advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
External USB non powered drive getting ejected
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 24, 2018 12:40PM
I have a 1 TB external USB drive, that seems to loose connection to the MacBook Pro. I did just have the top of the MacBook replaced, when they did the Keyboard so I assume that has nothing to do with it.

Do you think that the USB port, or the usb cable that goes into the MacBook, may be less than optimal?

Has anyone else experienced Ejected HD, when you just move it a little.?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: External USB non powered drive getting ejected
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 24, 2018 12:54PM
what OS?

I think OS Mavericks and later have issues like these, didn't happen in Snow Leopard.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 24, 2018 01:24PM
What space-time said. But it sounds more like a bad cable, since the improper disk ejection bug is related to system sleep.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 24, 2018 02:23PM
Ka,

The ejection bug can happen anytime and isn’t necessarily related to sleep. i can vouch for this from experience plon multiple machines amd iterations of the os. Apple should’ve squashed this bug a long time ago. Been an issue for more than a decade.

Robert
Posted by: hal
Date: December 24, 2018 03:04PM
I have never had any kind of ejection bug and I have been running a mac with TB and USB externals for YEARS. I'm thinking that this is nothing to do with the os and everything to do with power supply or the SATA>USB bridge in the external cases.

But I HAVE had a bug where my mac sometimes refuses to wake if it runs a Time machine backup while sleeping. I've shut down the automatic aspect of TM and just run it manually every few days or so. No problems at all now. Both on 10.11.6 and 10.14.2 that I recently switched to.
Date: December 24, 2018 03:30PM
Hal,

Nope. It's a confirmed bug. Ask OWC about it. Doesn't just affect USB drives. Happened with firewire drives, too.

Robert
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 24, 2018 04:49PM
Robert M
=Been an issue for more than a decade.

That's not possible, Robert. Everything" just worked"™ when Jobs was there.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 24, 2018 04:51PM
Robert M
Hal,

Nope. It's a confirmed bug. Ask OWC about it. Doesn't just affect USB drives. Happened with firewire drives, too.

Robert

I've been searching everywhere and I can't find any mention of a confirmed bug that causes drives to randomly eject. Just LOTS of people talking about THEIR drive disappearing, but these complaints go back to the beginning of time.

Was there a specific OWC blog post about it?
Date: December 24, 2018 05:34PM
Hal,

i had issues with several owc enclosures non-owc enclosures and an owc t-bolt dock. As a part of my troubleshooting, I spoke to owc tech support and they mentioned the bug in OS X.

Robert
Date: December 24, 2018 08:26PM
I only saw the improper disk ejection issue when waking the system from sleep, or when there was a bad cable involved. These days I shut down anything that is not in use. So when disk ejection occurs on an active system, it has turned out to be a cable problem.

What makes me see the sleep ejection as an OS issue is that I was seeing it on my Mac Pro with every OS except Snow Leopard. Identical hardware, different result depending on the OS. I don’t recall whether I ever saw it with Mountain Lion, but it’s been ages since that OS was in regular use on the Mac Pro. Mavs or later, yes.

Some cables have connectors that aren’t a tight enough fit. Good to have spares handy.

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 24, 2018 11:13PM
My external drive has started ejecting randomly in the last six weeks. No change to OS or cabling that I can think of. The drives then don't show up in Mountain to remount, either. Only unplugging and replugging the USB cable causes them to again show up in the Finder, somewhat slowly.
Date: December 25, 2018 09:14AM
Mr Downtown
My external drive has started ejecting randomly in the last six weeks. No change to OS or cabling that I can think of. The drives then don't show up in Mountain to remount, either. Only unplugging and replugging the USB cable causes them to again show up in the Finder, somewhat slowly.

Sounds like a hardware issue, either the cable or the enclosure, or possibly some problem with the drive itself. What brand of drive? Some externals from the likes of Seagate etc. use the minimum quality enclosure that they can get away with.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 26, 2018 08:18AM
....so similar to a spouse....who has a 'headache'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018