advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hands-on: Matrix PowerWatch 2 is a fitness-tracking smartwatch...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 08, 2019 07:24AM
Hands-on: Matrix PowerWatch 2 is a fitness-tracking smartwatch that uses body heat for power, integrates Google Fit

Ok, that last bit puts me off, since I'm googlephobic. Then there's also the fact that it's an Indigogo thing. And maybe the $499 projected price. Still, it's interesting in concept. Still early days, though.

A huge issue with most smartwatches though and some fitness trackers is battery life, or at the very least remembering to charge the thing. The Matrix PowerWatch 2, though, completely lacks that problem because it draws its power from the user’s body heat. Watches with this feature are nothing new [WTF! First I've heard], but this is one of the only smartwatches to offer it. It also gathers extra power with a solar cell for increased power output.

Big display for older eyes. I like whole idea of this watch, but it still needs work, especially on the two-way aspect.

[9to5google.com]

I feel the need to shower.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hands-on: Matrix PowerWatch 2 is a fitness-tracking smartwatch...
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 08, 2019 07:37AM
How long does it run if you take it off? how does it run in the summer when ambient temp is the same as human body? in order to convert heat into power you need a temperature difference.

EDIT: found a review on Amazon about gen 1 powerwatch that explains that it does not work in warm climates

[www.amazon.com]

Does not charge in warm climates, you will need a thermal charger
December 26, 2018
I bought this watch because they advertise “powered by body heat”. Unfortunately it does not live up to that claim.
In warm climates (e.g. on vacation in Mexico) it can’t get enough power to keep the watch alive. So you will need to carry a thermal charger (not provided) with you on vacation.
Also, the Milanese loop metal watch band rusted through at the claps after only 4 months, and then when I discovered it had almost rotted through at the end clasp as well. They sent a replacement band which took 4 months to arrive.
Summary: this watch has quality problems and does not live up to intended purpose, which is to run forever if you wear it forever.
This watch is a great concept, but it appears it was released before the technology was ready.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 07:49AM by space-time.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 08, 2019 09:32AM
Summary: this watch has quality problems and does not live up to intended purpose, which is to run forever if you wear it forever.

LOL! This guy needs to work on his reading comprehension and managing his expectations.

Too bad about not working in warm climates.

Maybe 2.0 will far better.

I like the idea, but it still needs work.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 08, 2019 09:38AM
Will a thermal detonator charge it?

That watch is my kind of scum!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018