advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone wear Darn Tough Socks?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 01, 2019 02:17PM
I wonder if they would help with diabetic neuropathy - just a little bit would make a difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 02:24PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone wear Darn Tough Socks?
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 01, 2019 02:32PM
I do when headed out in the woods. Full cushion. Great socks but I don't know if they would help for your condition.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 01, 2019 02:34PM
I absolutely swear by them for backpacking. I will wear nothing else. Because the keep feet nice and warm and dry. The 'dry' part is key. If that sounds like it would be helpful, then you should absolutely buy them.

PLUS they are guaranteed for life - they will replace worn out socks for free - no questions asked. And they'll do it over and over again forever.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 01, 2019 04:06PM
No but wife use to darn my socks.

How to Darn a Sock in 3 Minutes.
[www.theartofdoingstuff.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 01, 2019 04:50PM
Dennis,

Gotta disagree with Pam and Hal on socks fro Darn Tough. I've got a pair which I use as everyday socksand I find the section of the sock that is on top of the foot, just below the ankle gets uncomfortable after wearing them all day.

This is the model:

[www.amazon.com]

I bought them because all of my socks develop hols after a few months to a year and I got tired of constantly buying replacements. The Darn Tough socks are holding well well but I choose them last because of the comfort issue. IF Darn Tough designs their other models in the same way, then I know I wouldn't want them.

I prefer the Merino Wool socks from Duluth Trading. I bought a pair each of the lightweight crew and quarter models and they're comfortable and have held up beautifully under stress. No comfort issue just below my ankle, at the top of my foot. I'd get them again without hesitation.

Note, I have diabetes but do not have neuropathy. However, I'm on my feet constantly and need tough, comfortable socks. The Duluth Merino wool models are doing the job.

Note, although I'm a huge fan of Duluth products, these socks did not hold up well. Comfortable as heck but not durable:

<[www.duluthtrading.com];

I do not recommend them. I'm sure if I contacted Duluth they would've replaced them for me but I never got around to it.

There are other brands like Bombas and SmartWool with good reputations. Haven't tried them yet nor do I know if they are good for those who suffer from neuropathy.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 04:50PM by Robert M.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 01, 2019 06:52PM
My son likes his. I switched to 100% Smartwool a decade ago when my diabetic diagnosis hit home. I even got a set of summer weight ones. (those wore out in 5 years). I stopped bothering with hand washing them because impatience.

I'm just now hitting the point where peripheral neuropathy is making itself known... "fizzy feet" at night perhaps half the time. My peripheral circulation is still great though, so I'm not really worried. I don't get 'pinch marks' at the top, so they don't really bother me with that. I will pull them loose if need be.
Posted by: Wags
Date: January 01, 2019 09:37PM
$20 seems like a lot of dough for a pair of socks. Or perhaps I've now achieved full geezerhood?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2019 09:41PM
....sock it to me....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 01, 2019 10:29PM
Wags
$20 seems like a lot of dough for a pair of socks. Or perhaps I've now achieved full geezerhood?
Good socks will last years. DarnTough have a lifetime warranty. You can buy socks every 6 months. Or buy them once.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 02, 2019 03:56AM
My wife got me 2 pairs for Christmas this year, as she got tired of me complaining about the Costco socks constantly getting holes ripped in them where my toes are. We'll see how long they last. The one pair is listed as for hiking, and it is large and comfortable, the other is for cycling, and it is much tighter and harder to put on. So far, in daily use they are comfortable, just not quite as comfortable as the hiking version.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 02, 2019 08:14AM
....That Darn Cat.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 02, 2019 08:46AM
I bought a pack of 6 pairs of Dickies Work Boot Socks at Marshalls for 6 bucks. 50/50 cotton/poly blend. Leather/goretex boots. Walked a mile in 20 mins on sidewalk this morning. At a dollar a pair, they seem fine to me.
But with all that said, I would gladly accept and appreciate a nice pair of $20 socks as a gift. Great last minute gift for hard to shop for persons thumbs up thumbs up
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 02, 2019 11:07AM
Sam3
...socks constantly getting holes ripped in them where my toes are...

I find that keeping my toe nails short helps prevent this from happening, YMMV.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 308
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018