advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who Makes a Decent Toaster?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 26, 2018 12:55PM
My 25+ year old Oster toaster is on its last legs, so I am starting to look for a replacement. With the post-holiday sales coming up, who makes a good model of wide slot toaster these days? Any recent discussions here have all been about toaster ovens, not what I am looking for.

I am just looking for a relatively basic two slot toaster that will handle bagels and bread slices well. Looking for even toasting and consistent ending of the toasting.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who Makes a Decent Toaster?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 26, 2018 01:28PM
That's a big ask.

Have gone through ~3 in the last 10 years. Most recently a Cuisinart 4-slice which was the least awful of the bunch (but probably not nearly as good as your dying 25 yr-old Oster).

We got an emergency toaster oven when our $$$ range crapped out, and we won't be going back to a regular toaster any time soon.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 26, 2018 02:15PM
Wife and I were given a Hello Kitty toaster 14 years ago. Still working.

[www.ebay.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 26, 2018 02:18PM
I recently researched this, and ended up buying the Cuisinart CPT-122. It works well, and I bought it on eBay for ~$23 shipped. Recommended.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 26, 2018 02:18PM
Modern toasters are less than great - you might consider looking into getting your current toaster repaired/revitalized.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 26, 2018 02:21PM
....at any occasion or specifically at weddings......??

....usually someone who isn't overly nervous and someone who preferably is funny will make the best toasts......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: December 26, 2018 02:32PM
I bought a 30 year old toaster at a garage sale 20 years ago and it's going strong! Find something old.
Date: December 26, 2018 02:33PM
....so do the opposite of what some guys do when looking for wife......go older, not younger......??

Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 26, 2018 02:48PM
I find high-end kitchen small appliances at a Goodwill store in a ritzy part of town. If you have one, go there.

Posted by: robfilms
Date: December 26, 2018 03:11PM
i am sure there is a lovely person in some rural factory deep within china.

that's who made my toaster.

thumbs up.

rob
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 26, 2018 03:32PM
As others have noted, an old refurbished one might be right or 'refurb' the one you already have.
An alternative would be to find a used/refurbed commercial toaster.
KitchenAid & Waring make good ones.
Here's one 'review site'.

robfilms
i am sure there is a lovely person in some rural factory deep within china.
that's who made my toaster.

thumbs up.
rob
Lovely person who formerly made the (over abundant) Type 56 rifles but not skilled enough to assemble the newer QBZ-95-1 for the PLA (or SUVs for GM)!
I kid... thumbsup smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 26, 2018 03:49PM
25-30 years ago I was given what proclaimed itself to be a "Wide Slot" toaster, either an Oster or a Sunbeam. Worked fine, no complaints, then it stopped working. Seeing how cheap new basic toasters were, I tossed the old one and bought a new one, this time a Waring, also of the "Wide Slot" variety. What a difference in slot size! The slots on the Waring are freakin' huge, to the point that with regular slices of bread inside, the cabinet over the toaster gets heated up a lot more effectively than the bread inside the toaster. I hate that thing and wish I'd never bought it. I'd have returned it but I didn't use it until after the 90 days was up because I don't regularly make toast.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get a regular toaster with narrow, standard-slice-of-bread-sized slots for normal toasting duties and get a proper toaster oven for bagels and other huge hunks of bread.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 26, 2018 03:59PM
Are they finally making toaster-ovens that can actually toast bread? On both sides? My wife has sworn off them because in the past ours never seemed to get that function right, and we didn't use it as an oven often enough to justify the counter space. We have used a regular toaster for the past many hears, but I'd be willing to try a toaster-oven again if I thought they'd works.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 26, 2018 05:00PM
After Dark
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 26, 2018 05:38PM
Joe,

Are you talking plain ol' popup toaster or toaster oven. If popup, I can vouch for the Oster Jellybean series:

[www.amazon.com]

Wirecutter recommends a compact Cuisinart model:

[thewirecutter.com]

If toaster oven, then look at one of the Breville Smart Ovens or this one from Cuisinart:

[www.wayfair.com]

My parents, brothers and I all have the Breville Smart Oven model, #BOV800XL. Love it! Worth every penny! The Cuisinart is also _really_ good, too. Both are rock solid, awesome for toast and real cooking.

Robert
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 26, 2018 06:20PM
Geez, I went through this a few years ago. The big box store had like 30 different models when I started my search, and they were all junk! Cheap parts, uneven toasting, it was disheartening seeing so much fail in a common household item that was cheapened so much they are barely usable.

I tried three different models before finding one that was somewhat acceptable. Nothing like the old "built like a tank" models of my youth. A sad commentary of our country. sad smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 26, 2018 06:32PM
I haven't found a 2 slot yet (like the 20yo that died a decade back) that can toast my home made multigrain any shade of dark at all. More like bread warmers.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Date: December 26, 2018 07:44PM
....they have 4 slot an 6 slot ones now......

Posted by: testcase
Date: December 26, 2018 08:15PM
I recently bought a Farberware Convection/Toaster Oven/Air Fryer at Walmart for ~ $70. So far, I've only used the toaster and air fryer functions but, I am VERY happy with it.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 27, 2018 12:03AM
Will Collier
After Dark

Ha ha,

Date: December 27, 2018 06:36AM
Robert M
Joe,

Are you talking plain ol' popup toaster or toaster oven. If popup, I can vouch for the Oster Jellybean series:

[www.amazon.com]

Wirecutter recommends a compact Cuisinart model:

[thewirecutter.com]

If toaster oven, then look at one of the Breville Smart Ovens or this one from Cuisinart:

[www.wayfair.com]

My parents, brothers and I all have the Breville Smart Oven model, #BOV800XL. Love it! Worth every penny! The Cuisinart is also _really_ good, too. Both are rock solid, awesome for toast and real cooking.

Robert

That Wirecutter-recommended Cuisinart model is the one I got. Works well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 06:36AM by Cary.
Date: December 27, 2018 06:36AM
Duplicate post in error - sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 06:37AM by Cary.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 27, 2018 02:09PM
Had a call that took me away from the forum for a bit, so did not get to reply earlier to some comments here.

Appreciate the suggestions so far. Definitely looking for a two slot popup toaster, not a toaster oven due to space issues. Not looking for more slots as it will be just for myself and one son who lives with me.

I would repair my current toaster, but the lifting mechanism has bent and twisted. It did this before, straightening it out this time will definitely cause it to break at a crack I see in the metal.
Date: December 27, 2018 02:16PM
.....then a yard sale is probably a good place to look.....you will find something 'old'/sturdy and cheap.........

Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 27, 2018 09:36PM
I have a Warning toaster that gives the full impression that it will be handed down to my offspring. Its a simple two slot but with metal construction. Cost me about $40.

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: December 30, 2018 11:50PM
Have an older all stainless Hamilton Beach 4 slot that’s nearly bulletproof - $7 at thrift store
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 299
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018