advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gmail spam filters (follow up)
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 03, 2019 06:10PM
Just a follow-up question from the original thread.

I've received a few more similar spam emails into my Inbox since I first posted this. They all have the same exact beginning to the Subject line. The only thing that changes is what they're "welcoming" me to. I just tried to set up a Gmail filter to catch any email with - - Welcome in the Subject line, but Gmail seems to ignore the dashes and catches anything with Welcome in it. That won't work. I tried using quotes, too. No dice.

Any other thoughts? I really though google was smarter than spammers. thinking.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gmail spam filters (follow up)
Posted by: hal
Date: January 03, 2019 07:41PM
You didn't mention if you marked the originals as spam on the gmail site - that's certainly step one.
Date: January 03, 2019 10:11PM
Oh yeah, that was the first thing I did. And I've marked every one since then as spam. That's why I've been surprised that it doesn't seem to be learning. These are the only ones that make it to my Inbox. And it's always - - Welcome to (whatever). Very strange.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 03, 2019 10:48PM
Gmail seems to be slipping. I'm regularly getting several spam emails that I report AS spam. Why Google keeps passing them through is beyond me (unless insurance and dope spammer/scammers are paying Google off). angry villagers smiley
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 04, 2019 02:31AM
I've found that it takes a few weeks to a couple months for spam from some sources to be reliably filtered by Gmail. Eventually their algorithm will do so and even start blocking these sources completely.
Date: January 04, 2019 08:55AM
Indeed. I will exercise patience with Google. They're otherwise right on the money with their filtering.

BTW, I just got another this morning with the same - -Welcome to... Subject line. I guess if that's my biggest complaint in life at the moment, I should consider myself very fortunate.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 04, 2019 12:06PM
Is there a chance they are including non-printing/hidden characters in the subject line to defeat the "Welcome" filter? It would take looking at the email header to be sure.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 05, 2019 07:37AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Is there a chance they are including non-printing/hidden characters in the subject line to defeat the "Welcome" filter? It would take looking at the email header to be sure.

interesting idea.
Date: January 05, 2019 12:48PM
I did check the full headers. And I found something very interesting there. Once i scroll through all the usual crazy mx info (there a lot of it), these all look as though they are replies to what seem to be legitimate emails; and all from different companies (a couple of follow-ups from real colleges; instructions to complete a forum registration; acknowledgement of a password change to a Microsoft account (it didn't ask for any info, just confirmed that a change was made).

Very strange.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018