advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Consumer Reports - worth it?
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 07, 2019 01:55PM
Just wondering how many forumites value it.
$35/yr for digital only.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Consumer Reports - worth it?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 07, 2019 01:57PM
Buck,

I subscribe. The mag ain't perfect by any means but is definitely a useful resource. You should also check out Consumer 101. It's their TV show on NBC on Saturdays. It's surprisingly entertaining and informative.

Robert
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 07, 2019 02:00PM
Library. Sit down to read it once a month. Comfy chairs.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 07, 2019 02:00PM
.....only if you find it useful......used to subscribe back in the day but found that it wasn't that useful [ at least from my perspective ]........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 07, 2019 02:04PM
Steve G.
Library. Sit down to read it once a month. Comfy chairs.

+1

I don't know man, she kinda funny...
I know, everybody funny... now you funny too.
- George Thorogood

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Posted by: raz
Date: January 07, 2019 02:14PM
FWIW, we used to subscribe.

The large appliance reviews *never* matched any unit in stock, we really had no use for their yearly auto reviews, and we generally disagreed with them on tech.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: January 07, 2019 02:19PM
The printed subscriptions can be had from Discount Mags for under $20 on a regular basis.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 07, 2019 02:19PM
I used to pick up a sub for a year when a big purchase was on the horizon, but lately I just use whatever I can glean from CR info they allow free on the interwebs.

I always found it challenging even in the old days because model numbers for products frequently go out of date or are specific to vendors or regions. Not as much of a problem for cars, though.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 07, 2019 02:22PM
Get it from the library.
Date: January 07, 2019 02:25PM
....also found that most of the stuff that they review.....were of no interest.........every few issues there would be one item that I wanted to know about........I'd rather just wait and read it free than pay for it.......

Posted by: davester
Date: January 07, 2019 02:47PM
I find [www.consumersearch.com] to be a better resource than consumer reports, and it's free. It aggregates the findings of other review sites, often including consumer reports. In many cases there are better sources than consumer reports. That said, consumer reports can be a useful source of history of repair data that most other sites (including consumersearch) don't have.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 07, 2019 03:32PM
Good for avoiding bad purchases, not so useful for picking out the best.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: January 07, 2019 03:33PM
Not useful. I had a subscription - a gift, free - and I eventually started tossing them in the recycling without even looking at them.

For example: I wanted information on household cleaners, particularly the "oxy" types. CR had nothing. What they did have was a big article on running shoes, for which there is tons of good review information elsewhere on line. Not only that, running shoes are constantly changing, discontinued and replaced with new models, rendering CRs article obsolete by the time it hit my mailbox. They love to review flashy things they know little or nothing about.

And having a print subscription does NOT give you access to their website. So, worse than not useful.

Posted by: hal
Date: January 07, 2019 03:48PM
There are SO MANY resources on the web - I just don't see the point of a mag sub.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 07, 2019 05:36PM
Yeah, library. That's the place I keep all of my reading material.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 07, 2019 06:24PM
You can get them digitally from the library too.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 07, 2019 06:29PM
I gave up on consumer reports when they rated the Isuzu Pup with top ratings. What a piece of crap. On paper it was a great value for the money but to drive...what a piece of junk.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 07, 2019 06:39PM
I subscribe, though I only use like four times a year.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 07, 2019 07:06PM
Wife and I subscribe, and we use it at least once a year for a major purchase.

This year, it was for the Ego-branded mower and snow blower. So far, all of the comments from CR on those products were spot-on.

Was fantastic for our dishwasher decision a few years ago.

The more recent 'health' articles (including supplements) are actually quite good as well.

I haven't done much on their car reviews in a long time so cannot comment.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 07, 2019 07:09PM
I d/l it from usenet.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 07, 2019 08:00PM
I can access it online using my library card. My library has a portal for various online publications, and consumer reports is one of them.

I never bother. I find info online, usually wirecutter, or just reading reviews at costco.com (when I bought the washer/dryer last Summer).
Posted by: dk62
Date: January 08, 2019 11:01AM
They are more trustworthy than trade publications, as they do not take ads. On the other hand, they frequently lack the expertise for tech stuff. I had a really bad experience with their high-end TV recommendation many years back, but also good experiences with consumer stuff. Their old car buying service was good, their new free one is really bad. I still subscribe, more from inertia than need.
Posted by: JPK
Date: January 08, 2019 12:10PM
I have found the way they rate things vs the way I rate things was to different.

I always sensed they skewed to certain brands and types - and never like Macs, so I stopped subscribing.

They claim "independence" but I think that is not always to the benefit of readers.

JPK
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 08, 2019 05:27PM
A couple of decades ago, I made a $1000 donation to ConsumerReports and received a Lifetime Subscription to CR's Online content. I use it several times a year. old fogey smiley
Posted by: srf1957
Date: January 08, 2019 07:54PM
They are running some kind of prize giveaway . Donate to them and can win car or 34k . My mom got one in the mail the other day . My dad subscribed to it almost 30 years ago .
Date: January 09, 2019 06:37AM
.....most magazine subscriptions, unless you are an avid fan of the subject matter, are a waste.........used to get subscriptions to multiple magazine and they usually sat on a desk because most of the time too busy to read and found myself forcing myself to read them......unless you have excess time and really love the subject matter.....don't buy subscriptions.....they just end up in recycle bin and wasted money.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018