advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Want to sign up for a SSA account online, unfreeze credit first
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 07, 2019 10:16AM
I wanted to sign up for a Social Security online account.
I kept getting an error message about they couldn’t verify my info. WTF?
Called them this morning and, as I suspected, it was because I had set up a credit freeze.
They also said, if I had been part of a breach, like Equifax fiasco, that I would have to physically go in to my local SSA office to prove my identity.
Seems crazy to me that the SSA is using the credit bureaus for verification, but apparently that’s the case.

I did a temp unlock, for all three credit agencies, and sure enough, I was able to create my account.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Want to sign up for a SSA account online, unfreeze credit first
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 07, 2019 10:53AM
The signin process was weird. Like.. How the HECK did they know all this stuff ? And then I realized.. they were reading my 'credit history' which includes essentially every place I've ever lived, shopped, done business, friends, old girlfriends, etc...

Welcome to the post privacy world.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 07, 2019 11:08AM
rgC,

I had all my accounts frozen until recently. Went for a new business credit card. Unfroze the temporarily, got the card and froze them again.

Robert
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 07, 2019 12:25PM
Robert M
rgC,

I had all my accounts frozen until recently. Went for a new business credit card. Unfroze the temporarily, got the card and froze them again.

Robert

Yep. I did a one day thaw to get my SSA account.
Still seems odd that the people who gave me my SSN have to use the credit reporting agencies to verify I am who I say I am, especially since your SSN was never meant to be used for credit applications. I guess they gave up on that a long time ago. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018