advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FWIW... A new use for a CPAP machine... Helps with acute asthma attacks
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 26, 2018 12:52PM
Saturday I had an incident where I aspirated some food debris into my lungs. Not fun. So I used my nebulizer with warm mildly salted water to breathe a whole hunka steam into the lungs to cough up as much as I could. That helped, but I'm still coughing and wheezing, and pulse ox dropped to 92. And I suddenly thought... hmm.. forcing filtered humifidified air INTO my lungs might help?

Since then I've been using my CPAP machine about 18 hours a day with the humidity on high to force air into my lungs and help me stay functional. It's goofy looking and feels weird, but it helps. PO averages around 96 (98 is my normal), so it's definitely helping.

And yes, I'm going to the doc in about an hour, probably for a course of steroids to help me beat an incipient case of pneumonia.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FWIW... A new use for a CPAP machine... Helps with acute asthma attacks
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 26, 2018 01:33PM
C - how does your asthma factor into this situation?

“Eenie meenie chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak.“ Bullwinkle

“Pessimism is a luxury of good times. In difficult times, it is a self-fulfilling, self-inflicted death sentence.” – Evelin Lindner (German psychologist, physician)

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 26, 2018 11:15PM
Ammo- irritation of the bronchioles starts an asthmatic attack. Continued irritation keeps it running. The steroids shut down the immune response.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: December 27, 2018 06:07AM
I've found that it helps my asthma just by usnig it nightly. Glad it helped
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018