Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
January 1, 1983: Apple launches the Apple IIe, 3rd model in the Apple II series
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 01, 2019 12:31PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

January 1, 1983: Apple launches the Apple IIe, the third model in the Apple II series — and the last before the Macintosh will arrive a year later.
It proved a big seller for Apple, and proof positive of the Apple II brand’s sustained

The Apple IIe took over from the Apple II Plus. Originally, Apple planned to abandon the Apple II with that model and replace the product line with the Apple III. However, the continued popularity of the Apple II, and the market failure of the Apple III — largely thanks to its high price and some glaring engineering faults — pushed Apple to upgrade its proven hit product for another go-around. (In the end, Apple continued producing some version of the Apple II until the early 1990s.)

The Apple IIe added as standard some of the functionality that Apple II enthusiasts already enjoyed, thanks to the impressive number of expansion slots the Apple IIe offered. This included 80-column text-mode support, 64KB of RAM (expandable up to 128KB) and, for the first time, lower-case letters!

It also dropped the chip count on the motherboard from more than 100 to just 31. That let Apple squeeze out more profit from each machine sold — approximately three times more than the computer cost to manufacture.

The computer showed strong sales in the marketplace, moving 60,000 to 70,000 units per month by May 1983. This was about twice the average sales of its predecessor, the Apple II Plus. The Apple IIe continued as the best-selling Apple II model even after Cupertino released its successor, the Apple IIc, in 1984.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: January 1, 1983: Apple launches the Apple IIe, 3rd model in the Apple II series
Posted by: Schpark
Date: January 01, 2019 01:57PM
It was my first computer.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Re: January 1, 1983: Apple launches the Apple IIe, 3rd model in the Apple II series
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: January 01, 2019 06:51PM
My first Apple computer too. Added a 10MB (Wow) hard drive and an Apple dot matrix printer.
Posted by: hotdogthemovie
Date: January 01, 2019 09:28PM
My first was the II+. 48k of ram, dual floppy drives, and a color monitor!
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 01, 2019 09:40PM
MindMeld
My first Apple computer too. Added a 10MB (Wow) hard drive and an Apple dot matrix printer.

Was the printer called the Imagewriter at that time?

I sooo wanted a IIe. My friend had one and I refused to buy anything but an Apple computer. It wasn't until I bought a Fat Mac (which I traded in 10 days later for the just released Mac Plus. I was glad I waited.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 02, 2019 12:03AM
I was about two months into my stint at Apple. At the time, they gave new hires a computer. I would have been in line for a II+, but they were ramping up for the IIe release, so I had to wait, but got a IIe instead of a II+. I was a happy camper. I think the total package value with 2 Disk][s and a monitor was about $2500 in 1983 dollars.

I think Imagewriter was the printer for the Apple line, introduced late in 1983, also compatible with the Apple II, III, Lisa (IIRC) and later, the Mac. There was the Imagewriter II later. The first laser printer came up with the Mac Plus. It was going to be called the Lightwriter, but Apple couldn't get the name, so it became the Laserwriter. There was an NAS device in the works at the same time as the LW, but it never saw the light of day.

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 02, 2019 01:16AM
lost in space
I was about two months into my stint at Apple. At the time, they gave new hires a computer. I would have been in line for a II+, but they were ramping up for the IIe release, so I had to wait, but got a IIe instead of a II+. I was a happy camper. I think the total package value with 2 Disk][s and a monitor was about $2500 in 1983 dollars.

I think Imagewriter was the printer for the Apple line, introduced late in 1983, also compatible with the Apple II, III, Lisa (IIRC) and later, the Mac. There was the Imagewriter II later. The first laser printer came up with the Mac Plus. It was going to be called the Lightwriter, but Apple couldn't get the name, so it became the Laserwriter. There was an NAS device in the works at the same time as the LW, but it never saw the light of day.

That had to be the ripest time of all the time to work at Apple. The sweet free computer. The ability to actually buy a freaking house nearby. Good times.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: January 02, 2019 06:26PM
My first computer too. Got the whole package still: IIe, DuoDisk, Monitor III and an Epson RX-80FT+.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018