advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
replacing outlets with integrated usb
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 06, 2019 11:04AM
But I want a quality plug. Any recommendations? Those I see advertised online look cheaply made, and not much selection at the big box stores.

Also, anything else you may do, like integrated wifi, etc?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: replacing outlets with integrated usb
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 06, 2019 11:06AM
Sadly, as USB charging requirements keep changing and evolving, any fixed outlet will become obsolete in short order. There's also the 'parasitic electric usage' element where the outlet is always 'on' sucking down a few watts. I doubt any of them have the demand on/off circuit that some modern wall warts have.
Date: January 06, 2019 11:14AM
Good points, cb. I had not thought of the power draws

Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 06, 2019 11:16AM
I haven't used them extensively, but I chose [www.topgreener.com] for mine.

I chose the 3 USB outlets (5.8A max) with two 120v outlets. It seems like a lot of others options max out at 2A or 3.4A, and this has an extra USB outlet as well. The one I just installed yesterday had "pro" style backwire clamps which made wiring very quick.

They also have USB-C options, and QuickCharge options (I also purchased a dual QC with one 120V outlet for my Arlo cams but haven't installed that one yet).
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 06, 2019 12:44PM
don't. a normal outlet will never fail. These USB always ON thingies might fail. More expensive to replace than wall warts that come with every iPhone and iPad.

Also I do not feel comfortable having 120V so close to my USB cables.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 06, 2019 12:48PM
I think OWC sells some.

Instead, consider putting a quality power strip with built in USB. USB-A are pretty useful even with USB-C coming online.
Posted by: raz
Date: January 06, 2019 01:15PM
I was trying to install one and my electrician said they were a code violation.
Might be a local thing though.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 06, 2019 01:17PM
I bought two of the OWC ones. These are high quality UL-rated devices and work very well but I don't like the shutter switches on the first generation version. At the time, these were the only ones that turned off when you unplugged your device. I'm not sure if there are others on the market now that aren't "always on". Fortunately, the second generation OWC model has done away with the shutter switches and uses an internal switch (and also uses a standard faceplate. Note that these are on sale at fire sale prices right now: [eshop.macsales.com]

The only issue with these is that because they have much higher charging rates (2.5 amps) than most of the competitors, the device behind the faceplate is bulky and requires a large size electrical box. Their spec indicates a minimum of 16 cubic inches, though this is pushing the envelope and only works if you have no extra wires coming into the box.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 01:19PM by davester.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 06, 2019 01:33PM
raz
I was trying to install one and my electrician said they were a code violation.
Might be a local thing though.

Last I looked the national code discouraged mixing low voltage and high voltage outlets in the same box/wall outlet. So though allowed in the NEC, many local codes do not allow them.

P.S. As the NEC is published by a trade organization, it does not carry the force of law. Each local jurisdiction has its code requirement that do have the force of law, though many are based on the NEC. But not all provisions are adopted, and local codes may have additional requirements not in the NEC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 01:43PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 06, 2019 03:57PM
I guess it depends on the location and your interior styling requirements. If you absolutely need two outlets and multiple high power USB-C or USB 3.1 fast charging, you could put in a quad outlet with a recess for something like an Anker PowerPort 6.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 06, 2019 06:12PM
Davester,

I have a couple of the OWC versions - original models - and the shutters were such a nuisance that I stopped using the USB ports. And, yes, for installation, they require a larger box in the wall. Since USB standards _and_ the power requirements of devices change, I've since abandoned the idea of outlets with USB ports. Not worth it. Definitely better off with a power strip with USB ports built into it or USB multiport devices.

Robert
Posted by: pqrst
Date: January 06, 2019 10:59PM
sekker
I think OWC sells some.

Instead, consider putting a quality power strip with built in USB. USB-A are pretty useful even with USB-C coming online.

I’ve been using this Ikea power strip for years for on the go needs. The usb output is 1 amp so not a speedy one but the ac cord is 10 feet long which really helps to avoid searching for extension cords.

[www.ikea.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 11:01PM by pqrst.
Date: January 07, 2019 01:18PM
I'm going to try a couple of the models that davester posted. Fit that price, it's a no brainer.

Posted by: Carm
Date: January 07, 2019 06:53PM
I was looking at getting those outlets from OWC but ended up just getting these type.
[www.costco.com]
The one I got was a two pack with 4 USB ports and 6 power ports. It was about $30 at Costco.
[www.homedepot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 06:53PM by Carm.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 07, 2019 07:51PM
Carm
I was looking at getting those outlets from OWC but ended up just getting these type.
[www.costco.com]
The one I got was a two pack with 4 USB ports and 6 power ports. It was about $30 at Costco.
[www.homedepot.com]

Those look handy, though they don't say whether they're the constant-on or switched type. I would not touch a constant-on type.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018