advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Favorite flavor of Linux for a '09 MBP 13"?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 27, 2018 01:00PM
Hi everyone,

I've been itching to play with Linux for quite a while and decided I want to give it a try on a machine I don't use for anything in particular. It's a '09 13" MBP non-Retina with 16gb RAM and a 480gb SSD.

I was considering these flavors:

Ubunto:

[www.ubuntu.com]

ElementaryOS:

[elementary.io]

Deepin:

[www.deepin.org]

Ubunto is the standard for basic easy to use rock-solid LINUX. Elementary and Deepin are both based on Ubunto. The key difference is the Interface. Both are inspired by OS X and are considered very elegant and easy to use for first time LINUX dabblers like me.

What do you'll think? Ubunto, Elementary or Deepin?

Thanks,

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Favorite flavor of Linux for a '09 MBP 13"?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 27, 2018 01:16PM
I too was highly interested in Linux and other "ix" distributions...until I started running OS X.

I think I have a Quadra 650 with NetBSD on it somewhere out in my garage.

[wiki.netbsd.org]
Posted by: srf1957
Date: December 27, 2018 01:44PM
Linux has gone from the idea of a cheap OS for the masses . To something you basically have too hunt for code to get something to work .
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 27, 2018 02:55PM
silvarios was one of the main Linux advocates but any recommendations that he made are over a year old now.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 02:55PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: timg
Date: December 27, 2018 04:12PM
I haven't used either, but if I had to pick, I'd probably go with elemenary since it is Ubuntu based where as deepin is debian based.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 27, 2018 06:39PM
Filliam H. Muffman
silvarios was one of the main Linux advocates but any recommendations that he made are over a year old now.

I hadn't noticed... makes me kinda sad... I've always meant to give it a try and poke around a bit.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 28, 2018 01:55AM
I’d recommend getting a cheap used windows laptop somewhere rather than sacrificing a Mac. Ask the IT guy at work. S/he probably has a stack of older machines to be recycled. Make sure it’s at least a 64bit cpu. Ubuntu dropped 32bit support recently. I have an ancient Dell latitude 410 that is still running version 16.04 of Ubuntu quite nicely, but it’s at the end of the road as it’s a 32bit cpu.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 28, 2018 05:58AM
Linux Mint is my choice for a Linux distribution. It is easiest to use and it's based on Ubuntu.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 28, 2018 08:07AM
[arstechnica.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 28, 2018 08:41AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely won't be buying another machine just for playing with Linux. The Mbp is a spare that is barely used by anyone for anything. Thoring Linux onto it will actually be a better use of the machine than it's current job of doing pretty much nothing. Sounds like Elementary is going to be a good starting point. I'll give that one a whirl. smiling smiley

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018