advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
mashed tomatoes?!.....the new Will Ferrell movie 'Holmes & Watson' gets rare 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 27, 2018 08:11AM
....really bad.....the trailer looked bad and Will Ferrell's movies have been bad.....

'Holmes & Watson' Currently Sits at Rare Zero Percent Rotten Tomatoes Score

....The John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell team-up was not screened in advance for critics, so subsequent reviews will likely be added that may affect the score.

Holmes & Watson — the latest team-up from Step Brothers duo John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell — has earned a rare (albeit, likely unwelcome) feat.

The movie currently sits at a zero percent on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, as of 8 a.m. PT with 12 reviews accounted for. (The movie was not screened in advance for critics, so subsequent reviews will likely be added that may affect the score.)

Reilly and Ferrell parody Arthur Conan Doyle's famous detectives, leading a cast that includes Kelly Macdonald, Rebecca Hall and Ralph Fiennes.

The Hollywood Reporter's critic Frank Scheck wrote of the holiday comedy that released Dec. 25: "Numerous talented British thespians are wasted in supporting roles in this Christmas turkey that, not surprisingly, wasn't screened in advance for critics. Although making them troop out to theaters Christmas morning is something of which even Ebenezer Scrooge wouldn't have approved."

The movie opened at a crowded Christmas Day box office, placing No. 4 behind Aquaman, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins Returns, and earning $6.4 million.

As 2018 comes to a close, two other films released this year earned zero percent fanfare: The Amber Heard-starring mystery adaptation London Fields and John Travolta's Gotti, the biopic about the late mobster John Gotti.

don't pay for ticket......waste of money......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 08:18AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: mashed tomatoes?!.....the new Will Ferrell movie 'Holmes & Watson' gets rare 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.....
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 27, 2018 08:22AM
Wow, that seems to affirm some jock on our local sports radio station saying he walked out of the movie after 15 minutes....it really is that bad huh?
Re: mashed tomatoes?!.....the new Will Ferrell movie 'Holmes & Watson' gets rare 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.....
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 27, 2018 08:32AM
Newt,

Just 0%? Wow! I expected Rotten Tomatoes to give them a negative percentage. You know, one of those movies that kills brain cells.

Robert
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 27, 2018 09:05AM
Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregator; they don't 'give' any percentages per se.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 27, 2018 09:41AM
with Will Ferrell, is that a surprise? Hasn't he just been the same since SNL?
He ain't no Kate KcKinnon

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 27, 2018 09:54AM
Will Ferrell is the classic recent SNL actor, where he had funny bits on the show, that were probably attributable to the staff writers. Once on his own, he doesn't really have any funny material. Witness his appearances on any talk show.

Talladega Nights was one of the worst films I've seen recently, but luckily it was not at the theatre, so I could fast forward.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 27, 2018 10:40AM
NewtonMP2100
....really bad.....the trailer looked bad and Will Ferrell's movies have been bad.....

agree smiley
Saw the trailer and thought 'Doyle's work was never intended for comedic adaptation and wow, does Ferrell suck'.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 10:42AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 27, 2018 11:19AM
with Will Ferrell, is that a surprise?

My thought exactly.

I've never found him funny, ever. I didn't seem him on SNL, I gave up on it before his 'generation'.

I've watched a couple movies on my own volition, and have been trapped to watch a few more. He reminds me of an unfunny Chevy Chase. when Chevy Chase stopped being funny.

Saying I'd rather watch a test pattern is going a little too far, though.

What am I saying. It's not.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 27, 2018 11:24AM
I thought Talladega Nights was hilarious, which surprised me because I never liked Will Ferrell much at all. So I decided to watch Anchorman and I hated it. I guess Talladega Nights just happened to hit on some topics I find funny.

Posted by: GGD
Date: December 27, 2018 12:27PM
There was one character that he played well, and that was Bush, but demand for that dried up about 10 years ago. I do wonder if any consideration was given to casting him in the new movie Vice.

On further thought, he also deserves a lot of credit for More Cowbell.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 27, 2018 01:09PM
RAMd®d
He reminds me of an unfunny Chevy Chase. when Chevy Chase stopped being funny.

Both strike me as being convinced that they are funnier than they actually are.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 27, 2018 01:12PM
The scene in the commercial where they're trying to shoot the bees is funny.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 27, 2018 01:37PM
DeusxMac
RAMd®d
He reminds me of an unfunny Chevy Chase. when Chevy Chase stopped being funny.

I agree entirely, but as with Chevy Chase early on, the people who like Will Ferrell's brand of comedy really love it and will spend money to go see it.

MrNoBody
NewtonMP2100

agree smiley
Saw the trailer and thought 'Doyle's work was never intended for comedic adaptation and wow, does Ferrell suck'.

I'll respectfully disagree on one point: The Sherlock Holmes series is ripe for a fantastic parody, but it would take someone both clever and cynical who was a fan of, or at least very familiar with, the works to really skewer it as it deserves. Something along the lines of Murder By Death (the "Telling Off" scene in particular wherein the plot holes and cheap murder-solving devices common to each series of detective novels are exposed and enumerated) but focused specifically on Holmes would be an instant classic.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 27, 2018 02:32PM
I like both actors and think they have had some real gems in the past. Sounds to me this latest attempt might have shared responsibility with the director, writers, and probably a whole slew of other folks responsible for the final product.

Remember, they're just actors, being told what to say and HOW to say it! Cut them a little slack. Even academy award winning actors have some stinker movies in their careers.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 27, 2018 03:14PM
RAMd®d
I've watched a couple movies on my own volition, and have been trapped to watch a few more. He reminds me of an unfunny Chevy Chase. when Chevy Chase stopped being funny.

By the time Chevy stopped being funny, he'd alienated everyone around him and was almost universally despised as a bully and a wretch.

From what I hear, Will Ferrell is a very nice guy.

Date: December 27, 2018 05:01PM
....even as recently as on 'Community'.......allegedly Chevy had issues with co-stars.....

Posted by: dk62
Date: December 27, 2018 06:05PM
The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 27, 2018 07:19PM
vision63

I actually laughed at that. For the rest, I guess it's nice to see 3-Stooges-level slapstick is still in vogue. I can't stand anyone messing with Holmes, anyway (one episode of the nasty modern-day 'Sherlock' was enough for me).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 28, 2018 03:16AM
mrlynn
vision63

I actually laughed at that. For the rest, I guess it's nice to see 3-Stooges-level slapstick is still in vogue. I can't stand anyone messing with Holmes, anyway (one episode of the nasty modern-day 'Sherlock' was enough for me).

/Mr Lynn

Yeah, I won't be going to see it.
Date: December 28, 2018 04:57AM
mrlynn -
I can't stand anyone messing with Holmes...

So, neither of these either?

Basil?

Jeremy?

-Albert Einstein

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 28, 2018 09:08AM
MrNoBody
mrlynn -
I can't stand anyone messing with Holmes...

So, neither of these either?

Basil?

Jeremy?

No, not those! They weren't 'messing'. Basil and Jeremy both treated Holmes with great respect, and honored the Sir Arthur's creation with terrific, committed performances.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 28, 2018 09:19AM
Most of the early Sherlock productions were parodies, not a serious treatment of Doyle's stories.
Date: December 28, 2018 09:21AM
.....off topic but just discovered that Jeremy Brett was gay......left his 1st wife for a man and had 2 relationships with men.....eventually marrying a woman again [ but the marriage seemed to be of convenience as he said he only saw her a few months of the year ]....

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 28, 2018 12:15PM
Carnos Jax
Wow, that seems to affirm some jock on our local sports radio station saying he walked out of the movie after 15 minutes....it really is that bad huh?

I wanted to walk out of the trailer, but then again I would argue that the only time Will Ferrell has ever been funny was the "More Cowbell" sketch... and if it had lasted another 10 seconds he would have stopped being funny even there.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 28, 2018 12:58PM

Absolutely.

It doesn't bother me a bit that other people might find either funny and enjoyable. And I did like some of the early Chevy, but he wore on my quickly enough.

Ferrell may be a nice guy, but I didn't see him as a talent in anything he's done or on a few talk show interviews.

On the other hand, there are some talented actors, some I like, some not so much, who are absolutely great talk show guests. In some cases, that's helped me overlook some minor criticisms and get on with enjoying their work.

Any actor can and usually does have a bad movie/show in their past (or present, LOL). But there are some that actors that I just don't enjoy.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 28, 2018 02:35PM
Ferrell was hilarious as Alex Trebek in the old SNL sketches and marginally funny in Stepbrothers. Everything else... meh.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 28, 2018 04:31PM
Will Ferrell did a great job on Elf.
I'm not a fan of his other movies, and will not be going to see Holmes & Watson
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: December 28, 2018 05:22PM
I saw it on Christmas. It suuuuucked!!!!! Was ready to leave 20 minutes in.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 28, 2018 08:21PM
I liked Anchorman. Still haven't seen Talladega Nights. Also, believe it or not, I never saw the More Cowbell sketch.

As for Chevy, I thought he was great in Caddyshack and the Fletch movies. I think the Vacation movies might be more of an acquired taste but after seeing them many times over the years I really enjoy them.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 28, 2018 09:20PM
AllGold
Also, believe it or not, I never saw the More Cowbell sketch.

Dude. You need to remedy that situation -- RIGHT NOW.

[vimeo.com]

AllGold
I think the Vacation movies might be more of an acquired taste but after seeing them many times over the years I really enjoy them.

I only like the original Vacation movie. Actually, scratch that -- I enjoy the Vegas one, too, but mostly because the actress who plays Audrey is hot.

It is what it is.
Date: December 29, 2018 12:28AM
AllGold -
As for Chevy, I thought he was great in Caddyshack...

Perhaps because of Dangerfield, Knight, & Murray's presence he realized his "replaceability". Similar to SNL, his best work came when working with the best as in the Paul Mooney authored 'Job Interview - Word Association' skit with the master, Richard Pryor. "dead honky"

Salon -
Two weeks later, Chevy Chase made the cover of New York magazine, which dubbed him “the funniest man in America” and quoted an unnamed network executive championing him as “the first real potential successor to Johnny Carson,” and predicting he’d be guest-hosting Tonight within six months.
Carson, understandably, offered a less-than-glowing assessment of Chevy’s skills. “He couldn’t ad-lib a fart after a baked-bean dinner.”
[www.salon.com]

imho, Johnny Carson knew what it took to be a great comedian.

-Albert Einstein

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 29, 2018 09:19AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Ferrell was hilarious as Alex Trebek in the old SNL sketches and marginally funny in Stepbrothers. Everything else... meh.

I'll add the academic hot tub skits, which had me in stitches. Again, I do think that his funny moments were probably the results of show writers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018