advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any Ryobi ONE+ users here?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 06, 2019 04:46PM
I've got some older Ryobi kit— the orange stuff, not the Kawasaki Mean Green.

I need a battery, maybe two, probably 2Ah will do. I see the new Green stuff works with all Ryobi tools. Anybody know if I need a new charger for the new batteries?

I'd just as soon spend that money on Apple stuff, if possible.

Scanning ebay, there are some markedly low prices compared to MSRP. Almost too good, if ya know what I mean.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any Ryobi ONE+ users here?
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 06, 2019 05:08PM
According to the FAQ, [www.ryobitools.com]

Can I charge Lithium batteries with a NiCad charger?
Only a Lithium-ion charger can be used to charge Lithium-ion batteries. You can purchase our RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion Upgrade Kit Here.
Posted by: jims
Date: January 06, 2019 05:51PM
I have found that it is within a few dollars to buy one of the new tools with a battery and charger than to just buy batteries alone. You need a new charger as well.

sims
Posted by: CW2V
Date: January 06, 2019 05:54PM
RAMd®d
Scanning ebay, there are some markedly low prices compared to MSRP. Almost too good, if ya know what I mean.

They sell a lot of these tools with an included charger and battery. I ended up getting a 6 port charger before I picked up a few more outdoor tools which also came with a charger. So now I have at least 4 single chargers plus the 6 port one. Simply put, many people don't need all the chargers, so they'll buy the product(s) and sell the charger(s). The small 2Ah batteries don't last long for heavy duty tools, so those will also get sold as people will upgrade. I've got a few 4Ahs and 6Ahs, but keep the 2Ahs for the flashlight, and for small projects when I know I won't need the battery to last that long.

CW2V
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 06, 2019 05:58PM
I would not expect anything bought on ebay for a large discount over HomeDepot prices will be supported by the manufacturer warranty. I bought one of the "green" 5 tool sets almost 4 years ago. The small batteries (1.3 Ah to 2.0 Ah) do not seem to have very long life. 2 out of 4 of mine have lost about 50% of capacity.

They have recently added new battery models that seem specifically intended (at least to me) to just confuse people buying spare/replacement batteries.

I do not have any experience with the older non-lithium tools/batteries/chargers. I would only trust a new charger. As noted, Ryobi says to only use their Lithium-ion chargers with their Lithium-ion batteries.

If you look at the HD site, you need to search for different types of items to see all the available options:
Home >Tools >Power Tool Accessories >Power Tool Batteries & Chargers
Home >Tools >Power Tools >Power Tool Combo Kits
etc.

The current ones seem to be:
- Model # P163
- Store SKU # 1003111526
- Internet ref # 301913880
$49 - Battery and charger www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Dual-Chemistry-IntelliPort-Charger-Upgrade-Kit-P163/301913880

- Model # P1810
- Store SKU # 1000053305
- Internet ref # 205202601
$59 3/8 inch drill, charger, and 1.3 Ah battery - www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-3-8-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-1-3-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-P1810/205202601
A smaller battery but with a drill for $10 more (sell the drill alone on ebay to offset the cost?)

- Model # P196N (Clearance, may need to order delivery)
- Store SKU # 1002964399
- Internet ref # 304193488
$99 5-Tool Combo Kit, charger, two 1.3 Ah batteries www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-5-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-1-3-Ah-Batteries-Dual-Chemistry-Charger-and-Tool-Bag-P1961N/303643835
There is a chance the tools could sell on ebay for more than the clearance price.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 06, 2019 06:56PM
I was a reluctant convert but I'm on the bandwagon now

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 06, 2019 07:20PM
.....there can be only......ONE.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 07, 2019 01:29AM
Thanks for all the information.

It looks like an upgrade kit is in my future.

I've seen sales on various tools with battery and charger but my needs are light, so I don't know that I need anything else.

I'll start looking.

Thanks for the links.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: January 07, 2019 09:43AM
FYI. Ryobi is good for weekend warriors. DeWalt and Milwaukee are the tools of choice for the pros.

CW2V
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 07, 2019 10:20AM
I love mine. I've been using them for 20 years now. The NiCds are all long gone. I will note that the Li chargers can fail and 'false alert'. I actually recycled one Li battery that was probably still good because of this. Grrr.

It's often cheaper to buy a new tool kit than the batteries. Also batteries go on sale a lot.

I also bought into the lawn tools... the weed whacker is a great thing, and the extended pole saw is an amazing device considering how much my messed up shoulder hurts after using the old school branch saw.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 07, 2019 10:20AM
CW2V
FYI. Ryobi is good for weekend warriors. DeWalt and Milwaukee are the tools of choice for the pros.

CW2V

That's what I heard, too. But it's not true. I've treated my Ryobi very rough, and they're fine. I don't, however, use them every day, so maybe they'd burn out, but I've not heard of that happening, either.

For the hard jobs, I still keep my Milwaukee and Porter-Cable corded tools, where cordless doesn't cut it.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 07, 2019 11:10AM
......Help me, Ryobi-Wan Kenobi.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 07, 2019 11:28AM
My Ryobi stuff has been more than adequate.

I'm not a professional, and don't use it regularly, probably why I'm in the market for new batteries and a charger, I guess.

It's often cheaper to buy a new tool kit than the batteries. Also batteries go on sale a lot.

I've seen that from time to time, when I wasn't in the market but probably should have been.

My current, dead batteries are P100/NiCADs. There are a lot of knock-off NiMHs available cheap, but then I'd still need a new charger.

I'll look for some batteries and charger, but I'd prefer them a little sooner than later so a sale may not be in my future.

As always, thanks for all the information.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 07, 2019 12:10PM
mrbigstuff
CW2V

CW2V

That's what I heard, too. But it's not true. I've treated my Ryobi very rough, and they're fine. I don't, however, use them every day, so maybe they'd burn out, but I've not heard of that happening, either.

For the hard jobs, I still keep my Milwaukee and Porter-Cable corded tools, where cordless doesn't cut it.

I agree. Before I retired, I was an industrial carpenter and we used battery tools daily. The coworker snobs wouldn't use anything but DeWalt, but I grabbed a Ryobi kit when the gang leader brought a few sets down for us. I could keep up all day with the fancy Dewalt/Milwaukee/Porter Cable stuff.

I even surprised some of the snobs who insisted Ryobi was 2nd class, weekend warrior junk. I DID rub it in when their batteries would fail and my Ryobi kept chugging along. emoticon-tv-015

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: January 07, 2019 03:01PM
Rick-o
mrbigstuff
CW2V

CW2V

I agree. Before I retired, I was an industrial carpenter and we used battery tools daily. The coworker snobs wouldn't use anything but DeWalt, but I grabbed a Ryobi kit when the gang leader brought a few sets down for us. I could keep up all day with the fancy Dewalt/Milwaukee/Porter Cable stuff.

I even surprised some of the snobs who insisted Ryobi was 2nd class, weekend warrior junk. I DID rub it in when their batteries would fail and my Ryobi kept chugging along. emoticon-tv-015

Well, I hope so. I've sure got a lot invested in them so far.

CW2V
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018