advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using Gnucash as a replacement for Quicken?
Posted by: JEBB
Date: January 07, 2019 06:33AM
Anyone using Gnucash as a replacement for Quicken?

Quicken is 32 bit so it won't work with the next versions of macOS and the latest version is subscription-only and it appears that reconciliation isn't available.

Gnucash is an open source program initially available for Linux Mint OS and Ubuntu but there now is a version for macOS.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using Gnucash as a replacement for Quicken?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 07, 2019 07:18AM
JEBB,

You can still purchase Quicken 2017, which I believe is 64 bit and doesn't require a subscription. I had to buy it so I could use it to create a "Quicken profile" at my bank. I've used Moneydance as a replacement for Quicken and, while it's been getting the job done, the program is buggy, lacks some critical features, lost the ability to download directly transactions from my key bank account and the support is flat out horrible and unresponsive. So, I'm now searching for a replacement for Moneydance. So far, it's either Quicken 2017 or Banktivity. Unfortunately, none of these can completely replace Quicken 2007. None of the reconciliation report that I need for my account for two critical accounts.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 07:22AM by Robert M.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: January 07, 2019 02:14PM
I just downloaded and installed GnuCash for kicks, but it was buggy installing and too complicated (IMHO) to set up. I'll pass.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Doing without a replacement for Quicken
Posted by: JEBB
Date: January 07, 2019 07:53PM
I agree about Gnucash so I moved my copy of Quicken 2007, and its file, to an old Macbook that is running MacOS 10.6.8 and so far Quicken seems to work fine there. I'll just use it for my Quicken data until I come up with a better plan. My Quicken data consists only of cash, checking, and credit card accounts data.

I expect to be able to reconcile the accounts with my bank statements as I have been doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 07:56PM by JEBB.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 11, 2019 09:33AM
Jebb,

A quick followup. I'm staying with Moneydance. Earlier this week but after my post to this thread, the lead developer of Moneydance reached out to me personally and offered to spend time with me on the phone and/or via a video connection to hash out the issues and troubleshoot the problems. That was huge.

We setup the meeting which was insanely positive and helpful. Best of all, working together as a team, he and I actually solved the issue that was keeping Moneydance from directly downloading transactions from my key financial account. This was an issue that has plagued the app and the company since the middle of June '2018 and I was ecstatic that I was able to help him solve the problem.

As a result, I'm definitely staying with Moneydance. FWIW, I was leery of jumping ship. Transitioning regular bank accounts like a checking or credit card account is easy. Transitioning a home loan like a mortgage, on the other hand, is somewhat complex. I really didn't want to have to deal with the agita.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018