advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon gift returns shipping costs
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 28, 2018 10:45AM
Our daughter gave us an 8qt. Instant Pot for Christmas. Realistically, we'll never use it (which is why I never bought one myself for our use). She lives in our house, so the shipping address is obviously the same. Either of us can process the return with Amazon. Does anyone know if gift returns are subject to a return shipping fee and if so, does it make any difference whether she makes the return as the original purchaser or we do as the gift recipient?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon gift returns shipping costs
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 28, 2018 10:49AM
I can't address the specific "Gift Situation", but I recently had a return and they bill you $10.00 for return shipping.

Actually, they reduce your refund by $10.00. Then send you a shipping label and instructions.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 28, 2018 11:07AM
I wonder if you can return to some Whole Foods, or I even learned that they have a deal with Kohls and you can return at some Kohl's stores to avoid shipping fees. This is how Kohl's stays relevant these days, b y partnership with Amazon.

[www.businessinsider.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2018 11:08AM by space-time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2018 11:08AM
......as long as it won't become..... the Gift of the Madguy [ Magi ]......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: December 28, 2018 11:23AM
space-time
I wonder if you can return to some Whole Foods, or I even learned that they have a deal with Kohls and you can return at some Kohl's stores to avoid shipping fees. This is how Kohl's stays relevant these days, b y partnership with Amazon.

I was thinking about something like that. Return to Kohls, Target, Walmart...whatever. But if we returned it to Amazon she'd get back the amount paid (less return shipping costs). If you return to somewhere else without a receipt, they'll only refund the lowest price that the item ever sold for. Can't fault them for that. I'd have to do the math and compare.

-edit-

Kohls would definitely be convenient and would save shipping costs, but it seems to be available only in certain areas (we're in MA).

Frankly, the Amazon return would certainly be easiest. It's just a matter of whether it makes a difference who returns the item; me or her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2018 11:28AM by wurm.
Date: December 28, 2018 11:27AM
....don't think there is a way for you to initiate the return....so even if 'you' are returning it, she has to initiate the return from her account......

Date: December 28, 2018 11:33AM
NewtonMP2100
....don't think there is a way for you to initiate the return....so even if 'you' are returning it, she has to initiate the return from her account......

I see ways to return a "gift" on Amazon's website and it appears to be something they expect can happen. Not sure what info they ask for, but they apparently match it up somehow.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 28, 2018 12:21PM
I'd suggest a call to AMZ customer service, but sometimes they don't seem to know the answer.

I returned something I ordered by mistake, and they charged me a return fee, much less than $10. If it's defective or not as advertised in some way, they've offered a refund, and have and I reordered.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 28, 2018 12:34PM
Rather than all the speculation, why don't you just go through the process. Amazon will tell you what, if any, return shipping fees there might be up front, before you "finalize" the return. So you can see what the shipping cost might be for you as the gift recipient, and then abort and try again through your daughter's account. Chances are, you'll have a return shipping fee (since you simply don't want it) unless you lie and say the description wasn't accurate or one of the other choices that don't incur a fee.
Date: December 28, 2018 01:31PM
True, that will give me a definitive answer, but I thought it might be something someone might know through past experience, rather than effectively going through two separate partial transactions. I also thought it might be hidden somewhere on their website that I just couldn't find.
Posted by: MEG
Date: December 28, 2018 03:05PM
IIRC if you use an Amazon Locker for the return there are no shipping costs. Of course, that's only convenient if there's one near you...
Date: December 28, 2018 03:09PM
IIRC if you use an Amazon Locker for the return there are no shipping costs.

I did not know that. I haven't had a recent return, but use the lockers all the time.

I'll have to paw through the site for details. That might not work for third-party shippers.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: December 28, 2018 04:11PM
wurm
space-time

I was thinking about something like that. Return to Kohls, Target, Walmart...whatever. But if we returned it to Amazon she'd get back the amount paid (less return shipping costs). If you return to somewhere else without a receipt, they'll only refund the lowest price that the item ever sold for. Can't fault them for that. I'd have to do the math and compare.

I did not suggest that. I was suggesting to see if you can return to AMAZON from a Kohl's store, not to return it to one of these stores without a receipt.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 28, 2018 04:21PM
Check and see if there's a B&M Amazon location close enough to you. There's one in Midtown Atlanta where you can return anything for no shipping fees.

Might not be available depending on where you live, but worth looking into.
Date: December 28, 2018 05:55PM
space-time
wurm
space-time

I did not suggest that. I was suggesting to see if you can return to AMAZON from a Kohl's store, not to return it to one of these stores without a receipt.

That was why I edited my response. The Amazon @ Kohls option is for only limited stores. And there's one not particularly convenient for me, but a possibility. Although it looks like it's relevant only for Amazon "devices" (Kindle, Alexa, etc.). Maybe I'll call them and confirm.
Date: December 28, 2018 05:58PM
Cool. See if there is an amazon locker, or if the price was good, try to sell it in CraigsList.

I scorred a Roku 4K for $50 on Black Friday, and we no longer had the white elephant game at the office so I can either sent it back, or sell to to someone. I paid a $53.50 with tax and shipping to someone in US would be another $7.20 so someone could have it for $61. Amazon sells it for $72 (+tax) so someone could still get a better deal. Artie seems interested. maybe you can post in on the other side and see if anyone MRF local to you is interested.
Posted by: ADent
Date: December 29, 2018 04:16AM
We have an Amazon 4 star store near us - no charge to return stuff there.
Date: December 29, 2018 08:54AM
We have an Amazon 4 star store near us - no charge to return stuff there.

I gots to know...

What is an Amazon 4 Star Store?

What store is it, in your case?

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: December 29, 2018 07:20PM
.....just stay clear of locker.....room.....talk.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020