, and vinegar. It will offgas vinegar fumes until it cures but a small amount should offgas very little and cure quickly.

The non-aquarium safe stuff kills fish. For a cpap mask, I would use it in a pinch but only for a few days.
Date: December 24, 2018 04:07PM
My Airsense 10 is only a few years old and has the same variable wheeze. It seems to be common which is aggravating. I can't sleep with the noise, so I got a like new one on Craigslist for less than my copay would be using insurance... my other half uses the old one, which was an upgrade for his S8. That one is about 18 years old and doing fine, but not automatic with no bells and whistles. The sound doesn't bother him, but I need a loud air purifier running to be able to tolerate it even on the other side of the bed.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 24, 2018 08:07PM
And, my mom just informed me that she forgot the power supply to her portable CPAP. sad smiley
I hope she will be able to sleep ok tonight. She is supposed to stay two nights, but if she needs to go home tomorrow I told her we could take her.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: December 24, 2018 08:09PM
So everyone knows for future reference - The silicone did not adhere to the silicone at all.

the inserts that hold the nose cushion to the mask came loose, so it won't stay together It doesn't really show, but the cushion is the part inside the orange box, it snaps into the frame which is outside the box.

Posted by: rgG
Date: December 24, 2018 08:33PM
Could wrap some sort of tape around it?
I can’t really see where the break is. I have found band aids to stick to things that other tape won’t. Just cut off the sticky ends and throw the pad away.
I’ll bet a hydrocolodial type of band aid, like they use for blisters, would stick really well

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018